ACMESkydiver

SO How Bad is it REALLY to Pirate a Wireless Signal??

I would not do my taxes over an unsecured wireless connection but I think you have about the same odds of winning the lottery and getting struck by Lightening on the same day as you do as you of someone happening to be in your neighborhood, Sniffing your packets at that moment and extracting personal info.

When I am taveling for work and need to check my email between visits to client sites, I have been known to pull into the parking lot of randon hotels and do just that on thier unsecured wireless signals.

-Who's sniffing my wha...? :oWhat if my husband finds out?! :o:o

I better stop! My hubby is kinda fond of my 'packets' and I doubt he'd be pleased to know that somebody else is sniffing them. :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

it is bad. It is theft and criminal.

Sorry, It's neither. FCC says that broadcasters are responsible for governing what they put out, not receivers.

With Wi-Fi networks, you're both broadcasting, so that standpoint doesn't really mean much. That said, people... secure your networks. And if you run across a network that isn't secure, well...

If the person doesn't know enough about a wireless router to setup WPA2, they probably don't know enough about their internet connection and/or the workings of their computer to notice you using it to check e-mail or browse the web for a bit. But remember to at least be courteous about it, and use application-layer security to protect your own information as applicable. (this holds true for any communication over the internet though)

well, i use my limit every month. if someone used my wireless signal once my limit was up i would go and slash their tyres if it was possible to know who it was.

I had a guy use my singla before i secured it. They went 2 0 gb over my limit while we were away. That cost me $3000.

No, it does not all work out in the end.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

My wireless is secured, but I have unlimited. So what would be wrong with one of my neighbors using it? Other than me leaving myself open on an unsecured network....

Simple. The more people can pirate someone elses service the fewer that have to pay for the service and the internet provider falls even shorter of their intended revenues. They respond by raising the prices for those that are paying hence it is not a victimless crime.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

With Wi-Fi networks, you're both broadcasting, so that standpoint doesn't really mean much.

In one technical sense, yes, but not in the way we're talking about.

Meaning, chances are the person who's broadcasting a wifi internet connection cares more about its misuse than the person who's 'broadcasting' (in a sense) to tap into that connection.

Beyond that I agree with you about securing it.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

if someone used my wireless signal once my limit was up i would go and slash their tyres if it was possible to know who it was.

I'm feeling your pain here, but think of it this way.

I take a couple thousand bucks out of the bank and decide to store it in a shoebox sitting in the middle of my street. It's my money and my box. If someone takes that money I'm going to slash their tyres.

Surprisingly, only about 15-20% of my neighbors leave their AP's open.

The advantage of leaving your access point open is then you can blame wireless pirates when the RIAA says you illegally downloaded music. Seems like they'll have to prove you actually did it, and the evidence it pretty easy to erase from your hard drive.

The WEP encryption is getting much easier to setup, even 128-bit, so more and more people are into encrypting their systems. But a lot of people are forgetting to change the default password on their wireless router, making them susceptible to pharming. WEP kinda sucks for security, WPA2 is quite a bit better, but WEP is so common these days - even the iPhone can use your WLAN with WEP. I shut off my SSID broadcast as well, just so drive-by pharmers won't try to hack it.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

if you take something that is not yours you need to be prepared for the consequences

In a situation like that, I agree with you.

But I guess what I'm saying is that if someone broadcasts an open connection on the public airwaves, I'm not taking it from them, they're giving it to me.

In the UK it is classed as theft and not legal. It is also against the terms and conditions of use from most ISP's here to allow uncontrolled access to your WiFi.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It's still kind of up in the air here over whether or not it's illegal. A few have been arrested for using someone else's wireless without authorization.

I don't believe the case in St. Pete has been settled yet...guy stops on a residential road, pulls out his laptop and wah lah! internet...he was arrested and charged with theft...and given the Patriot Act and the DMCA, it can be viewed as a more serious crime.

If you are just checking email, its not like you would be sending tremendous amounts of data and maxing out their limit.

Anyway around here we pretty much only have unlimited service. At the same token though, I love above a convenience store and once logged 13 users on my network at one time. So it was obviously time to secure it

I have the reverse situation. Out of the 4-8 networks I can see on any given day at best only 2 are secured; mine and a corporate site.

When I set the network up the first time, I hosed the security without realizing it. Not only could no one else use it, neither could I, but I didn't realize it at the time.

At the end of the first year when the neigbor moved, I realized I had been on their network the whole time!

Boy did I feel like a dumbass!!!

Blue skies,

Jim

I have the reverse situation. Out of the 4-8 networks I can see on any given day at best only 2 are secured; mine and a corporate site.

When I set the network up the first time, I hosed the security without realizing it. Not only could no one else use it, neither could I, but I didn't realize it at the time.

At the end of the first year when the neigbor moved, I realized I had been on their network the whole time!

Boy did I feel like a dumbass!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!:D:D:D

My first AP was a Cisco. The good thing about Cisco AP's is there are lots of variables that can be tweaked; The bad thing about Cisco AP's is there are lots of parameters to be tweaked.:S

The first time I set it up and connected my laptop, I was really happy...until I ran some diagnostics and found my AP was telling me it had no connections. Then I realized I was connected to a neighbor's AP.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the risk over an unsecured wirless network is huge - especially given that you're doing your taxes...ALL of your most valued personal information is floating around the air waves available for the taking...

now the odds of someone actually capturing that data....whole 'nother story.;)

^this...

odds of it happening? very low.

possible damage to your life if it does? doing taxes? are you nuts? is the extra time really worth the possible risk? how much time will you waste cleaning up if/when it does happen.

Note to everyone; I can't begin to count the number of times I've been on a public network and been able to browse other computers. Secure your laptops, folks...

its actually quite the game for bored geeks...