Thanatos340

Should people that no longer Jump still post here?

how much weight to give their opinions

Hey, leave me out of this!

You're a prime example!

On a serious note, you may not jump as often as you would like to, but one would be hard pressed to find anyone with as much 'general knowledge' of the sport and the people in it.

When something is going on 'behind the scenes' it's a pretty good bet you have the information, or know someone that does...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

As long as the people who aren't skydivers aren't giving people skydiving advice, who cares.

If people who don't jump anymore or have never jumped at all have online "friends" here and want to chat with them and make silly comments and jokes, who cares.

I personally don't post on say a scuba diving web site, because A) I don't scuba dive B) If I wanted to learn about scuba diving I'd talk to friends in person about it C) I am not looking to make online "friends."

But to each their own. Some people are stuck in front of computers all day and stumbled upon this web site once and kept coming back. No biggie.

This is Bonfire (not GSD, swooping, etc) where even former skydivers whom some of us know, jumped with and are still part of the skydiving family. I like to hear from everyone whether they are currently skydiving or not. In fact, if they are made to feel welcome as part of the family, they may someday decide to return to the sky. I was out for nine years and one of the reasons for getting back into it in 1999 was my fellow skydivers - never ONCE was I made to feel as an outcast, spent time with me, and in knowing the circumstances for my not going to the DZ every weekend; were encouraging to return without being pressed and when I was ready; welcomed me with open arms.

I would hope that we don't become so cliquish as to now segregate skydivers with 10, 250 or 10,000 skydives who may take a break (due to injury, new family obligations, retirement from skydiving after 30 years, getting laid-off from a job and not having the money to skydive, etc.) from remaining friends and emissaries of our sport. And, who decides who has the proper threshold for access or contribution? Is it having jumped, only made 50 jumps this year, only those with 250 jumps per year may post?

Why would someone who doesn't have a red star post to a skydiving forum they don't financially support? What if you have thirty jumps, but have quit skydiving and a red star, but someone with 5,000 jumps does not have a red star... should the one without the star and 5,000 jumps post to the skydiving forum? Is there any more value to one's opinion, input or contribution because they have a red star and is there any less because one does not?

I also hope those who've quit skydiving would be welcomed at any real-world DZ and feel as though they can hang out without feeling any pressures to jump. Even those tandem students that have communicated that its something they've always wanted to do just once - are sent home with a pat on the butt, welcome to the family and an invitation to come out anytime with family or friends as something free to do.

Finally, there are those who've stopped jumping, but are fantastic contributors to the atmosphere and community... free professional advice, (legal, veterinary. medical, IT, personal, career, etc.) keeping folks informed of others...

Appalling question.

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Though I still skydive.

Dude, I've jumped with you-do you really call that skydiving:P;):)Like I've already said, I jump about as little as anyone can:( But I keep up with friends here, make new ones, and try to keep myself on the "worthy to be invited to dinner at Kitty's" list:)

You are still an active member of the community outside of these forums. And you're always on the guest list at my house.. as long as youre not also on the "kitty is an elitist bitch" list. ;)

(Please understand that I playing devils advocate here and trying to understand why some feel that we (Infrequent/Former jumpers) should not be part of this community.

Since you're talking about me, J, I will be happy to answer your question. I think this is the third time I've said it.

It has nothing to do with being "elitist". It has to do with the noise level here, and how its become increasingly difficult to use this site to make friends with people you might actually meet at a drop zone and skydive with.
The question used to be when you talked to someone new, "where do you jump?. Now its just "DO you jump?". And thats fine. I never said this site should only be current jumpers. But lately theres been a lot more noise from the whuffo crowd. I've noticed a lot of old school people quit posting because of it.

If I quit drinking wine, I would certainly stop posting on the wine enthusiasts forums and stop trying to be a part of that community. The friends I'd already made, I'd keep in touch with by phone, email, myspace, facebook, etc.

Thats my opinion, plain and simple. If you need a whole line of people to disagree with me to make yourself feel better... then have a good time with that.
So, if I Base jump more than I skydive, I shouldn't post here?? ......................... :)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

["kitty is an elitist bitch" list.

Nah-I'm more of a "Kitty is my friend who has well thought out, informed, intelligently stated opinions" kinda guy. Even if I don't 100% agree all of the time, I can't think of anything you've said that I've ever 100% disagreed with either-adn you got me to eat asparagus, so my mom likes you:)
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I like people that are honest about their jump #'s / time in sport in the profile section...it gives people an idea of their background and how much weight to give their opinions...

I completely agree and to add to that point, I've noticed several posters with "22 years" in sport and "900 jumps". I don't think anyone would question whether or not they're welcome here even though it would seem there has been some non-jumping periods of time in that scenario.

I personally don't care if someone who has 10,000 jumps, one jump or has just thought about jumping one day posts here. The "noise" seems to be the issue and it comes just as loudly from the former as the latter.

As for the original question: Define "no longer".

Using myself as an example, I haven't jumped in two years and the two years prior to that was sporadic (which ultimately I did not feel was safe to do even though it "felt like riding a bike" to me). I'm 27 years old. I have a lot of years ahead of me to ever say I will "no longer" do something.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I voted yes. Skydiving is not the be all/end all. There is life besides skydiving. One of the things that attracted me to the sport were the people. They are from a variety of walks of life and all have something of value. If I had come across this forum with the ELITIST BULLSHIT that I have seen recently, I wouldn't have stuck around this forum, directed people here, jumped at a lot of dropzones, and brought people into the sport (even if only for 1 tandem jump). Hell...why would I try to get people to put money into a sport that has the attitudes that have been recently expressed?

Life does happen...injuries...death...birth of children, etc. Sometimes jumping takes a back seat for a small length of time...others jumping permanently takes a back seat. These people are no less valuable as people just because they do not jump (for whatever reason/time) currently.

The first time I stopped skydiving was due to surgery and recovery (non-skydiving related issue) and then when I thought I was ready to come back...did a few jumps and my dad was diagnosed with cancer. My dad was more important during the last months of his life than skydiving was. Although I had stopped jumping while dad was dying, the warm and lovingly welcoming attitude of the people that I jumped with helped me to come back into the skies. I'd go sit at the DZ on a beautiful day just to watch and be near "alive" people. People that could keep my mind off the fact my dad was dying by flying a canopy...talking skydiving...or just giving me a desperately needed hug. And when I came back into the sport, those people literally held my hands while in the plane 'cause they knew what I was going through emotionally when I did my first jump back.

Recently, I stopped due to school/work and the soon-to-be moving out of the country. As much as I'd love to do a jump now and again, without being current, it's not a risk that I will not take nor will I put my family through that should I go in while being selfish/uncurrent.

I miss the skies so very much. I miss the people that I've jumped with - even those that are no longer here. And, my goal is once I'm done with vet school to come back to the sport (after spending tunnel time and canopy coaching time to get back to being "current").

I have made multiple friends on this forum and have jumped with quite a few of them. There are newbies that I hope will still be active once I come back to the sport that I'd like to jump with.

As I've stated, I do not post in the topical forums anymore. I still read them though as I'm at least able to keep current on information.

If there are people who do not like me posting (and note that I only post in the community forums right now) 'cause I'm currently not jumping, they can KISS MY LILY WHITE ASS and can ignore my posts.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

If I quit drinking wine...

Lord may that never happen to me.

:P

The problem with your wine analogy is the once-wine-enthusiast who no longer drinks wine probably doesn't want to live vicariously through the others that still do enjoy a glass (or four :$). Many jumpers who are taking a break or can no longer skydive still DO want to hear the stories and participate in the community.

I like people that are honest about their jump #'s / time in sport in the profile section...it gives people an idea of their background and how much weight to give their opinions...

I do not include all that in my profile for fear of being judged at not being a "real skydiver" or "not current enough" to value my opinion. I have 1 jump in the past 6 years because it just isn't in the cards right now. I miss it terribly and can't wait for the tides to turn when hubby and I can jump regularily again.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I was going for my B Cop when I went back to school and had to drop out of the sport temporarily. I intend to get back in. Anyway I can respect the view that ex-jumpers (like myself) may not have a valid reason for being here and that I guess is up to the moderators as to whether or not site access should be restricted to those who have current CSPA/USPA membership. The site is good for newbies or wannabes to learn something about the sport so you are hurting them by doing that but troll control might be more effective with limits.

CSpenceFly did make a valid observation about ex jumpers giving advice in the skydive forums but again that is something that can be controlled simply by having other members tear the ass off of anyone giving advice they are not qualified to give (You can be the enforcer CSpenceFly).

I like this sight but in fairness I mostly stick to SC and bonfire with little interaction in the skydive forums unless someone starts talking about making AAD's mandatory in which case I go thermonuclear.

That's my 2 cents, but I abstained from voting because in fairness the actual current jumpers should be the ones deciding that.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I do not include all that in my profile for fear of being judged at not being a "real skydiver" or "not current enough" to value my opinion.

Fear not. Judgment happens; live your life anyways.

The only scenario someone should think you "not current enough" to consider your opinion would be in certain technical advice threads, and in those scenarios it WOULD be helpful to know how current you are if you're contributing in any way.

I haven't jumped since October, my gear is out of date, my Sigma rating has expired and my Strong rating is uncurrent; am I a former skydiver? It sure feels like it to me. If I do 100 jumps this year does that qualify me for the year? How about 50? 25? It would sure feel like I quit if I did that few, yet there are many on here that never do 100 in a year.
If I don't jump at all this year at what point should HH cancel my password? I mean, after all I still have more jumps than posts. Does it count if I still have a rig in my closet?
When you are at the DZ do you politely (or impolitely) turn away from those who don't jump? What if they have big tits? (rhetorical)
Should the mods immediately recycle any posts made by Beezyshaw's wife or Skinneyshreck's mother?

It looks to me like it's being assumed that J thinks people who no longer jump shouldn't post here. I don't see where he's said any such thing, and I seriously doubt that's what he thinks.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I do not include all that in my profile for fear of being judged at not being a "real skydiver" or "not current enough" to value my opinion.

Fear not. Judgment happens; live your life anyways.

The only scenario someone should think you "not current enough" to consider your opinion would be in certain technical advice threads, and in those scenarios it WOULD be helpful to know how current you are if you're contributing in any way.

And I don't post in there anyhow so I'm off to be brave and update my profile.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

MY 2 CENTS....

well I am completly new to this sport. I haven't even had the chance to do AFF yet, not wanting to start and stop. I've done tandem and fell in love with it so much that I know I definatly want to get my licence! I currently face heavy $$ issues and bad weather around here to boot. So all I got for now is my dream and goals.
(ok I also got dvds and books, but thats besides my point :P)

I love posting with you guys, cant wait to meet a lot of you, and I love hearing all about your experiences. So where does that leave me??

I know I don't have the jump #'s or experience yet but I also know what I do have, in my heart I have the passion, the desire, and I'm dying inside to learn this, and be able to advance in this amazing sport of skydiving.

Skydivers are truly a unique class and what is shared by them is not for everyone....
(shoot most my "other" friends think I am completly bonkers because I am so into wanting to do this.)
.....But for those that share in this and get it-they fit and I think they just belong.....

(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

You should be current to get on a jump plane. You don't have to be current, or even a jumper, to stand around the bonfire. Cool people are always welcome. Idiots can take a hike.:P

How'd you know that I've been meaning to take up hiking?! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.