rwieder

This is the ugliest canopy i've ever seen

I swear, that landing looked painful. I wonder what the openings are like? B|

The opening was fast but not a slammer.

Mine opens fast because it's a reserve Dactyl. That's correct, the Daftyl is TSO'd as a reserve. Mine doesn't have the nose slider the RW Dactyls have.

dactl...
Every year we put on an annual "Water Boogie".. so beach landings in the desert and water landings in the lake... intentional.

This event is usually where all the "weird gear" come out to play.

If you're interested in coming out it's the weekend after Labor Day every year at Elephant Butte lake in New Mexico.

All sorts of rounds, MT1X (modifieds), and the dactl... lots of fun if you're up for a different experience

visit http://www.skydivenm.net if you're interested

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

One of the canopies made on the evolution from rounds to squares. Wish I had some extra cash around to pick it up...I've wanted to jump one for ages. I did get a jump on a similar wing, called a Delta 2. Hands down scariest jump of my life. Only reason I didn't chop was because my reserve was a belly wart 22 ft flat that I'm pretty sure hadn't been repacked for a year or two. I wasn't the brightest jelly bean in the bag when I was young, but I was tough.

My father had a Delta 2. Serial number 2. We sold it to a guy out west that had an Air museum. I wished I would have kept it so I could donate it to the museum being build next to the new USPA building.

From my father's account as a test jumper. He said the delta 2 was messed up enough that they mal'd like 70% of the time. lots of his buddies got hurt or killed under them. He is a rigger, he kept modifying his when ever they could find out what would make it mal. So that one he had wasn't an original because of all the mods. His buddy chopped serial number 1 over the gulf of mexico during a jump at Galveston, TX.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

The Germans used the "Kohnke" in the 60's and 70's - I think it was static line only.

Talking about ugly....
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

The Germans used the "Kohnke" in the 60's and 70's - I think it was static line only.

Talking about ugly....

The Russian 4 way CRW team uses some sort of reserve that looks like delta, teradactyle, or Kihnke.

Hell if I would.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

The Russian 4 way CRW team uses some sort of reserve that looks like delta, teradactyle, or Kihnke.

Hell if I would.

There is some good logic to using a non-wing/drag only type of reserve for CRW, especially if it uses a free bag. If you can't get rid of entangled canopies, you don't have to worry about inducing a down plane with a round reserve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hell if I would.

There is some good logic to using a non-wing/drag only type of reserve for CRW, especially if it uses a free bag. If you can't get rid of entangled canopies, you don't have to worry about inducing a down plane with a round reserve.

Makes sense, but from what I know fo those type wings, they are prone to mal. I could be very wrong. I probally am. I don't think that they would use them if they didn't work. I wonder what sort of improvements were made since they first came out.

Mine opens fast because it's a reserve Dactyl. That's correct, the Daftyl is TSO'd as a reserve.

There were a few jumpers back in the seventies who jumped "double Dactyl" rigs, with main & reserve Dactyls. Bobby Gray at Deland was one. His rig was TINY. Nowadays it's not too uncommon to see a rig that looks like a kid's knapsack, with a 74 ft main and a 99 ft reserve, but back then a 5 cell Strato Star weighed about 13 lbs and even with a small round reserve a "light" rig was 26 or more lbs, so the double Dactyl was radically smaller, if you had the nerve or confidence to jump it.

There was also a Double Keel Dactyl that came out at the end of the seventies. It had two keels that divided the canopy into thirds. The 1980 National 8 Way champion team Visions, from Perris jumped all Double Keel Dactyls that year (they went square with Pioneer canopies the following year).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Makes sense, but from what I know fo those type wings, they are prone to mal. I could be very wrong. I probally am. I don't think that they would use them if they didn't work. I wonder what sort of improvements were made since they first came out.

Dactyl looks like the original Rogallo wing. PZ-81 have the same plane shape, but it actually fricative canopy so it`s profile is triangle with almost flat top.
CRW teams use it because it is harder to get this wing entangled, but that is matter to discuss.
PZ-81 is somewhere in the mid between Rogallo wing and ParaCommander or UT-15.

Dactyl looks like the original Rogallo wing. PZ-81 have the same plane shape, but it actually fricative canopy so it`s profile is triangle with almost flat top.
CRW teams use it because it is harder to get this wing entangled, but that is matter to discuss.
PZ-81 is somewhere in the mid between Rogallo wing and ParaCommander or UT-15.

That platform won't be used for CRW because the performance is not as good as a square.

Also the PZ-81 is a reserve and you really shouldn't do CRW even if you could with a reserve.

Don't forget that a trianlge is not flying together with a sqaure.

Are you sure about that? ;)

Nice. There is no way the top canopy could dock on the bottom or do pin on base pin. The stack would have to be built only that way.

Now since I have typed this I bet there is a photo where the triangle platform is pin or number 3 or 4.

The stack would have to be built only that way.

That stack was built in 1978/79 and we used a dactyl on top because be couldn't figure out how to catch a square. Its a dactyl, Stratostar, Stratostar, StratoCloud. :P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The stack would have to be built only that way.

Awesome. I bet those were the days.