millertimeunc

Yellow Tail Shiraz

You guys are gonna kill me... ...other people drink really good wine, right? Not the $6 a bottle stuff? Not that Yellow Tail Shiraz is bad... ...most of Yellow Tail's wines are okay. But they are just so... ...normal & kinda boring. How about some more interesting wines? I'll go with Jaye, some of Columbia's wines are good (David Lake signature is usually excellent), and so are some of Chateau Ste. Michelle's single vineyard wines (Indian Wells Merlot, Cold Creek Cab, anything from Canoe Ridge).
Favorite up to this point, though, was the 1998 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva - Sangiovese blends are right at the top for me. A 2001 Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Merlot was excellent as well. Most of the really good stuff is still in the cellar, for drinking in 2010+ :)
As far as sparkling goes, NV Mountain Dome Brut (from outside Spokane!) is about as good as I've had - and I've had a few. Better than Moet White Star... ...but I doubt it'll beat a vintage Bollinger Grand Anée.

But if anybody has a 1980 Mouton Rothschild that's been well cellared, I'll take it off your hands for free:)
Now be honest, who else really knows that Syrah & Shiraz are the same grape?

"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

You guys are gonna kill me... ...other people drink really good wine, right? Not the $6 a bottle stuff? Not that Yellow Tail Shiraz is bad... ...most of Yellow Tail's wines are okay. But they are just so... ...normal & kinda boring. How about some more interesting wines? I'll go with Jaye, some of Columbia's wines are good (David Lake signature is usually excellent), and so are some of Chateau Ste. Michelle's single vineyard wines (Indian Wells Merlot, Cold Creek Cab, anything from Canoe Ridge).
Favorite up to this point, though, was the 1998 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva - Sangiovese blends are right at the top for me. A 2001 Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Merlot was excellent as well. Most of the really good stuff is still in the cellar, for drinking in 2010+ :)
As far as sparkling goes, NV Mountain Dome Brut (from outside Spokane!) is about as good as I've had - and I've had a few. Better than Moet White Star... ...but I doubt it'll beat a vintage Bollinger Grand Anée.

But if anybody has a 1980 Mouton Rothschild that's been well cellared, I'll take it off your hands for free:)
Now be honest, who else really knows that Syrah & Shiraz are the same grape?

WHAT??? You don't like the idea of freezing left over wine for use in sauces?? Martha approves. You're just silly if you don't agree. :P

As far as wine goes, I know what I like, I know what I don't like. I don't really care if they call the same grape two different names after they've fermented for a while. And if I like cheap wine, so be it. Just means I can buy MORE than you can for the same amount of money.

And my personal fave lately is "Painted Turtle". Not to be confused with the bubble bath by the same name. :ph34r::ph34r:
'Shell

I've had $200 a bottle wines before. I've had some $50 wines as well. All in all for every day dinner enjoyment I prefer a $10-ish bottle wine. For a nice meal or a semi-special occasion I'll pop for $20, but it has to be some sort of big deal for me to spend more then $20. That doesn't make me uneducated or unschooled in the way of wine. Its just what I like.

Same with cigars. I've had some $50+ cigars, but I prefer a $7-10 cigar. Its what I prefer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've had $200 a bottle wines before. I've had some $50 wines as well. All in all for every day dinner enjoyment I prefer a $10-ish bottle wine. For a nice meal or a semi-special occasion I'll pop for $20, but it has to be some sort of big deal for me to spend more then $20. That doesn't make me uneducated or unschooled in the way of wine. Its just what I like.

Same with cigars. I've had some $50+ cigars, but I prefer a $7-10 cigar. Its what I prefer.

There was an article in the paper here recently about a wine tasting.

They had everything from $8 to $10 wines up to $200.

They did tests revealing to everyone which wine was actually at which price.

THEN they switched the prices on them.

Most people, when told what the price was, picked the wine that was labelled pricier as being the better wine. Even when it was the $8 bottle labelled as the $200 bottle.

Like you, I like what I like. Even if it's cheap.
'Shell

Coppolla Claret 2004.

Hehe, I just picked up a case of the stuff for $5. a bottle. A local restaurant is going to stop selling it, and the mngr. offered me the rest of their stock of that, plus some Clo Du Bois, and some Wente.

3.5 cases, all for $5 a bottle! Can you say YEAH BABY!
:)
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

There was an article in the paper here recently about a wine tasting.

They had everything from $8 to $10 wines up to $200.

They did tests revealing to everyone which wine was actually at which price.

THEN they switched the prices on them.

Most people, when told what the price was, picked the wine that was labelled pricier as being the better wine. Even when it was the $8 bottle labelled as the $200 bottle.

Like you, I like what I like. Even if it's cheap.

What you say is true, but it also goes both ways. I doubt you or AggieDave actually prefer the taste of cheap wines so much as the price tag...if I offered you some quality wine and some plonk, with no indication of price, you'd probably pick the higher quality wine at least most of the time.

That said, I've dumped $200+ bottles down the sink before, as well as
For QPR, I can usually find something to be content with in the $9-$22 range and, more often than not, happy in the in $25-$50 range. Magnificent Wine Company's House and Red Table wines are pretty good for under $10, same for Ste Michelle chard. Beyond that, the best QPR I've found recently is Reininger's second label Helix, and specifically their red blend Pomatia. Lots of bottle variation, but the good ones are VERY good for under $20, and the bad ones are still totally drinkable.

And yes, yellowtail is crap. :o:D

As for guy with the Ste. Michelle fixation...yes, the single vineyards are decent, and for that matter so are the standard blends. The Ethos cab can be found around here for ~$28 and is well worth the price...still, branch out man! There are tons of good Washington wines, many of them much better than Ste Michelle. And if you're looking for Mouton, I suggest the 88 over the 80. 33% lower risk of provenance-fuckage, double 100 on release, the vintage pulls the price down, and it's drinking wonderfully now. Easily the best wine I've had to date.

I wish Shannon could throw down in this thread. With her job, she got to taste all sorts of good stuff.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

We did something similar in my mass media research class in college (by far one of the most useful classes in the "real world").

We made jello, but when we made cherry-flavored jello the color green nine out of 10 taste-testers said it tasted like lime. :ph34r:

My favorite wine is Mondavi Pinot Noir. B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Coppolla Claret 2004.

Hehe, I just picked up a case of the stuff for $5. a bottle. A local restaurant is going to stop selling it, and the mngr. offered me the rest of their stock of that, plus some Clo Du Bois, and some Wente.

3.5 cases, all for $5 a bottle! Can you say YEAH BABY!
:)

That is so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

As for guy with the Ste. Michelle fixation...yes, the single vineyards are decent, and for that matter so are the standard blends.

I don't have a huge Washingon fixation, I just get a bunch of them since I'm in the Ste. Michelle VRC and they tend to be what I like in taste and price. Been into French stuff lately though, red & white Bordeaux and Cote du Rhone, with a Spanish bottle here and there. Tried a Tempranillo Sunday night that tasted like raspberry pie filling:)
I did hear once that Pinot is supposed to be like sex in a bottle? I've never had one THAT good :ph34r: Anybody ever try one that good?
"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

I did hear once that Pinot is supposed to be like sex in a bottle? I've never had one THAT good :ph34r: Anybody ever try one that good?

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, done well, it's amazingly good. Burgundy/pinot noir is a VERY tempermental grape and wine. It's easy for a winery to vary between very good and below average between seasons or vineyards, and consistency drives price almost as much as quality. There are several Oregon vintners who consistently reach at least "good" and sometimes "excellent", but you aren't likely to find one under $40 and the better ones run $60+. I've hosted a couple traditional and oddball horizontals and verticals, and Panther Creek was incredibly helpful (and generally make good wines). On the French side, if you can't afford top shelf bordeaux, you're really screwed on burgs. I've yet to try any of the DRC reds, and am kind of afraid to given my penchant for good pinot. :S:D I have had a couple of their montrachets, and wish I could afford it over just about any other chard. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Some of the best Pinot's I have been drinking are from Santa Rita Hills near Santa Barbara. Has anyone here tried any Paso Robles wines from Central California? The quality from that area has begun to rival those wines of Napa and Sonoma without the price tag and the pretentiousness. My father is a wine maker from that area too so I am a little biased. I help with the harvest, bottling and PR events. He is also making Pinot from Santa Rita Hills and San Louis Obispo Area. I think it is a sgood as sex with the right compnay and food. If anyone is ever in Paso stop by RN Estate. There is a site too at RNEstate.com.

Like Dave said above, good wine is good wine and crap wine is crap. The price tag is not always a good indicator. I tend to lean towards smaller production wines and not mass made wine. Similair to my beer tastes, I'd rather drink a micro brew than something mass produced in a factory. It's just more spiritual to drink something made by people on a smaller scale that put their passion and love into every bottle.

Anyway that's my $0.02....B|

New life goal: Find a Pinot that's as good as sex!

What do you mean? Served in a vagina?

Anyway, if I ever say that my bottle of wine is better than my sex life then I've probably lived a full life and please kill me.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher