gus

Bag spinning as it comes off my back

I'm having a whole series of horrible openings at the moment where I seem to be getting twists before the canopy (Crossfire2) has inflated, like it's twisting on its way to line stretch. I haven't changed anything in my packing or deployment and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. I chopped it a few days ago because of this problem.

I have a Wings EXT with open corners, an "anti-twist" dbag (hahaha!), extended bridle and a Crossfire2 99, all with about 450 jumps. The pilot chute seems fine (vectran kill line). I leave a good 2 ft of line unstowed, my body position feels fine at deployment.

Any ideas? Anything I can look for to diagnose and fix this?

Thanks,

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Since you obviously have enough experience to know what you are doing I would suggest someone video a few openings. I had a friend do this for me for fun a few times and I found that my body position was sometimes a little sloppier than I thought as I was deploying and that my legs were way too wide during snivel causing it to open in a turn/dive.

Other than that, I prefer to leave about 18in of unstowed line in the bottom of the container. Anything less and it seemed like the d-bag would leave asymmetrically and I could feel it spin up before all the line stows released.

edit: spelling
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Hey gus b, check your pilot chute isn't completely shot 350 jumps is going to make an F-111 p.c pretty tired causing less drag and a less dynamic line stretch.

Bungees all the same type and in good condition holding the lines at about 12lb per stow

18-22 inches of spare line from the last stow with the line following on from the riser along the edge of the pack tray to the bottom corner then across to the centre as opposed to following the corner of the reserve tray which can cause a snag and subsequent spin point on deployment...

hope you get it sorted, can't be a body position problem mate, your a legend ;-)

fordy

I should add, it's a zp pilot chute. The porosity seems fine (via the suck test) but I haven't checked for symmetry so I'll do that. I have a spare so when I get home I'll swap them over and see if that makes a difference. I'll also try to get some video of my body position.

hope you get it sorted, can't be a body position problem mate, your a legend ;-)

I always liked you Fordy.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Well I had a friend video one of my deployments and sure enough, within a couple of feet of leaving my back (before the first stow has released), the bag had spun by 90 degrees on its way to another set of twists. It's very clear from the video what's going on, just not why - my body position is good.

I have a spare dbag/bridle/pc so I will swap them in and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then I'm stumped.

I've been on holiday so I've done 70 odd jumps in the last few weeks and I guess I've had twists at least 50% of the time and one chop.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I'm having a whole series of horrible openings at the moment where I seem to be getting twists before the canopy (Crossfire2) has inflated, like it's twisting on its way to line stretch. I haven't changed anything in my packing or deployment and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. I chopped it a few days ago because of this problem.

I have a Wings EXT with open corners, an "anti-twist" dbag (hahaha!), extended bridle and a Crossfire2 99, all with about 450 jumps. The pilot chute seems fine (vectran kill line). I leave a good 2 ft of line unstowed, my body position feels fine at deployment.

Any ideas? Anything I can look for to diagnose and fix this?

Thanks,

Gus

(shoulder) tuck tabs are thought to be the root cause sometimes. have you tried taking them out of the equation on hop n pops?.

rm