Orlando

Any news about PD katanas

Have been waiting for PD to put out bigger size Katanas like 135 and 150. Read in their newsletter last year that they did some limited demo of those sizes at the WFFC. Anyone have heard anything more recent?
Saludos,
Orlando
Hispa #48 || www.amador.org || Xtreme Divers

Try a Nitro(n) or a Crossfire 2 instead, those canopies actually exist and both will out-swoop a Stiletto.

I know several dudes that can swoop Stilettos very well.
In case you haven't figured it out, it's all about the pilot.

uh, yeah... :S but you can hold a Nitro, Blade or Xfire2 in a dive longer sooooo... the same pilot will get a better swoop out of one of those modern canopies versus a Stiletto since the recovery arc is longer. It's not rocket science.

Any canopy can be swooped, but given the same pilot, some canopies are flat out better than others.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Any canopy can be swooped, but given the same pilot, some canopies are flat out better than others.

Only if properly trained, but then again a fast canopy makes anyone fast.

BTW, a Sabre2 has a longer recovery arc than a Stiletto, does that make it any better?

Qualify your statements.

Did this thread get jacked or what? I thought it was about Katanas not Stilletos.
Any way here is what Rebeca Perin of PD said in an email to me today:
" As far as the Katana release, we are still working on it! It is still undergoing testing as we dial in the final details, we are hoping to release it soon, however, we always give R&D a priority and making sure that the canopy's performance will meet our customer's needs."

I am waiting on the 150 myself it is frustrating.

Alan

" As far as the Katana release, we are still working on it! It is still undergoing testing as we dial in the final details, we are hoping to release it soon, however, we always give R&D a priority and making sure that the canopy's performance will meet our customer's needs."

Almost identical email I got, to the letter, last year when I emailed after Rantoul. Great......:|

Almost identical email I got, to the letter, last year when I emailed after Rantoul. Great...

That's what I was told the year before that.

I've since 100% given up on the Katana and will be purchasing another canopy sometime this year. That makes my 2nd canopy purchase that I will have made since the promised "soon" Katana release.

Oh well, I'm not miffed at the people or the company and I understand their desire for a perfect product, but they could be honest with this sort of thing. Or atleast honest with themselves about the status of the product.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Soon is not a promisse. Its an obvious vague term.

Then I did not articulate the exactness of the events surrounding the statement of soon. Out of context it would seem that way, but I promise you that it wasn't.

this is speculation, so take it as such.:P

P.D. will never release a Katana above the size that is out now, for the same reason they will not release the velo any larger.:P

It is an ultra high performance canopy, and If you need one "in there opinion" larger than 120, you don't need that high of a performance parachute.

but like I said, this is speculation. lets see if they prove me wrong.;)

the fact that they say, "it is still in R&D" seems like BS to me, but thats just me.
but then again, it may be opening problems, and if they tweak it to open properly, it no longer fly's like they think it should.

It is an ultra high performance canopy, and If you need one "in there opinion" larger than 120, you don't need that high of a performance parachute.

*AggieDave looks down at his gut and grunts* I guess I'll go ahead and just buy a Velo 96 and load it 2.91:1:D Or stick with my XF2 loading that out in larger sizes. Or just go Xbraced, which is looking like a serious option.

*AggieDave looks down at his gut and grunts* I guess I'll go ahead and just buy a Velo 96 and load it 2.91:1:D Or stick with my XF2 loading that out in larger sizes. Or just go Xbraced, which is looking like a serious option.

thats my point. go crossbraced.;)

I know that they were loaning them out at Rantoul '05 for testing since one of my buddies jumped a 135 for a few jumps. He was more impressed with the 120 (and so was I B|), but I do know that they are at least testing them still.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

if those two seem ok then why wouldn't they release it?

First off, OK to an average jumper may not pass PD's 'ready for the market' standards.

I think the real deal is what you said earlier. The only market for bigger Katanas are the very small handful of very large HP canopy pilots.

As much as it sucks for the big guys, it really is a good move. The Katana is really an HP wing, and think that alot of unqualified pilots would have ordered them if they could have gotten the sizes they wanted.

As for Aggiedave, I've heard enough of his whining. Just buck up and order a Velo. The big ones are awesome, and if he's managed to survive this long, I'm sure he'll be fine. In fact, I've seen a few 120s in the classifieds recently.....

Funny you should say that. I have already come to that conclusion, I already contacted Icarus for a VX 119 demo (if they can find one) and I'm getting in touch with PD for a Velo 120 demo.

>I already contacted Icarus for a VX 119 demo . . . .

A VX119 isn't too small for you but a Katana 120 is?

Assuming his profile is accurate the guy weighs 285 pounds out the door.

While a bit high for optimal performance under a cross-braced canopy, 2.4 pounds/square foot is too much for a conventional bi-cell design.

Assuming his profile is accurate the guy weighs 285 pounds out the door.

While a bit high for optimal performance under a cross-braced canopy, 2.4 pounds/square foot is too much for a conventional bi-cell design.

I've lost a bit of weight, not much, but you're right. All the 135 sized canopies I've flown didn't fly too well loaded at 2.1:1.

Bill,

Its not that a 120 is too small for me or a 135 for that matter, its finding one that will take the 2.3:1 wingloading on a 120 or 2.1:1 wingloading on a 135. That's why I was wanting to jump the 135 Katana, since "supposedly" they take a 2.1:1 wingloading well. The XF2 I demoed at that range didn't fly quite like I thought it would, I could write a long post about it or just say that I felt like the canopy was overloaded a bit.

So its once again, its not a 135 or 120 is too small, just that I've been on a quest to find a 135 that handled the wingloading I would put it at. You should know me better than that Bill.;)