JohnnyMarko

How the ?

Last year, I had friend (probably a 75-100 jumps at the time) arrive late to the DZ w/ a new canopy already on risers that he had to try!! A very experienced but busy packer made the switch and close the container to make a quick call. What a surprise on opening! 2nd cutaway of his short jumping career!!! I never found out who covered the re-pack though.

Jim R.
Jim

My first rig was a brown Talon with BCRW-1 embroidered on the mud flap....

I am sure there are some people here that will know what that means ;)

Wendy Faulkner's web site has long shown a bunch of the old BCRW photos, and even a BCRW awards list. I'm still wondering where Gary Cobb is now.

Some day I'll try backwards CRW!

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Backwards.html

My first rig was a brown Talon with BCRW-1 embroidered on the mud flap....

I am sure there are some people here that will know what that means ;)

Wendy Faulkner's web site has long shown a bunch of the old BCRW photos, and even a BCRW awards list. I'm still wondering where Gary Cobb is now.

Some day I'll try backwards CRW!

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Backwards.html

Last I hear he was in the land of OZ.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Unless you use an rsl, then you'll have to take the lines off the risers and do it all over again.....the right way.

You can't go one jump without an rsl?:S
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

I can and have done my last 250 jumps without one. That's not what I'm saying. I mean that most rigs have a specific side that the rsl riser is intended to be on. You can just switch the risers around, as I said above, but it's a better idea to rig the damn thing right, don't you agree? I'm not exactly sure where you interpreted that as "Do not go one jump without an rsl!" :S

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I can and have done my last 250 jumps without one. That's not what I'm saying. I mean that most rigs have a specific side that the rsl riser is intended to be on. You can just switch the risers around, as I said above, but it's a better idea to rig the damn thing right, don't you agree? I'm not exactly sure where you interpreted that as "Do not go one jump without an rsl!" :S

Um... rigging it right would mean not hooking it up backwards in the first place! ;)

If we're talking about unintentionally hooking it up backwards, then an RSL will usually make it more obvious that it is hooked up wrong, so it could help to prevent this.

If you are hooking it up backwards intentionally, swapping the lines is a lot of extra work if it's only for one jump. I would just go without the RSL for that jump. Disconnecting the RSL is no less safe than not having an RSL, so if you are willing to jump without an RSL, there should be no problem just swapping the risers around.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Yeah I think there's a bit of miscommunication. When I said that earlier in the thread, we were talking about accidental misrigging. Since then the topic has kinda changed to intentionally rigging it backwards. Sorry for that, if it's intentional then yeah swapping out lines would be pointless :$

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Ah.... I think I see what happened. When I talked about swapping risers (post #2), I wasn't giving instructions on how to fix it, but rather explaining how it can get hooked up backwards.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

(Here's a cautionary tale, something that happened to me November 1994, jump #226.)

My in-laws hated me.

I was never sure why, but they hated me. So spending Thanksgiving with them at their home was uncomfortable and distracting. At the first opportunity, I escaped to the front yard to hook up my new canopy.

Precision Aerodynamics let me use one of their demo parachutes to see if I liked it. It was made out of a fabric new to me, "ZP." Jumping it for the first time was a big deal.

I set up under my in-law’s oak tree, relieved to be away from their glares. Lines straight, fabric to the outside, s-fold everything into the bag, and close ‘er up. It looked good.

That weekend, I climbed into the Cessna 182 at the Anderson dropzone, rode to 4500 feet and jumped. I took a few seconds delay and pitched (my first jump with a collapsable pilot chute, too.) Three seconds later, my parachute opened, but it felt weird. I looked up and saw a fully inflated rectangular canopy, but my steering lines went to the front of the canopy! Oh damn, I attached this canopy BACKWARDS, and on my first ZP jump!

I looked again. The parachute was properly inflated. I popped my toggles and tried to steer. No problem there. Everything was fine, except I was flying backwards. I turned my head to see where I was going. That was a little uncomfortable. I grabbed my risers and twisted them halfway around. Much better. Now, I could fly facing the same direction as my parachute flew. The only trouble was that I could only turn one direction, into the twist of my risers. When I turned the other way, I untwisted my risers, flipping be around and facing me rearward again. I tried a landing flare. It was a little awkward, but I could flare about half way. That would get me slowed enough to land safely, so I decided I didn’t need to cut this away (and pay a rigger $25 for a pack job.) I’d land my first ZP backwards.

I flew around a bit, getting the hang of the new canopy. Looking down, I decided to land it way out it the open, instead of right next to the hangar and packing area. At a thousand feet, I flew my pattern, setting up for my landing in a freshly-plowed field. A dozen feet above the ground, I flared and touched down softly, but with a rolling landing (just in case.)

On the long walk back to the hangar (“Why did you land all the way out there, Dave?”) I decided to never again pack while distracted.

Yeah I think there's a bit of miscommunication. When I said that earlier in the thread, we were talking about accidental misrigging. Since then the topic has kinda changed to intentionally rigging it backwards. Sorry for that, if it's intentional then yeah swapping out lines would be pointless :$

Ahh.. no worries. I misunderstood what you were talking about, but yeah it does bring up the possibility of misrouting/rigging.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!