Conundrum

Tips for cooking a good Filet Mignon?

The Fillet should be just below room temperature, Pre season the Fillet by rubbing it with a mixture of corse black pepper, corse salt and olive oil. (add some fine chopped sun dried tomatoes if you feel adventurous) Let it stand for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Get your grill fired up, if you have one that has two or three burners, get on section Flaming HOT and the other medium to low. The grill needs to be before you put the Fillet on, if need be wait a few extra moments.

Sear the Fillet on both sides (don't toss it over and over like a salad) Sear one side and then the other, this should be a quick process.

Place seared fillet on low burner section and cook for 5 to 6 minutes each side. You can wrap the seared Fillet in foil and place on the low heat as it will help keep the moisture in, this cooks a little longer.

Have fun tonight ...... :)

My husband and I already did our Valentine's Day thing on Sunday/Monday, but I want to cook a nice dinner tonight. I was debating between live lobster or crab, or some nice filet. Since I did live lobster last year I'm going with the filet. Problem is, I'm a steak virgin. I've never realy cooked one, let alone some filet.

Soooooo, I was wondering if anyone has any tips so I don't ruin it?

:)

Doesn't REALLY matter if the "Other" part of the combo is good enough.B|

Garlic Pepper Steak

Start with Garlic - fresh pressed. About 2 cloves
Put that and about 4 TBSP butter in a sauce pan
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste

Simmer and sautee the garlic

Take steakes and squeeze fresh lemon juice on them (this seals the meat)
Sprinle with garlic salt and pat in

Wet hands and rub in fresh ground black pepper mixed with a little white pepper ( no measurememnt - it's not really that important if you don't have white peper)

Get grill REALLY HOT - and place steaks on the grill wait 1 minute and turn - (this is also to seal the meat)

Lower temp to low - and slow cook the steakes until done to taste.

Enjoy.

Duh - I forgot to mention - not that I need to - but after the searing is done - turn often and baste with the sauce until done.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you probably wear some timex or shit like that. if it was a swatch at least, that could be considered a watch i guess.

mhm, callier-chocolate-milk.. mhm, swiss cheese. and mhm, darn' farkin' fantastic swiss cuisine.

there's a logic to that. all good stuff comes from here, the crap, to everyone else please.

hey! dont fuck with swiss, we're awesome at getting back at your bank accounts.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i'm from SWITZERLAND

Well, in that case:

Swiss Filet Mignon

Take the filet mignon and cut into bite sized cubes, and add salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.

Lay cubes on a flat, solid surface. Using a framing hammer (finishing hammers are too flat and don't leave the dents) pound the meat flat. Dredge again.

Add some oil to a skillet and heat it up. Add the flattened floured fillets to the oil and cook to golden brown and remove.

After all have been cooked, removed and set aside, add some onions and garlic and celery to the pan. When the onions are translucent, add some tomato paste, tomatoes, Worcestershire, and some beef broth. When it's boiling, submerge in the liquid.

Cover and add to a preheated oven for about an hour.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

i'm from SWITZERLAND

Well, in that case:

Swiss Filet Mignon

Take the filet mignon and cut into bite sized cubes, and add salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.

Lay cubes on a flat, solid surface. Using a framing hammer (finishing hammers are too flat and don't leave the dents) pound the meat flat. Dredge again.

Add some oil to a skillet and heat it up. Add the flattened floured fillets to the oil and cook to golden brown and remove.

After all have been cooked, removed and set aside, add some onions and garlic and celery to the pan. When the onions are translucent, add some tomato paste, tomatoes, Worcestershire, and some beef broth. When it's boiling, submerge in the liquid.

Cover and add to a preheated oven for about an hour.

Fun thing but Swiss role as well as Swiss stake are american inventions and no Swiss person will have ever eaten one or heard of it.

Isn't part of the loin?

It is commonly called the tenderloin, and comes mostly from the loin section of the animal so yes it is part of that. Side note, is it possible to make t-bones, ribeye's, and filet's all from the same animal??

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

tenderloin aka psoas major

absolutely correct! Good luck with your dinner as well, only way to mess it up is to overcook. Follow J's recipie or the one you found and you will do great.

Shit the best watch I have owned is my swiss army watch. got it in 95, and it is still going strong even after being run over. All I have had to do was replace watch bands and batteries.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Isn't part of the loin?

It is commonly called the tenderloin, and comes mostly from the loin section of the animal so yes it is part of that. Side note, is it possible to make t-bones, ribeye's, and filet's all from the same animal??

I believe they all are from different sections of the steer, so yes...?

get your pan out, put oil in it, no olive but peanut or so, get it smoking hot, fry your filet very briefly on each side, just to get it brown, all sides preferably. get it out.

put it on a porcelain dish.

start your oven beforehand to about 60° CELSIUS, cover your filet with aluminium foil, put it in for 15 minutes. get it out. fall over it like a lion that hasnt eaten the last 14 days. the most tender thing you've ever eaten..

as for spices, i always do them before the frying part, there's people that say you shouldnt salt it. i believe its a myth. i prefer it rather simple, salt, pepper, maybe chilli or paprika(?)powder. not to much of the later two.

and if you can get hold on any herbal butter.. :)

165 Degrees Farenheight
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I believe they all are from different sections of the steer, so yes...?

You could cut ribeyes and either of the other two, the t-bone has filet on one side and ny strip on the other. Of course this is assuming that you process both sides of the animal the same.:D

Isn't part of the loin?

I think so. I know you can make a NY Strip and a Filet out of a T-bone - or porterhouse
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you need to ask Xenaswamp jumper, she cooked the BESTEST steak i had whilst in the USA (and i went to a few steakhouses while there):)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well,,,How did it all turn out ?B|

What recipe did you use?

From the lack of response we can speculate a few things:

1. Burnt the entire house down cooking the Fillet
2. Choked on a over cooked dry Fillet
3. Still in bed being thanked for the very succulent Fillet

:P