kenz

Valentine's Dinner Help needed

ok so i decided that i was cooking dinner tomorrow for valentintes day, and my creative juices are not flowing - i was thinking lobster? but i don't have the first clue how to make it or what to serve with it...

i am not disabled in the kitchen by any means, but i wanted to do something different and special, and i know there are some of you out there that rock at cooking - if anyone has any ideas or recipes can you please send them my way, i would GREATLY appreciate it - thanks :)
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

IMO, if you haven't cooked lobster before...it might be a tough one. Easy to cook the second time, but not so easy the first. I'm a huge lover of lobster, but they're better sent in from Maine rather than bought at Walmart/Costco/big box (IMO).
If seafood is the theme, King crab legs are super easy, and can be served cold or hot with drawn butter, and it's kinda fun to serve your partner with dripping clarified butter on the fingers, warm crab meat..and it won't make your house smell the way boiled lobster will (I prefer my lobster boiled, starting with live lobster into salted boiling water).
Small red potatoes go really well with crab, and those are also hard to mess up, as is asparagus, which also compliments king crab. You can have the crab split at the store if it isn't already split (most are).
Crab cooked with lemon wedges are great. Dipping them in cheap white wine before cooking adds another tang that I really like.
Poke holes in large potatoes, and soak em' in garlic and butter water, then rolled in almonds and bacon before baking are one of my faves.
Prawns also go well with warm crab.
Can you tell I'm a crab fan? :)

Poke holes in large potatoes, and soak em' in garlic and butter water

Then she'll have garlic breath for Valentine's Day. That's not very romantic!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Feed them to him in front of the fireplace.

He'll forget the rest...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Poke holes in large potatoes, and soak em' in garlic and butter water

Then she'll have garlic breath for Valentine's Day. That's not very romantic!

Nah...it's not heavy, it just adds a touch of bite. Just as easy to put peppermint in place of garlic. Peppermint is romantic, no?

i am up for anything at this point, i just want a romantic meal -(by the way best wishes on your surgery)

as far as chocolate covered strawberries, i think hes the only person i know that doesnt like chocolate - sucks right? - maybe i'll just feed him plain strawberries :)

as far as the garlic goes - we're garlic freaks - love it!! and those potatoes sound amazing - and the upside of that is at least we'd both have stinky breath :P but i'll see if i can work around the garlic ;)

you guys are all awesome!! thank you SO much - keep em coming and i'll let you know how it goes

"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

i was thinking lobster? but i don't have the first clue how to make it or what to serve with it...

Big POT.. 3/4 full of water... a little sea salt.....bring pot to a boil.

Toss in the lobster tails... and bring back to a boil and then cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.( usually works for a couple LEGAL sized tails.

If you boil them too long.. they will be tough

Pull them out.. slpay them out on the cutting boar with the flipper portion of the tail away from you and take a LARGE knife.... and hinge down on the tail to split it lengthwise.. VOILA.. melt a stick of REAL butter for dipping..

Now.. part two.. dress sexy.. and the dinner will be a hit no matter what you are fixing..;)

Possibly the only time when 2 wrongs DO make a right

Garlic breath is never a "right". :P

I like Wendy's idea, only she should add champagne to it too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

ingredients:
2-4 bonless skinless chicken breasts
1 package of Herbed Boursin Cheese Spread (or any similar herb cheese spread)
1 small jar of roasted red peppers (chopped up, but not too small), don't use the entire jar... use about half or so... depends on how much you like them!
fresh basil (5 leaves or so)
olive oil
salt & pepper

mix the package of cheese spread in a small bowl with basil, red peppers, salt and pepper to taste... and set aside.
take the chicken breasts and make a small slit (2 inches) lengthwise down the side of each breast with a sharp knife. then gently glide the knife inside the breast to create as large of a pocket inside as you can without puncturing the surface of the chicken.
then take a small spoon and start spooning the cheese mixture into each breast equally. i like a lot of cheese in mine! once they are stuffed, use 3-4 toothpicks to close up the slits so nothing leaks out.
coat each breast on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper.
grill about 7 minutes on each side on a hot grill. then remove toothpicks and serve with asparagus and lemon basil couscous!
for the couscous, you follow the usual cooking instructions for the kind you buy, but add some lemon juice and basil at the end when its ready to fluff!

this is my favorite meal and it takes only minutes to prepare and cook :)

good luck! and get some for me on my b-day!!

I don't like chocolate either but Readi-Whip is great with Strawberries:P

Because that'd be "dessert", you can get creative about how you serve it up;):$:)

A good dip for strawberries is a package of cream cheese, 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of white sugar. YUM.

Oh, and DSE--you can plan MY menu ANYTIME (as long as someone who can actually cook is in charge of making it!).
TPM Sister #102

hahah i made stuffed shells - thats what he said he was in the mood for... however i'm making your chicken tomorrow night - he read the recipe and thought it sounded yummy - as did i :) and i can't wait... i'll have to let you know how it went! thanks again to everyone - i WILL be trying every recipe on here at least once