Gene03

NASCAR "stockers"?

nothing "Stock" about those cars...

Correct, the only relationship the cars have to the major manufacturers at this point is the engine and even that isn't stock.

I already know that.
I'm trying to find data on rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive.

I've done the Google thing and well the results seem to be contradictory at this point.

Sorta like SC. :S
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Oh fuck, you people can be exasperating at times.
How are NASCAR vehicles propelled?
By the front wheels or by the rear wheels?

Byte me Jeff.:D

Ya, I've got nothing better to do.B|

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Howdy Renee, any supporting data to back that up?

I've never seen a front wheel drive car spin the back tires.

Duh

What he said...I don't have anything off hand from the internet I can post with out searching. But it is far easier to push then pull. So rear wheel drive is going to give you more bang for your buck in horsepower and it is what most race cars use. Not all, but most. When you accelerate the weight of the vehicle also shifts to the ass end, thus putting more pressure on the wheels moving the car. Nascar and the other racing venues do all kinds of tweaking with air pressure, suspension and body design to enhance and keep it ass low and also keep the front end from lifting.

I grew up playing in the garage while my dad was working on cars....then went on to work on the pit crew for a small local track race car he owned. Nothing fancy, but learned lots about cars and stuff.

There is a lot of reasoning to all of this, I have homework I need to be doing right now, I am sure someone else can get into more detail for you, I have to be good girl and get back to work.

Edited:
Cause I am a moron and couldnt let it go, here is a Wiki...now I must get back to school work.

Here is a Wiki on Stock cars. If you go towards the bottom of the article it even mentions that some of the cars that production models are front wheel, the "stock car" racing model is in fact rear wheel.

Front vs Rear is really a debate based on usage. Front is good for things that rear isn't and vice versa.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Howdy Renee, any supporting data to back that up?

I've never seen a front wheel drive car spin the back tires.

Duh

What he said...I don't have anything off hand from the internet I can post with out searching. But it is far easier to push then pull. So rear wheel drive is going to give you more bang for your buck in horsepower and it is what most race cars use. Not all, but most. When you accelerate the weight of the vehicle also shifts to the ass end, thus putting more pressure on the wheels moving the car. Nascar and the other racing venues do all kinds of tweaking with air pressure, suspension and body design to enhance and keep it ass low and also keep the front end from lifting.

I grew up playing in the garage while my dad was working on cars....then went on to work on the pit crew for a small local track race car he owned. Nothing fancy, but learned lots about cars and stuff.

There is a lot of reasoning to all of this, I have homework I need to be doing right now, I am sure someone else can get into more detail for you, I have to be good girl and get back to work.

Edited:
Cause I am a moron and couldnt let it go, here is a Wiki...now I must get back to school work.

Here is a Wiki on Stock cars. If you go towards the bottom of the article it even mentions that some of the cars that production models are front wheel, the "stock car" racing model is in fact rear wheel.

Front vs Rear is really a debate based on usage. Front is good for things that rear isn't and vice versa.

Now that's what I'm talking about. ;)
Good luck on your homework.

Correct, the only relationship the cars have to the major manufacturers at this point is the engine and even that isn't stock.

My how time has changed. 40 years ago these cars were mostly stock with the exception of the engine, transmission and tires. Now, I'd say nothing is stock anymore. These cars cost roughly $200,000 apiece. Imagine that these stock car teams can just roll another car out of the trailer when the driver totals the primary car in practice or qualifying. Their shop teams can build a new one in just days.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My how time has changed. 40 years ago these cars were mostly stock with the exception of the engine, transmission and tires. Now, I'd say nothing is stock anymore. These cars cost roughly $200,000 apiece. Imagine that these stock car teams can just roll another car out of the trailer when the driver totals the primary car in practice or qualifying. Their shop teams can build a new one in just days.

I thought the body had to conform to the 'stock' body in length, width and windscreen angle etc.

I know they use to check them with a template.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I thought the body had to conform to the 'stock' body in length, width and windscreen angle etc.

Well, if you use the term "stock" in that context where all cars must fit the very strict template, then yeah, it's stock cars.

They have a template for each make - one for Chevy, one for Ford, etc. to take into account the differences in the body shapes, but like you said, they all must conform to specific tolerances.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, if you use the term "stock" in that context where all cars must fit the very strict template, then yeah, it's stock cars.

They have a template for each make - one for Chevy, one for Ford, etc. to take into account the differences in the body shapes, but like you said, they all must conform to specific tolerances.

You are VERY in-informed on this. There is only one body template. Take a look at NASCAR.com for some good information.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Wow...not much gets past you huh?

The idea behind "stock" cars is that each team/driver starts out with basicly the same car. i.e. engine, chasis, body template. Making the racing more about the driver rather than about the engineer as in F1.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....