Justlovesit

My first rig

I've been skydiving for 3 months now, A guy at my dropzone has offered me a really good deal on a rig. It's a Mirage G3 with a Katana 120 in it. I weigh 145Ibs and have 31 jumps. I'm getting mixed advice, but really want this as it fits perfectly. Is it a good idea? I am a very conservative skydiver.

The short answer is no. The long answer is that the Katana is an extremely aggressive canopy, one step below those being used by pro swoopers. It's definitely not intended for new folk, and you'd find very few if any dropzones that would let you jump it.

Instead, look for canopies like the Sabre2, Pilot, Safire2, Sabre, Spectre, or Triathlon. All good, fun canopies that you can learn loads on without scaring yourself silly or having to visit the hospital. Titanium is expensive, and six months of pain while you're healing ain't all that either.

Check out the Classifieds here on this site (if you haven't already). There are quite a few "good" deals to be had being that it's still quite cold/yucky weather in a lot places right now. Some might even be willing to negotiate price, etc.

On another note, I'd be very weary of taking any advice from this guy trying to sell you this gear. It seems that he does not have your best interest or safey in mind and just wanted to get rid of his gear quickly.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

There's a lot of good reading in the Safety section (link near the top of this page). Have a read of Lisa Briggs' articles in the Gear & Equipment section, particularly those relating to choosing a canopy and buying your first set of gear. It'll clarify lots of things for you and help you to make sense of all the options.

Welcome to the sport :)

The short answer is no

The slightly longer answer is Hell no.

Justlovesit: As has been pointed out, the canopy is completely wrong and the size is completely wrong. Please, please spend some time learning about gear because if you don't know this there's likely a hell of a lot more that you don't know.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've been skydiving for 3 months now, A guy at my dropzone has offered me a really good deal on a rig. It's a Mirage G3 with a Katana 120 in it. I weigh 145Ibs and have 31 jumps. I'm getting mixed advice, but really want this as it fits perfectly. Is it a good idea? I am a very conservative skydiver.

take care to pick your reserve well. a PD160R would be a good choice. Leave the tiny rig for the future.

rm

At 31 jumps, that rig sounds like an excellent way to kill yourself.

As a comparison, I weigh about 15 pounds less than you do and have 69 more jumps (which isn't a lot). I bought my first rig at 20 jumps under the close supervision of instructors and friends who had my best interests in mind and did not profit from my decision. It was a silhouette 190 (a good beginner canopy) with a 178 reserve (which I promptly demoed to make sure I was comfortable with it), Javelin container, and a cypres. I bought a new canopy at 90 jumps. It's another 190. It's a spectre (also a good beginner canopy, because at 100 jumps, I'm still a beginner). My wingloading is conservative. I know that. I keep it that way because when I screw up (not if, but when...everybody screws up sooner or later), I want to have the best chance possible of walking away with a few bruises instead of being carried away in a body bag.

That guy must want you dead. I'm 10lbs lighter than you and have 72 jumps and i've just ordered my own rig with a 170 vtec from paratec, this canoapy has 2 line sattings you can get it with novice lines or experienced setting. This is the kinda thing you should be looking at. Go to your instructor, cci or clubs master rigger and ask them for some advice. Thats what they're there for. Just one other thing don't ask a dealer for advice he'll sell you whatever he deals and it might not be suitable fo you, remember you wana buy a rig so you can jump not so you can kill yourself on your 1st jump of, there should be no rush to get a smaller faster higher performance canopy. Just work on getting yourself onto the ground safely and then you can get to know what you can do with your canopy.

Blus Skies and Safe landings