moodyskydiver

sometimes doing the right thing...(long)

You make judgments on people based on a small ammoutnt of onscreen text, and think you know their "type"

Hehehehehe, you put it in quotes and still don't get it. :)
Allow me, boldly, to help you. ;)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

You make judgments on people based on a small ammoutnt of onscreen text, and think you know their "type"

no need for the help,
I'm done with this drivel from you, if you have anything of any personaly nature to imply to me or about me do it in Pm and try not waste the thread space
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

no need for the help,
I'm done with this drivel from you, if you have anything of any personaly nature to imply to me or about me do it in Pm and try not waste the thread space

Oh my! Balance and perspective, dude.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

i have both, from an outside point of view, as i said take it to PM this is my last post in here tto you
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

no need for the help,

Seeing things from a balanced perspective is always a good thing to strive for.

One can choose to always see the negative, but that's not exhibiting a whole lot of either.

What is the world is driving you that you would create another major ethical issue (over essentially nothing), three days into a job you evidently very much need??????

Integrity. Unfortunately, not everybody displays it or for that matter even understands the definition.

Good job, Amber. As you already know, if I had a business I'd hire you in a heartbeat, and this is just another indication of why. Don't let those who accept less from themselves affect how you act and think.

Nobody likes a RAT!! except the boss!!!!! You should have talked with the person teaching you! Sometimes the simple solution clears it up. Now this gal just got fired. Perhaps they need a morally grounded inexperienced cashier to take her place? You have the moral high ground? Maybe.

Doing the right thing still feels bad.

Then why do you feel bad for snitching??

So I spoke with the assistant manager after my shift today and told him the problem and asked that my name not be brought up b/c I know hes a good guy and I trust him.I just dont want to be dragged into this and be labeled a snitch or tattle-tale or whatever and be outcast from my coworkers.Should I have just kept my mouth shut?

You just asked HR to be dishonest and lie to anyone who asks who snitched on them. What is the difference? Dishonesty is dishonesty. You should hold your head up high and let everyone see you are the one who told HR. Then let them know that if you see anyone else doing any morally or ethically "questionable" behaviors you will turn them in too. No? Oh, I see. Humans are animals and as such we have a constant fight with our souls. I certainly don't see the degree difference between taking something out of a garbage can and asking HR to lie for you. I guess its all in how we allow ourselves to compromise our integrity. This gal just got sent to the unemployment line. They are probably better off now anyway because they don't have "snitches" to look out for. Points to ponder and help you sleep at night. :)
"whatcha doin with that lawn mower blade?"

I assume you did what you thought was right. That isn't wrong and ultimately the decision to discipline won't be your decesion. You just gave the facts.

However if the customer said the card was trash and to throw it away and the customer then walked away. I don't look on this as theft. If the customer had said here is a candy bar would you throw it away for me because I don't like chocolate would the cashier be wrong for keeping it and eating it later. Personally I wouldn't consider it stealing in either case because in both instances the customer said it was trash.

hmmm. I agree with this post.

If it was theft, who was the victim, exactly? or am I missing something here?

Sometimes when I was a teenager, I would find things of some use or value that someone had set out on the curb as trash.

Was I stealing?

I don't think so.

Did it make a difference to the neighbor if some of his trash was taken away by a neighborhood kid as opposed to the garbage man?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

hang on.. if the customer had bought something from u (u being the cashier) and as u were handing him a $20 bill as change, he said... oh i don't want it, just trash it.. would u still be taking this moral high ground of making sure it went into the trash can or would u just pocket it because u know that someone else (be it another employee, the person who takes out the trash, a homeless guy outside or the garbage collector) will eventually take it... or would u contact hr and give the $20 to the company because i am sure they will tell u its their policy that if people leave money, u have to give it to them (which company doesnt want more money?)

the point is.. once u've paid for the gift card, its like cash.. it doesnt belong to the company cos they already have the full amount.. the guy leaving it to be trashed is like him leaving his change from a purchase on the counter.. do u trash that too? im sure u wouldnt.

edit to add: after the guy told the chick to trash it if she had asked him would it be ok for her to just use it... do u reckon he would have said "sure i couldnt care less" or "hell no, u have to make sure it goes into the garbage can because i said trash it"

Amber always work from your own level of personal integrity, without that, you have very little left.

Pretty much sums it up.

Do I think it's a big deal, or 'really' stealing?
No...but maybe that says something about 'my' personal integrity.;)

Would I discourage her from, or be upset about her reporting it if I were the HR person?
HELL no...I would think I had an honest concerned employee that wanted clarification on a matter.

I'm with Squeak on this one, as long as you are true to your convictions...no harm no foul, good on you! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You did what was right, plain and simple. The intent of the co-worker was knowly taking cash/credit. I had to investigate parking attendants that would take parking cards, cash then check off the vehicle (mine included) as guest of annexed Hilton.
Error was Atty Gen. Ofc parks here too and they were hitting 20+ cars per day at $10 to 15 per car. I found that myself and 7 other persons from my Ofc alone, were getting passed thru as Hotel guests not cash paying cars. (our parking is reopened under our bldg now. 5 attendants were in on the scam.
You saw but, 1 occurence. How many happened that were never witnessed?
Uphold your good character, you won't compromise yourself ;)
-Grant

Ok, I know this thread is old, but I've been mulling it over for the last couple of days and someone else bumped it, so I'll go ahead and make my response.

I've come up with three questions that make the difference in my head:

1. Company policy is that every card must be accounted for. Once the employee uses the small amount left on the card, will it not then be accounted for? In other words, is the employee doing anything that will hinder company policy concerning the card, or just delay it?

2. Every definition I've been able to find for "theft" indicates that something must be taken from someone in order to be considered theft. If the customer didn't want the card and the company already has the money, who did the employee steal from?

3. If the company sells gift cards expecting that a certain portion will go unused, and thus create profit for the company, is that not a form of institutional thievery? I don't intend to imply that two wrongs make a right, but why has no one cried foul that the company is stealing from the general public on a much grander level?

Ok, I know this thread is old, but I've been mulling it over for the last couple of days and someone else bumped it, so I'll go ahead and make my response.

I've come up with three questions that make the difference in my head:

1. Company policy is that every card must be accounted for. Once the employee uses the small amount left on the card, will it not then be accounted for? In other words, is the employee doing anything that will hinder company policy concerning the card, or just delay it?

2. Every definition I've been able to find for "theft" indicates that something must be taken from someone in order to be considered theft. If the customer didn't want the card and the company already has the money, who did the employee steal from?

3. If the company sells gift cards expecting that a certain portion will go unused, and thus create profit for the company, is that not a form of institutional thievery? I don't intend to imply that two wrongs make a right, but why has no one cried foul that the company is stealing from the general public on a much grander level?

All very good points. I'm still trying to figure out how it was theft myself. *shrug*

All very good points. I'm still trying to figure out how it was theft myself. *shrug*

I personally never said it WAS theft.That came from the mouth of the HR.I simply asked her what the policy was in regards to this situation and she said it was theft.I dont know where/why she thought it was theft.I personally just thought it was a bit shady,thats why I asked for clarification of policy and policy states that all cards are to be accounted for after it leaves the customer's hands.Does that make the company a bit shady for keeping the unused portion of the card? I dont know b/c I dont know what they do with them.I'm just going by what I was told to do.Thats another question for the HR.

As of now nothing detrimental has happened to either the person making the mistake or myself,for those wondering what the outcome was.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I'm thinking that really in all the replies to this thread that nobody is wrong, if that makes sense. The difference is in the way people handle certain situations. What is clear is that everybody is divided over the issue which would indicate that this is certainly a grey area. What could have made prevented the situation maybe is if the cashier in the first place hadn't covertly taken the card ie had asked, and if the other girl hadn't gone to her supervisor straight away, ie spoken to the cashier herself, and then they both would have known where they stand with each other and possibly prevented this unimportant situation from happening.
What is clear through this post is the importance to always be honest and open about everything no matter what it is - then these things can be avoided - especially where money is concerned.
Having said all this If I had a company I'd employ the honest girl every time over somebody who took things, whatever they were, important or not. Somebody even taking something from the trash just says something about their moral character to me.