NWFlyer

Burning Bridges (A Lesson for the Hotheaded)

Not in my experience. I have worked as a permenant employee and a contractor (currently am again) and I've always been treated well as a contractor and can keep out of most of the company politics.

Contracting gives me the freedom that I didn't enjoy as a permenant member of staff ..... and I get paid more (£ - Kajing).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You are exactly right about not burning bridges.No matter what industry you work in "it is a small world". You never know when you will have to work with that company or that individual again.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

If you ever feel like you're in a position to serve up a big dish of "fuck you" and burn a bridge behind you, think long and hard before you do it. And it's usually a really good idea to keep that bridge intact in case you need to walk back over it some day.

Even if you have no doubt in your mind that you'd never darken that company's door again, leaving in such an unprofessional manner gets around your industry and could jepordize your employment prospects somewhere else.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Soemone once told me, "When you're at work, and you want to say "Fuck you!", just smile and say "Thank you". They mean the same thing."

:D

I would just smile and say "fuck you very much!" ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

asking what the hell happened. I told them. Evidently the rest of them must have gained the courage to tell their side of the story too because they all hated the prick. A week later he was demoted and yanked out of his corner office and put in a cubicle among the very people that hate him. .... I had to make sure the prick was held accountable too.

sometimes it is more important to 'fall on your sword' than to hedge your bets. Fence sitters rarely get the respect that someone who is willing to truthfully (and as respectfully as possible) speak their mind.

ofc many people are often sacrificed in every field simply for 'speaking truth to power'

I guess it depends on which is more important for you, the ability to return or your personal integrity.

I don't think you are necessarily damaging your personal integrity by leaving with class and dignity.

It is a small world, and not having to eat crow sometime down the road is not a bad thing. I don't think you have to lie, but neither is a ruckus always called for.

I don't think you are necessarily damaging your personal integrity by leaving with class and dignity.

It is a small world, and not having to eat crow sometime down the road is not a bad thing. I don't think you have to lie, but neither is a ruckus always called for.

I'd say it depends on the reasons for leaving and the overall work environment. Leaving others in an immoral, incompetent and deceitful environment without pointing exactly what has/is being going on simply so you still have 'an out' is (IMO) far worse than speaking your mind.

just me perhaps, but I've always had more respect for the people who are willing to speak the truth, then live with the outcome and possible repercussion than those who 'hedge their bets' because they might 'need that job' again.

If it is bad enough for you to leave, it should also be bad enough to call those in power out on their bullshit so your 'peers' left behind are not 'unaware'. A single pebble is often all it takes to start the avalanche and introduce change. Change that will never occur if the pebble is afraid of the fall.

the only reason you ever have to 'eat crow' is because you chose to put yourself back in that environment. Starving is a better option IMO

Those with integrity and solid work ethic rarely have difficulty finding employment in any field, just make sure you have the evidence to back an accusation you make.

Would I really want to work somewhere that a manager asks for advice from a low level employee?:)

In some industries it's really done that way, does anybody know so&so...what do you think of them...

I know working in Aerospace in San Diego, your underling this week, very well could be your boss down the street next week.

It's like that working military comms support, too... keep seeing the same names again and again...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's pretty clear with all of the things I've said on the internet I will never hold a high profile position. I will certianly never fulfil my dream to become president.

Yeah me either...WAY too many stained blue dresses in my history! ;)

blue dresses or hoop skirts?:D
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

It's pretty clear with all of the things I've said on the internet I will never hold a high profile position. I will certianly never fulfil my dream to become president.

Wooly mammoth hides
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Someone once told me, "When you're at work, and you want to say "Fuck you!", just smile and say "Thank you". They mean the same thing."

:D

So that's what you meant every time you said "thank you" to me??? :P

I didn't say I believed it, and I say "Thanks" more than I say "Thank you.":)

But thank you for your input!:P;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's pretty clear with all of the things I've said on the Internet I will never hold a high profile position. I will certainly never fulfil my dream to become president.

Woolly mammoth hides

Fig Leafs...:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

***Today, I'm really glad I did that, because I just got through talking to my boss at my old job about the possibility of doing some contract work for them on a short-term basis ***

I got laid off in September. They closed my office and 3 others around the country. I had been with the company for a little over 15 years, but had heard rumors of them closing our office for the past 2 so I had mentally prepared myself and since I had been there so long, I was just waiting for my severance package. I really really wanted to send out a few f-You email before I left, but didn't because company could be a good place to work if the right management is in place.

I just started working for them again as in independent contractor actually closing up the office. Nothing had been touched in the office since they "separated" us from the company September 17th. I approached them with the idea and they agreed since I was a good trustworthy employee. Heck, I went and picked up the HR (grim ripper) lady at her hotel, because I was asked by a person I worked for before I moved to a branch, so we could get it over with and go to the bar.

Definately not good to burn bridges, as tempting it and immediately gratifying it may be.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Judy

anyone need any office supplies?;)

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Anyone else 'liberate' a few odds & ends prior to moving on? :o

I always tend to find a bit of company letterhead stationary & envelopes in my briefcase...Ya never know, might come in handy. :)>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I always tend to find a bit of company letterhead stationary & envelopes in my briefcase...Ya never know, might come in handy. :)>:(

oh no!:$ Who would do such a thing.:D:D

Actually I told them that I was taking a monitor since I went to pick up the grim reaper. They said, with a giant sigh, "okay".

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Tempting!

I was really good - I cleaned out my personal effects, and made sure it was just the personal stuff ... though I could really use some illegal software right now (fortunately, I have friends at Micro$oft who can buy me legal copies, cheap!).

The really evil thing is that I was in charge of IT. I know all the "serious" passwords and I'm betting they're not changing them. So even though they've cut off my personal account I could probably still hack in on the System Admin accounts assuming no one's changed the passwords. I'm not about to do it, partly because I've got too much integrity to do it, and partly because I know any suspicious activity could probably be traced back to me anyway. It's a small company - there's not too many people who know those passwords... they're gonna wonder pretty quickly. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke