publiux

Differences in Packing Methods

As a student, I'm anxious to know as much as possible about our sport. To that end, I bought the "Packing Made Simple" DVD. It's a great DVD for someone like me to learn how to pack a canopy before I even take the course at my DZ. I figure it can't hurt to know a little about it beforehand so I can make my instructor's life easier.

The DVD shows you the pro pack, flat pack, and psycho pack. My question pertains to how differently these packs perform upon deployment. The DVD is great at explaining how to pack using these methods, but doesn't have a word on how they perform on opening.

What are your experiences in packing using different methods? Is there any hard and fast rule regarding which pack is better for which situation?

I'm sure I'll ask my instructors this questions when I take the packing class, but as I said, it can't hurt to know a little beforehand. Thanks in advance!
--
Raul Ruiz
'A' License Wannabe

I have that same DVD and it is good. I recommend that you pack a few times while watching the DVD.

That way you can pause it and rewind as needed during any section.

PRO packing is the standard way of packing today, it seems to give the best openings.

I have never psycho packed so I can't help on that one.

Flat packing is discouraged, if for no other reason than it taking so much realestate in the packing area.

Just curious.

Not passing judgement, but do you actually have 25 jumps without any packing instruction yet?

We start our students packing before they make jump number 4. By the time they have 15 jumps they are packing by themselves with general supervision. And totally on their own by 25 jumps.

We also do not charge to teach them to pack.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Yes, I do have 25 jumps, but these weren't your typical 25 jumps. I started training, then stopped, started again, then stopped (because of money issues when I was a college student). So I've accumulated 25 jumps without really any consistency. It's the main reason I want to start from square one.

The DZ where I started my course charged for the packing class. It wasn't terribly expensive, but I never got around to it because of the stopping and starting. I wish the packing course were free, but I understand why it wouldn't be in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it!
--
Raul Ruiz
'A' License Wannabe

Hello Publiux. I hope you will find a patient and competent friend, instructor or rigger to supervise you for packing. In the meantime have a check on this sheet I have prepared for the students taking my packing course.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hello Publiux. I hope you will find a patient and competent friend, instructor or rigger to supervise you for packing. In the meantime have a check on this sheet I have prepared for the students taking my packing course.

Thank you very much for that. I'm sure others are grateful for the attachment as well. Fly safe!
--
Raul Ruiz
'A' License Wannabe

The DZ where I started my course charged for the packing class. It wasn't terribly expensive, but I never got around to it because of the stopping and starting. I wish the packing course were free, but I understand why it wouldn't be in the grand scheme of things.

Where I am, students are just directed to a packer to ask them for a packing class. We usually just rotate it around. The rate is usually $20/ hour for the packing class. This what the office tells them and what the other packers charge. It is after all, this job is how we pay the bills and packing classes are usually done on weather days when we have the time. While everyone else charges this for their packing class, I don't charge anything. Most students will just tip me well for teaching them, whether its money or booze (sometimes both). I've only had one person not give me anything for the packing class, which is ok too. I was never charged by anyone for teaching me how to pack, so I just don't feel like I should charge for a packing class.

We all just want to jump right? Its just my way of giving back to the sport what its given to me.

my DZ doesnt exactly charge for the packing class either. and i guess you couldnt even say it was a "class". the DZO just walked me over to one of his packers and told her to teach me. she was really patient and helpful so i gave you i think like 30 bucks for helping me out, cause i know she could have been doing other things and making money.

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

...Is there any hard and fast rule regarding which pack is better for which situation?

The openings should be very similar with each method, if done correctly.

I have some arthritis in my hands, and the Psycho Pack presents a much more manageable piece to put into a D-bag, so that's why I use that method.

Kevin K.

{Flat packing is discouraged, if for no other reason than it taking so much realestate in the packing area.}

I have not heard flat packing as being discouraged before. Maybe someone is annoyed at the amount of space you take up but no one has ever discouraged me. I flat pack for two reasons.

One I have a Nav 280 and even with my 6'5" height the thing is awkward while standing.

Second, I learned to pack from military instructors. The military flat packs and that's good enough for me. I actually have tried my first rig pro packed and didn't like the opening so went back. I just never felt like trying on the new one.

I am conscious of the space I take up so often I find myself packing after the rest of the load is done. That does mean I might miss a load by being slow at some DZ's but mostly I find there is plenty of room.

My favorite method is handing it to a packer, but if I must, I use either the pro, psycho or flat depending how I feel. Since I have a right shoulder problem that actually requires that I use the older style leg strap pilot chute, pro is a bit painful since I must reach deep inside the material to clear it properly.

The bottom line is that once determined that the there are no entanglements, just about any method will work. I'm speaking about the larger canopies that I and the newbies should be jumping.

I don't pay much attention but I think some of the higher performance stuff might have some recommended packing methods.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

One advantage of psycho packing is the distress that the term "psycho packing" evokes in some folks. Since most folks consider all jumpers crazy, the idea of someone packing in a manner that jumpers call "psycho" is baffling to some. That is just fine with me. Besides psycho packing is easy!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Just watched the psycho vids a couple of times and gave it a try. I found it heaps easier than I have pro packing my sabre2 210 that's got less than 50 jumps on it. Can't wait to try it out next weekend on the dz.

I did too. If you can not fold why do you think you would be able to roll???:S

One I have a Nav 280 and even with my 6'5" height the thing is awkward while standing.

While I think you should pack in the method that best suits you, I am surprised that you find it awkward at your stature to PRO pack a Nav280. Being 5'9" I find PRO packing Strong 400's a bit awkward but easily manageable. I'm talking about over-the-shoulder packing.

Maybe it's just unfamiliarity with PRO packing, you being a military-trained flat packer. You might ask a local rigger or packer to show you some tips on PRO packing, then, if you want to, you can pack when you land and not miss those loads! ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Most likely my not being familiar with pro packing has a lot to do with it. Its not that I think its impossible as I have seen a few packers doing standup tandem rigs ( without a hook) at a few DZ's. But it isn't as comfortable for me. I seem to have an easier time making sure my lines are straight and clean if I flat pack and for right now that gives me a lot of confidence in my equipment.

I used to think it was impossible to not look like a slab of plywood chucked out the door and now I can actually fly pretty steady. As I move forward I'm sure other things will change too.

One advantage of psycho packing is the distress that the term "psycho packing" evokes in some folks. Since most folks consider all jumpers crazy, the idea of someone packing in a manner that jumpers call "psycho" is baffling to some. That is just fine with me. Besides psycho packing is easy!

I love the look I get when I am rolling my canopy like a sleeping bag. Like WTF are you doing? You are going to die!