ernokaikkonen

How much unstowed line do you leave when packing a main?

Bill Booth's post about line stowing practices surprised me. I hadn't realised some people were leaving that much lines unstowed. I usually leave about 50cm(20"), that seems to be enough to keep HP canopies from twisting up. Obviously some people think that's not enough, and maybe on some set-ups it isn't.

So, in order to shed more light on the subject, here's a poll; How much line do you leave unstowed when packing a main canopy?

If people feel that they have to leave close to 36" unstowed, and that same 36" is the threshold(as stated by Mr.Booth) that allows the nasty "lines-around-main-flaps" malfunction, something should be done.

Is it really necessary in any situation to leave that much line unstowed? I've always thought that as long as the bag can leave the main container without snagging on the corners of the reserve container, you've got enough unstowed line. Maybe the unstowing of the lines and the resulting "bag wobble" during deployment can also contribute to line twists?

If that's the case, what's the solution? One idea I came up with was to use a bag with only locking stows, and a pouch for the rest of the lines like on a reserve freebag. That way the lines would be fed out through the center of the bag during deployment, and as such there would be no bag wobble to worry about.

I've always thought that as long as the bag can leave the main container without snagging on the corners of the reserve container, you've got enough unstowed line.

Bingo.

Maybe the unstowing of the lines and the resulting "bag wobble" during deployment can also contribute to line twists?

Doubtful.

One idea I came up with was to use a bag with only locking stows, and a pouch for the rest of the lines like on a reserve freebag. That way the lines would be fed out through the center of the bag during deployment, and as such there would be no bag wobble to worry about.

Ask Sparky, he's been using one for some time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not wanting to change what has always worked for me...

~8" - about the distance from the links to the bottom corners of the main compartment with a little slack. (I also "split-stow" the last stow, a technique I don't teach but always use myself.) This keeps the lines from crossing the container near the closing loop anchor.

About the gear used:
Vector I and II
PD-260 w/ dacron lines
Spector -230 w/ spectra lines (I think)

More techniques I use on my own gear but not currently recommended:
1" bites
double wrapped stowes for all non-locking

I KNOW this goes against current techniques, but it has worked on MY gear (old & big) for >1000 jumps and makes me happy. :)
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

At a PIA Symposium 5 or 7 years ago, we posed this question to John Leblanc (Performance Designs), Brian Germain (Big Air), John Sherman (Jump Shack), etc. and the consensus was: "a minimum of 18 inches between the last rubber band and the connector links."
Much less slack than that and you risk snagging a riser under the lower corner of the reserve container.
Much more slack than that and you risk suspension lines half-hitching around main side flaps.

how does the split stow look?

on my container (wings) with the 2-3" per stow, I have a choice of skipping the 8th and final stow on one end and having about 20-24", or I can use the last stow and have the lines from the opposite side stretch over. So I go with option 1.

If I went with larger bights, probably wouldn't have that middle ground, but doesn't seem like an improvement.

QUOTE-----on my container (wings) with the 2-3" per stow, I have a choice of skipping the 8th and final stow on one end and having about 20-24", or I can use the last stow and have the lines from the opposite side stretch over. So I go with option 1.

I do that on my vector for the same reason.