ACMESkydiver

Would You Change Your Citizenship For Your SO?

I'm just saying IF you were required to leave the country that you're in/from to marry or stay with your significant other...

-would you? :)
I'm keeping it pretty generic, and I posted it here because I didn't think it would necessarily warrant an SC requirement, (of course if I'm wrong on that we'll know pretty quickly :ph34r:).

I don't know what brought it up, but man that would be a tough one for me! Joe and I met in the military...but what if we had met in the military because we were serving for different countries? Happens all the time...we had Brits & other nationals on Ft. Lewis frequently.

Wow that was a weird thing to wrap my little brain around...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

relocate, yes. Dual citizenship, probably. Renounce citizenship, nope.

Sure sure, that's along the lines of what I was thinking...my friend has dual citizenship.

I don't know about renouncing the citizenship. That would be INCREDIBLY hard! I love this place. [:/]

When it comes down to it, I love him more. >sigh<...guess i just get to stop shaving my legs and underarms italian alt=":D" data-emoticon="true" height="20" src="/uploads/emoticons/biggrin.png" srcset="/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":D" width="20">:D:D
~Jaye

yes.

the commitment of an individual to another far outweighs the commitment of any country to an individual.

However US law has been clarified.. so it isnt a problem for any 'natural born citizen'

As far as I know there is no country I cannot share my Canadian citizenship with.

Ah, but that wasn't the question, sweetheart. B|

But since I don't have to give up anything I wouldn't have to change citizenship, I could just add one. Why on earth would I not?

You are missing the point of the question entirely...

The question was this: Let's say...for shits and giggles...hypothetically speaking...you had to relinquish your citizenship to stay with your significant other...would you?
~Jaye

Ditto!

Edited to add: I have a dual citizenship, but would never renounce my U.S. Citizenship...for anything or anyone!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I am an American citizen married to a Danish citizen and living in Denmark. I have Danish residency (Temporary), thanks to our marriage, but will not be eligible for Danish citizenship or permanent residency for 7 years.

Denmark does not recognize dual citizenship.

At this time in my life I am NOT interested in trading my blue passport in for a red one, but I cannot say what the world will be like in 7 years when I am eligible. I doubt I will switch, but will not make that decision now. I will be allowed to stay on in Denmark without taking citizenship by maintaining my residency (like a USA Green Card program).

Denmark requires proficiency in Danish to get residency (written and oral) and backs it up with free language instruction for 3 years. In order to get Danish citizenship one needs to pass a very strict test that covers not only language skills but also social, political and economic questions about the country.

ACME---move to Italy (or wherever your heart takes you), study the language, learn the people. The decision to change citizenship will not have to be one made lightly. Find out if you like being an expat first!

My opinion:

Every US citizen should live outside the USA for at least 6 months. You would get a better idea of how the rest of the world looks at "us". The experience has changed me and (at this time) I do not see me moving back to the USA in the near future--although I would not mind exploring other countries in if my husband were able to relocate.

that is my two kroner worth in any case.

kate
edited to reflect that the USA DOES recognize dual citizenship

Neither the USA nor Denmark recognize dual citizenship.

incorrect.

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual_citizenship.html

US Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html

The primary effect of recent developments in the US regarding dual citizenship has been to add the requirement that loss of citizenship can only result when the person in question intended to give up his citizenship.

I stand corrected.

I have been told that when one accepts citizenship in Denmark they walk you down to the US embassy and have you renounce your US citizenship.

I guess that would mean that Denmark does not recognize dual citizenship?

Sorry for the misinformation--I'm new at this.
k

My wife, being Japanese, and I talk about it. Japan does not allow dual citizenship, so for now, she has chosen to remain a Japanese citizen, even though she has lived in the US for more than half her life. It's her choice, and I have no problem accepting it.

As for me, I've told her I would happily move to Japan, and knowing Japan's laws about citizenship, I would remain a US citizen.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

if you were to divorce couldn't you just apply to be a citizen again? i mean, of all the people they give citizenship to, someone who was one for 30 years (and was born there) has got to be top of the list. if you can just re-apply then it wouldn't be major problem would it?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

i had a relationship with a danish girl for 3 years, ended up moving to denmark to live.

I am currently in a relationship with an australian for the past 5 years and live near her family in australia.

I hae dual nationality, two passports, British and Nz.

NZ passport lets me live in New Zealand and australia without visas or without needing to become a citizen or resident.

British passport lets me live in the EU without needing to become a citizen.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

As far as I know there is no country I cannot share my Canadian citizenship with. My sister has declined to get British citizenship even though she has lived there for twenty years because that would cost the kids their Canadian passports (they were born there).

That i dont think is completly correct now.

It use to be that if your father was born in the uk your children can get a uk passport. Now i think if your mother has a uk passport her children can also get one.

I know many canadians, australians, south africans, new zealanders that have dual citizenship without having to give their passports up for their land of birth

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Denmark does not recognize dual citizenship.

Pretty sure it does. I think you will find it is the USA that makes you relinguish the USA passport if you take on a danish one.

I also have residnecy in denmark and was about to become a citizen and never would i have had to give up my new zealand passport or my british passport. this was 8 years ago though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have a British and an Australian passport, wouldnt bother me giving up the British one as long as I could keep my AU citizenship. I guess if you want to be with them more than anything then youll do what you have to !
On the topic of passorts etc etc my British passport had just expired when I had to make a rush trip back to the UK in Jan, so I had to enter on my AU one, no biggie but I was a little insulted by the none English born person at Imigration, telling me I could not stay in my country of birth for longer than 3 months etc etc. not that I wanted to stay but.
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

I agree... I would never renounce my US citizenship... unless of course a certain female antichrist makes into office... then I want nothing to do with the US, ya'll can find me in Germany then... thats where my ancestors are from anyway....;)

Yep... pretty much the same here. No job so what the heck, if she's rich, I'll get rid of this fixer-upper house. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban