DSE

Flying just got more expensive

My favorite airline won't do that. No lines at security either.

But it has a weight limit that actually matters. For the airlines, weight you bring is cargo space they can't sell.

I just got an UW housing for a 20d that by itself weights ~8lbs. Add the camera, lenses, strobe, dome port and luggage strong enough to hold it and we're talking one heavy carryon bag.

Think about it, United is based out of Denver. Denver is a HUGE destination spot for skiing/snowboarding, guess who is going to be screwed in that one. Yep the tourists with ski's/boards, cause you sure can't fit a pair of skis in a normal suitcase.
Fly it like you stole it!

I don't mind paying more for extra luggage if it helps keep ticket prices down. I'd much rather pay for services I actually use (when I use them) than for those I don't.

If it's just about weight though, why does my ticket cost the same as the person sitting next to me who weighs a good 100 pounds more than me? They certainly aren't going to let me check 100 pounds of extra luggage to even things out!

Apparently we really won't be traveling with the tacky hot pink suitcase anymore!

I don't mind paying more for extra luggage if it helps keep ticket prices down. I'd much rather pay for services I actually use (when I use them) than for those I don't.

If it's just about weight though, why does my ticket cost the same as the person sitting next to me who weighs a good 100 pounds more than me? They certainly aren't going to let me check 100 pounds of extra luggage to even things out!

Apparently we really won't be traveling with the tacky hot pink suitcase anymore!

Haha!! That suitcase is awesome - maybe they have one like it that's a size smaller?

Haha!! That suitcase is awesome - maybe they have one like it that's a size smaller?

Perhaps, but where's the fun in a suitcase that is a manageable size?:D

Think about it, United is based out of Denver. Denver is a HUGE destination spot for skiing/snowboarding, guess who is going to be screwed in that one. Yep the tourists with ski's/boards, cause you sure can't fit a pair of skis in a normal suitcase.

No, the ski resorts will ensure that doesn't happen. Skiers and golfers have always been favored in the rules, while bicyclists have been tagged with obnoxious fees even when their luggage fits the size limits.

underweight is credited at 0.8Y

I won't be surprised to see something like this, where you are charged extra for more weight, but you will never, ever be given money back for being underweight. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar industry - giving money back, even pennies, will result in the BOD of said airline firing the CEO and everyone else involved.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Only people that go over the limits.

And I'm ok with that. Weight is money in aviation..we all know that. :P

Well, the limit is now one bag instead of two.

They are also increasing the extra cost for a bag weighing 51-70# to $100 (each way, of course).

I'll be happy to weigh in and pay based on the weight of myself and my bags.

^^this.. weight is weight, if this is to be the policy you should be paying by total weight.. skinny types can pack heavy and heavier types must pack lightly...

ofc that wont fly, fat fucks will scream discrimination...

if this trend continues (and every indication is that it will) overnighting luggage prior to travel will become an even more lucrative business to be in.. you pretty much have to if you travel with any equipment at all nowdays.. i used to carry my toolkit with me after one got 'lost' (under the TSA's more watchful eyes even:S) it now adds an extra day or so of planning to simply coordinate that your tools and equipment will arrive.. in my business that cost gets passed on to the government, wasting more tax money

even when their luggage fits the size limits.

not what you are referring to, but it is staggering how many carry ons do not fit the restrictions..

I got into it with one guy (pissed that i moved his bag that he had shoved in sideways taking up nearly 3 times its actual space) when i challenged him ($200) if his bag would fit in the sizing guidelines (my backpack looks larger but easily compresses to fit) he backed down hastily.. the stewardess wasnt happy with me (his bag had to be gate checked right near the time they were getting ready to close) but it was obvious it was oversized and "mine was there first" isnt a defense.

Oversized "carry on" luggage is my #1 gripe in traveling right now. With 85+ segments last year, it gets old very fast. I wish the regulation was more strictly enforced like it is in england. Show the ticket agent it will fit or it gets checked.

I agree that this will simply backfire in the airlines face. Just another poorly thought out execution of a "good idea". Do they consult frequent travelers before they carry out these policies??

1. People will simply carry on 2 bags now which will
- Bog down security even more
- Strain all ready full overhead space
- make flights later due to lack of overhead space "battles"

2. If I wanted 2 bags checked, I will simply gate check them (refer back to problem 1's list ;)) to avoid the $25 penalty

3. Drive business away
- with fares so cut-throat now, the $50 round trip penalty will really affect some peoples perception of the airline

** Yes I understand that weight = fuel = bottom line, but think of the negative press involved in being the FIRST to do this. I have long thought that the nickle and dimeing of this industry is very annoying. I would imagine a $5 hike in fares across the board would have been far more profitable than what this will produce.

Just like charging $8 for a snack box, when a few dollars built into the ticket price to provide a snack box "for free" :S and go a long way to making you look like a good airline instead of a greyhound bus of the sky

I know what they should do....BLAME GENERAL AVIATION!!!! :|

Don't bring any clothes on trips.

Find the local Good Will store when you land and spend 30 bucks for a weeks worth of clothes, toss them back in the GW box before you leave.

Start a new fashion trend. It will make boogies and business meetings much more interesting:P

Edited to add...you can write the returned items off of your taxes.