DSE

Haiti Woman Dies Mid-flight

The FACTS are pretty much totally irrelevant to the American press.

That disclaimer should be mandated on every news story/video/et al in the US - it would be about the only true statement you hear from the media.

How do you prove there wasn't any oxygen anyway? Both bottles used, all the O2 gone, whether it was there in the first place or not. I doubt AA will take the rap for that one, but you may want to short-sell their stock until everyone figures that out.

AADs are simple enough that a five-year old can admin them (I'm certified as an O2 administrator, as well as on AADs, and I can tell you that AADs are much simpler of the two). I have a hard time believing it didn't work - they will tell you if their batteries are too low for use, they will speak clear instructions on what to do on every step. BUT they can not solve every heart problem out there - they will activate only if they detect fibrillation.

It's going to get to the point that someone sues someone else in this country every single time someone dies :S There are clear cases of negligence, but there are also clear cases of greed.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Rookie120
You say that with broken tools you would climb out to fix an aircraft, come on man.. be serious I am not a AP and know that you are not going to make that happen by climbing out... I think you missed the metaphor of that the DR may have knowledge just as you have knowledge in aircraft maintence, but without the tools to complete the job then your knowledge is just wasted as was the Docs in this case.
the report was that there where O2 tanks on board, the pax was denied twice when asking for them but then it is REPORTED that two tanks where empty, by who this was reported I don't know, but having someone trained int eh use of 02 (Dr/fa) I would asume that because they had to get a second that the first one was used up or empty and a second tank was called for.. either the pt died while trying to use the 2nd tank or it was also empty and of no use due to her passing.. something was diffrent or had changed.
The AED presents to be an oddity, did she have a shockable rythym? hard to tell because the thing did not work or was sensing artifact from vibration of the aircraft and would not sense her true rythm, so that makes it she had a NOn shockable rythm or it was shockable and the machine did not work and that may have been due to the broken machine or artifact, we won't know unless the autopsy reveals this.
You have taken great offense when someone offers an opinion or thought outside of one of your own, you have taken advice of medical professionals and pretty much told them they don't know what they are talking about because they where not there and nor where you, yet you take the side of your airline because they have checks and balances to make sure that all equipment works all the time and if that where the case then why do they hire anyone to fix anything.. I mean tanks are never empty and AEDs always work in your airline right?
Well I am not an ambulance chasing lawyer, I actually work in an ambulance and see cardiac death all the time, without cardiac probelms I would not have much of a job really and unlike in your aircraft world sometimes we get o2 tanks that are empty and that really sucks, lucky for us we carry 5 tanks on board and AEDs do fail in our field on occassion as well.
has the media made this sensational, yes maybe.. but some of the facts are that this passenger is dead, she was DENIED 02 per her request and that alone is non excusable.. why carry o2 on board if it's not for use? having a duty to act as the FA has and not actiing upon it is breach of duty.. if I with held o2 to a pt then I would be in serious trouble..
I like kbord am out of this one, she nor I seem to know nothing about medical conditions and the effects of altitude on the heart and since your airlines tanks and aeds as well as FA's are flawless and perfect then perhaps it was her time to die.
www.greenboxphotography.com

Actually.. What is being reported is the Cousin CLAIMS the Tanks were empty. AA Claims they were full and working.

Let me throw a Hypothetical situation at you.. Lady is having trouble breathing. They give her oxygen.. She says she still cant breathe, The oxygen tank must be broke or empty since she still cant breath, so they another one, She still cant breath. She goes into arrest. They get a Defib but the defib doesn’t shock her like everyone has seen TV.

So the cousin comes out of this thinking, The Tanks were empty because she still could not breath once they gave her oxygen and the Defib didn’t work because it didn’t Shock her and magically bring her back to life like on TV.

In reality, The oxygen may have been working perfectly but it just wasn’t making a difference, the Defib may have been working exactly as designed but there was no shockable rhythm.

This is just one possible plausible explanation for what could have happened here.

Do not believe ANYTHING you read in the news. It is most often sensationized and spun so many ways by the time we read it that finding out what really happened is next to impossible.

Do not believe ANYTHING you read in the news. It is most often sensationized and spun so many ways by the time we read it that finding out what really happened is next to impossible.

As badly as the media routinely butchers its stories on skydiving incidents, this is entirely plausible.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This sounds about right.

In these days of instant communication, the penalty for being wrong in your news story is much smaller than the penalty for being late.

Kind of sucks, but there it is. People buy papers/go to the website based on the headlines they see, not based on the ones that are still being researched.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You say that with broken tools you would climb out to fix an aircraft, come on man..

Guess I missed the sarcasm button.:P
:Dthat's not the only thing you missed either:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?