sangiro

Open Forums

Hey all,

The Bonfire, like Speakers Corner, is an open forum that was created to provide a platform where skydivers and whuffos can hang out, ask questions, socialize and talk about non-skydiving related stuff. It seems like some people misunderstand what we mean with "open" though....

When we launched the new Forum Rules 4 years ago (yes, it's been that long!) I made a post to help explain what openness means on here. Read the full post if you want but here's a little quote from it:

"Open" at Dropzone.com does not mean that the loudest, most obnoxious, most profane individuals are given the chance to steal the floor by sheer audacity. "Open" has never meant that individuals have a license to abuse the platform and the audience that these forums offer them. "Open" has never meant that blatant racism and sexism should be tolerated. "Open" has never meant that individuals are free to beat topics into the ground and thrive on provoking others. "Shock value" is not something that we value, and it has absolutely nothing to do with true openness.

Unfortunately there are users who abuse this forum in exactly the way we did not intend them to.

If you are a "loud obnoxious" user who wake up every morning, scour the web for some spam or think of the most useless thread you can come up with to entertain yourself with during the day, then you're abusing this platform. If you try to come up with post after post to enhance your online reputation as the provider of "shock value" then you're doing the same.

If you are one of these people, I suggest you take a step back and reconsider your posting habits on this site. It's not fair to expect other users to wade through and around the garbage that you dump here, nor is it fair to expect the moderators to baby-sit individuals who clearly have no interest in helping us create the kind of environment that we're hoping to build here.

Contrary to what you think I can assure you your behavior drives away a lot more people than the small group of like-minded posters who jump onto every senseless thread you create to cheer you along. I'm not going to be content with you driving away people from this site. I will gladly see you to the door.

I know very well that this message only applies to a small group of people, so I do apologize to the majority who have always been coming here to chat, make friends and have a good time.

Let's have fun - keep it clean! :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I hope the "loud obnoxious" users have enough of a clue to understand that you are referring to them.

I'm kinda hoping that it would come with a pm type warning. . . . cuz part of me is wondering: "Am I a loud obnoxious" user? Or have I just been a postwhore during this past month of confinement to my bed.

If you are a "loud obnoxious" user who wake up every morning, scour the web for some spam or think of the most useless thread you can come up with to entertain yourself with during the day, then you're abusing this platform. If you try to come up with post after post to enhance your online reputation as the provider of "shock value" then you're doing the same.

I think these two sentences make it very clear that you are not one of them. :)

Please don't interpret those 2 sentences as the only examples of users who are abusing this platform.

My sentiments about those who start these threads and posters who can't wait for the next useless thread to pop up so they can chime in with and even more useless one-liner are exactly the same.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Hey Honch,

If the posts you refer to are simply the ones in which people get "loud" and "obnoxious" over real-world issues, I must disagree - so long as the poster stays on subject.

If, however, you are referring to the people who have decided dz.com is the place to talk about every sick topic under the sun, you get my vote.

I'm no prude, and even I'm sick of clicking on a thread only to find the subject matter sick and irrelevant.

I don't care what some of you like to take a dump on and nibble with a nice bottle of chianti. I just don't think this is the place to tell skydivers about your latest recipes.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I hope the "loud obnoxious" users have enough of a clue to understand that you are referring to them.

I'm kinda hoping that it would come with a pm type warning. . . . cuz part of me is wondering: "Am I a loud obnoxious" user?

Me too. I don't think I've ever been warned for any of my posts, but I suppose some might consider me a "loud obnoxious user." I suppose I'll know for sure if Sangiro suddenly shows me the door.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I haven't been posting as much lately because of the number of forum regulars who don't skydive and/or don't participate in the community outside of dz.com.

I think its great that people have made friends on here and want to maintain those relationships. However, going back to when I first signed up here, it was because I wanted to talk to people I'd actually be able to meet someday and jump with. If I had come across these forums as they've been lately, when I was a new jumper, I would never have signed up or come back.

I've traveled the country and met literally hundereds of awesome skydivers due to relationships I've made on this site. Its getting harder to find more people like that on here though.

You can think I'm a bitch or a snob for expressing this opinion.. I really don't care. There are lots of social networking sites out there now.

Hey Honch,
... I must disagree

So.

I just don't think this is the place to tell skydivers about your latest recipes.

Why not? It is the bonfire after all; this forum is specifically for non-skydiving, non-controversial topics.

You have a point, so here's a suggestion:

How 'bout Honcho starts a new forum section called "discussions about non-skydiving related subjects such as p*ssing on your girlfriends face for sexual pleasure, swallowing epicac for the purpose of winning a "hold your vomit down the longest" contest, and other assorted subjects that must be allowed here because Andrewwhyte says so.

Using your logic. Sangiro will likely just remove the section completely.

I was going to question your whole travelling thing, as I had to travel to Georgia to see you the last two times, but then I remembered risking life and limb to recover your ski in Tahoe. ;)

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was going to question your whole travelling thing, as I had to travel to Georgia to see you the last two times, but then I remembered risking life and limb to recover your ski in Tahoe. ;)

Blues,
Dave

My hero!! ;):$

Yeah I think I have 15 states? Including WA, CA, AZ... I've been out "left". B|

I haven't been posting as much lately because of the number of forum regulars who don't skydive and/or don't participate in the community outside of dz.com.

I think its great that people have made friends on here and want to maintain those relationships. However, going back to when I first signed up here, it was because I wanted to talk to people I'd actually be able to meet someday and jump with. If I had come across these forums as they've been lately, when I was a new jumper, I would never have signed up or come back.

I've traveled the country and met literally hundereds of awesome skydivers due to relationships I've made on this site. Its getting harder to find more people like that on here though.

I couldn't have said it better.....see you soon!!!!:)

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

Getting loud over a real world issue usually isn't what is being refered to but there are a few exceptions to this but for the most part those conversations are not found in the Bonfire to begin with. Getting loud to show people that you can start more threads in a day then anyone else or that more people avoind your threads then everyone elses is an abuse of the forums.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I, as you may have noticed, have tried to tone down my antics quiet a bit. I don't spend every waking minute on this forum as I have in the past. That's really amazing, since I have a broken leg and don't have anything better to do.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I agree with Kitty. There are a lot of people who are only here to see how really gross they can be and could care less about skydiving. I remember way back when (8+ years ago) when we really did talk about skydiving and plan trips to see each other and develop those friendships. No most of those people along with myself don't post much anymore.

That said...I do miss the fun times we shared and I miss many of you guys; however, I can't make myself take advantage of my free time to read much anymore because there is just so much crap.

I miss the Pub, laughing and playing only to find out HH was one of the people in the pub when he kicked someone off. Guess those were the good old days.

HH...thank you for what you do to make this place a good place to hang out and talk to friends. Maybe one day it will be back like it used to be. Until then I can't read all that junk - I have a life.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Please take note...I've only been on here for a little over a year and this is just my personal opinion.

In my opinion the bonfire is for exactly that, threads that have nothing to do with skydiving. I love having a place where I can make silly posts. There are plenty of skydiving related forums. So if you would like to strictly talk about skydiving go to one of those forums. I feel the bonfire should not contain any SERIOUS skydiving threads.

But like I said that's just my opinion.

Well, about the only solution would be to create a new forum called "Mindless Drivel" and install the biggest offenders as the moderators. It would have to be set up like the Drunk Dial forum where you request to be allowed to view and post to it, and those who don't care don't even notice it's there. I bet you the traffic in The Bonfire will drop at least 75%. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban