Squeak

MonkeyFist Collapse

I (as some of you will know) not long ago bought a brand new M308 Vetor3 Micron well about 6-8 weeks ago the Monkey fist collapsed, on inspection I found that the Monkeyfist centre is notbning more than a pingpong ball. I was very surprised.
The pinpong ball has cracked and collapsed.
I would have thought somthing solid like a styrofoam ball would be a better choice.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If so what was your experience with getting it rectified.

I emailed Rossi weeks ago and have had no real result other than we're on it. I took less time to build and recieve my whole rig.
I also PM'd Bill but have had no reply.
The Monkey fist is now in a state where I won't jump the rig, so my rigger has it and will have to get a different one to fix the PC.
I'm not happy about being out of pocket and not being able to jump my rig:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Momkey fist collapsed

so did mine when I changed the helieum in the key! hahaha...so just in case..mine has the small styrofoam ball, or just go back to a hackey...problem fixedB|

This is not bonfire:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you are not jumping an original monkey fist. we manufacture the monkeyfist pilot chutes at my home dropzone and we use the little yellow styrofoam balls.

I'm jumping the Monkeyfist that came with the PC on the Vector from RWS, I have NO idea where they source their Monkey fists from. (as far as "origina" goes, monkey fists have been around for a VERY long time used for trowing lines in nautical applications).
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you are not jumping an original monkey fist. we manufacture the monkeyfist pilot chutes at my home dropzone and we use the little yellow styrofoam balls.

I'm jumping the Monkeyfist that came with the PC on the Vector from RWS, I have NO idea where they source their Monkey fists from. (as far as "origina" goes, monkey fists have been around for a VERY long time used for trowing lines in nautical applications).

As far as I know Monkey Fist in regards to skydiving has only been around for a dozen years or so. At least that's when it was first pitched to my company in the mid 90's. We ulitmatly chose not to run with it. Go figure?

Mick.

I've got probably 800 jumps on monkey fists I got from Skycat (kelli) and the have held up great. Not sure what the core is on hers.

I make this with those yellow foam practice golf balls. They get the crap compressed out of them by the time I'm done with the tightening process.
Fly it like you stole it!

. I'm surprised its taking them so long to rectify this problem.

Me too[:/]
Especially since all other aspects of my dealing with RWS have been great, but this one has gone on far too long, so long that I have had to get my local rigger to fix it instead, costing me more money>:(
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

> as far as "origina" goes, monkey fists have been around for a VERY long time used for trowing lines in nautical applications
EXACTLY!!!!!! That's the origin of the so-called "monkey fist" (in my language it's called "lines thrower").
And in nautical application a monkey fist/line thrower has got NOTHING INSIDE, in the sense it is made up from the very centr by the same rope that, with the right "path" goes along up and around, up and around up to reach the final diameter.
I haven't got myself a monkey fist (I use the "old" plastic tube") but honestly it's really SCARY to know that monkey fists:
1) are NOT made completely from rope
2) have got something really collapsible/fragile on the inside
And the above (to place a ping pong ball on the inside) is only for saving labour time.
I do understand that perhaps manufacturing a monkey fist completely with rope could come out too heavy, but, then, a good (and sound) way to keep it light would be to place an "uncollapsible" core in the inner.
An "uncollapsible" core could be a sort of expanded-hard-plastic-foam, which is light, slightly compressible but for sure NOT collapsible.
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com