wilcox

Condition of vectran lines?

The way I have checked lines in the past is to spread them and look inside.

If the inside of the line is still the original tan/wheat color, they are probably still good.

If the inside of the line is is grey, its probably time to get a line set.

Know that the brake lines are going to wear faster, but replacing just the brake lines is pretty easy.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

When the parachute is turning without input?

That's how I found out my were done. I asked why my canopies where turning and flaring like crap. How many jumps on them I was asked? "Oh".

I've had them both relined.

When the parachute is turning without input?

That's how I found out my were done. I asked why my canopies where turning and flaring like crap. How many jumps on them I was asked? "Oh".

I've had them both relined.

This is only true for canopies lined with shrinking or stretching line such as spectra or dacron, respectively. Vectran really doesn't change legnth at all, similar to hma in that respect, and therefore it won't go out of trim. There is nothing that would create an unecesary turn due to line life on vectran.

Cheers,
Travis

"When it wears out".:S Helpful, isn't it.

It's impossible to give exact figures as the wear depends on so many factors, but a good starting point would be "Change steering lines at 300 jumps, and the whole line set at 600".

YMMV; I've heard of Vectran line sets lasting well over a 1000 jumps.

If its fraying, it might need to be raplaced (ie brake lines).

The rest of the line set probably won't fray that much. It will just turn grey. That's when you look inside for the tan/wheat color. If its there and the line looks structurally good, I would say its good.

If it looks structural but is no longer tan on the inside, I would think about replacing it.

I myself will continue to jump a line set a long time, as long as the brake lines are good, go to town.

But if you want to know when you should get a line set, this method works pretty well.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome