Lolie

Stupid people who pretend they skydive...

I was getting my ears pierced Sunday; I went into the room where I was getting it done, and there was a skateboard on the wall, so I (trying to make conversation, while the guy was poking a needle through me) asked, "So... you skateboard?" He said yes, and proceeded to go on about how cool he was, basically.

He asked if I did anything like that, and I said, "Yeah, I skydive a little..." And he started going on and on about how he's done "like, thirty jumps, or something..." and how a bunch of them were tandems, and he'd never really taken any training, but he's sat around at the dz long enough to "just sorta pick it up..." And then he told me about how he's "jumped off of this cliff in ***** a few times, with a parachute." I was like, "You mean BASE jumping?" And he said, "Yeah, right... it was cool, but you don't really get to fall for as long." Then he told me he'd made a skydive that lasted half an hour. Wish I'd asked him what altitude he jumped from... :D I was thinking, "Oh great, and this guy is poking a six-inch needle through my flesh... wonderful." :P

Now my question: why would you actually attempt to BS something like skydiving to a person who skydives? How could you expect to sound like you halfway know what you're talking about? Either this guy was an idiot for actually jumping and being that uninformed, or an idiot for trying to look cool while not knowing anything at all, or an idiot for doing that many drugs...

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

A half hour jump!!! That would kick ass!!!. Think of how many points you could turn

Some of the people with whom I jump pretend they can skydive, so the answer to that question would be about three points.;) But they'd probably say it was my fault, anyway.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Did you really let this dude pierce you? DOn't let him do anywhere else.....

Yup. But I was going to get four holes. I told him I changed my mind on the other two. I'm going somewhere else to get them done.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Sounds pretty silly to me. Dude was just probably trying to impress you. The right thing to do is to jus smile and start making random schtuff up and see if these fake skydivers go along with it...:ph34r:

I have noticed that jumps from high altitude usually go to shit. Anyone else ever notice that? Everyone relax's or is hypoxic. Lower altitude jumps where the pressure is on to get stuff done quicker are usually more succesful. Don't know why just something I noticed, maybe it's just me:P

The right thing to do is to jus smile and start making random schtuff up and see if these fake skydivers go along with it...

I considered asking him stuff about how he dealt with not being able to breathe, or making up words for gear or something, but I didn't...

"So, what kind of semi-triangular flexible ripcord casings did you use with your MNO? I prefer a seven-sided R-12, but most of the people I jump with use the traditional eleven, like a QZI or a Fine-n-Dandy..." :ph34r:

-Miranda

The right thing to do is to jus smile and start making random schtuff up and see if these fake skydivers go along with it...

I considered asking him stuff about how he dealt with not being able to breathe, or making up words for gear or something, but I didn't...

"So, what kind of semi-triangular flexible ripcord casings did you use with your MNO? I prefer a seven-sided R-12, but most of the people I jump with use the traditional eleven, like a QZI or a Fine-n-Dandy..." :ph34r:

How about you use some gear terms that are ambiguous, but are real skydiving gear terms?

My favorites:
- the "Jesus strap"
- hydraulic reefing

I have yet to meet a phony like that, but I've read / heard about others who have. I think if I ever did run into somebody like that, I'd just nod, smile, change the subject, and then get away from them as quickly as I could.

People who are in la-la land in this manner are mostly harmless (a bit of Walter Mitty thrown in with a lack of self-worth, IMHO), but it could be an indicator of other, more serious pathology. Better to play it safe.

There's no point in correcting them or pointing out that they are misinformed - you won't change somebody who has such a personal commitment to a delusion by telling them how wrong they are (on the other hand, they may just be making fun of you / pulling your leg by going to the other extreme; e.g., super-whuffo) - don't waste your breath, or your time.

Phonies like this are in other areas too. "Stolen Valor" comes to mind, and there are fraternal organizations of particular service veterans (like the Navy SEALs) who bust phonies that try to pass themselves off as the "real deal".

I don't think skydivers have anything like that degree of a problem, though. Most likely, the phony who is trying to play skygod is just trying to get laid or something. And it doesn't reflect badly on us if somebody does behave that way, whereas the image of the SEALS is diminished by phonies.

Just my humble opinion.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Yeah, I didn't correct him or say I didn't believe him; I'm just not going to let him stick any more holes in me. (Although he did a perfect job on the ones he did. It was a very clean business, it didn't hurt a bit, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the holes I did get.)

No harm done; I actually thought it was kind of amusing... ;)

-Miranda

Phonies like this are in other areas too. "Stolen Valor" comes to mind, and there are fraternal organizations of particular service veterans (like the Navy SEALs) who bust phonies that try to pass themselves off as the "real deal".

What's REALLY funny is when they try to pull that kind of crap at The Bombshelter in Perris -- surrounded by a platoon of SEALs.

The idiot even had a Trident tatoo on his leg. What a freekin' moron.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What's REALLY funny is when they try to pull that kind of crap at The Bombshelter in Perris -- surrounded by a platoon of SEALs.

The idiot even had a Trident tatoo on his leg. What a freekin' moron.

Ya know... considering that I've been through most of Thailand... I want to get some Thai prasing on my calf that reads "Stop looking at my calves" but to the honeys I can tell them shit like "love is beaautifool!" ;)

:D