mamajumps

When is someone truly a skydiver?

I believe the original spelled it "Dushe", not "Douche" - so is it prounounced:

Dooosh?
or
Doo-Shay?

I think we need to avoid the frenchsounding version unless on travel on in a smaller wind tunnel.

I think a skydiver is someone who's made it past the "just doing it for my ego or the rush" stage and now it's your sport. Some take a few jumps to clear that hurdle (or quit) others take a couple years or even longer. And you ususally can't tell most of the time. So the point is kinda moot (or "mute" as some say and I find amusing when they do). But then, if you find yourself standing there with your hand in a pile of Gooo and realize that's your best friend's face. It's China Town Baby.

where was I?

oh, yeah, stay outta my booze!

It doesn't hurt to know how to assemble your rig, pack and spot........:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was asked for my thoughts. I gave you the truth about how I feel. I just did a poor job of explaining myself.

The sport of skydiving is so deep so fast moving so inclusive. During the winter months when I only pack 100 mains and 30 reserves get 20 jumps a month and a tunnel trip I feel so out of touch.

The point has been made that money or time keeps you from jumping like you want. I do understand how that works. My first three years in the sport were spent flying jumpers around. I only made about 150. I was at the DZ talking shop with the full timers 4days a week.

I should qualify what makes you a HPDB.
first thing is that it has nothing to do with numbers. If you aren't making a serious attempt to be a part of the sport and giving all you got, thats OK. If you try to represent yourself as a hardcore skydiver though when you make only a few jumps a year and do this as only a hobbie... I think you know where you fall.

I still treat everyone like they are going to be the next full time skydiver until they go a couple years playing themselves up as a skydiver and not fallowing through

When it comes down to the bottom line it doesn't matter what I think anyway. If you can look at yourself and be happy then more power to ya.

sorry to all. I was asked. I should just keep my thoughts to myself, sometimes.

note to self: stay away from the internet when your home sick from work and so heavily medicated that you can't string two sentenses together.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Are we talking jobs or hobbies? Ive never had anyone come up to me and ask me what I do and me state, "Im a rockclimber, scuba diver (almost), skydiver, knitter, reader, writer, movie watcher. :|

Some people use hobbies to define themselves, some dont. Im with Tigra, this thread is funny. :D

Be careful- I see a trend. This is the 2nd or third time you've agreed with me about something! :P

So, Todd, assuming that Wissota is open during the weekdays in the summer and I make it up there, are you gonna help me get past this poser thing? Promise I won't hurt ya, ok? ;)

It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I think a skydiver is someone who's made it past the "just doing it for my ego . . ." stage . . .

Well then there are quite a few people with hundreds or thousands of jumps who you must not consider to be skydivers. :P

OK, how about this? If you've been in it long enough that you try to AVOID the topic with your non-skydiving friends instead of bringing it up (like every single one of us used to). It's just your sport, and it's annoying when they try to play it up or down as anything else.

I like that one too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think a skydiver is someone who's made it past the "just doing it for my ego . . ." stage . . .

Well then there are quite a few people with hundreds or thousands of jumps who you must not consider to be skydivers. :P

OK, how about this? If you've been in it long enough that you try to AVOID the topic with your non-skydiving friends instead of bringing it up (like every single one of us used to). It's just your sport, and it's annoying when they try to play it up or down as anything else.

I like that one too.

this is a great definition

IMHO, until you save your own life, your not a skydiver. Anyone can be a tandem passenger, and it kinda rubs me wrong when I hear of someone referred to as a skydiver when they have only been a tandem passenger. Skydiving to me is very personal and very important. Its a part of who I am, and its a place in life that I truly fit. So what is your opinion and why?

I think you should have won a bunch of national and world championship medals, set world records in RW, CReW and head down, fly the jump plane, and buy the beer. THEN you are a skydiver.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I still know people with hundreds or thousands of jumps who would not be a skydiver by this definition.

Trying to define a "true skydiver" is just silly, IMHO. Interestingly, and not surprisingly, everyone on here (including myself) has picked a definition that includes themselves while excluding others.

So can I call you Remi now that J thinks that's who you are? :P

Interestingly, and not surprisingly, everyone on here (including myself) has picked a definition that includes themselves while excluding others.

Well, this is a skydiving website so it is likely that everyone thinks they are skydivers.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

So can I call you Remi now that J thinks that's who you are?

Ooopps. I really owe someone an apology. I guess I lost more than just my sense of humor.

Don't worry, he won't care ... he's a skydiver.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Can I be a skydiver, too?

I'm a 6-jumps/month wonder in February!
:D:D
Oh wait...two of those were in March.

Pretty soon they're going to be raggin' me like they do J.

Billy, you're an instigator. Go choke on your popcorn.
:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Can I be a skydiver, too?

I'm a 6-jumps/month wonder in February!
Oh wait...two of those were in March.

Pretty soon they're going to be raggin' me like they do J.

Billy, you're an instigator. Go choke on your popcorn.
:P

Hey, isn't it what Shrek would do? Being an instigator? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

[replyOK, how about this? If you've been in it long enough that you try to AVOID the topic with your non-skydiving friends instead of bringing it up (like every single one of us used to). It's just your sport, and it's annoying when they try to play it up or down as anything else.

I like that one too.

Personally I stopped bringing it up because of all the polite faces of my friends who almostalmost completely managed to hide the thought "Oh no - not again!" whenever I was talking about jumping.

Occasionally though, one of actually *asks* about skydiving.
I suspect they treat it as a kind of punishment: Be good, or you'll have to talk to Dennis about skydiving...

Concerning strangers I agree with you though - I don't want to be bragging..much.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I guess the question tends to tick people off because it's no one else's place to decide whether they are "truly a skydiver" or not.

On the other hand, I don't much understand why people have such a difficult time with definitions.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

So can I call you Remi now that J thinks that's who you are?

Ooopps. I really owe someone an apology. I guess I lost more than just my sense of humor.

You can apologize to Remi if you want. But I suspect he'll take it pretty hard.

I'm just the guy that drives the wagon and mixes the tequila-based drinks

I guess the question tends to tick people off because it's no one else's place to decide whether they are "truly a skydiver" or not.

On the other hand, I don't much understand why people have such a difficult time with definitions.

Who is having a difficult time with definitions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is having a difficult time with definitions?

The people who get ticked off, silly.

There's a whole bunch of dictionaries full of terms & definitions. Often people work really hard to be a term that has a definition. If one doesn't want to be defined, best not to do anything at all.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.