mamajumps

When is someone truly a skydiver?

IMHO, until you save your own life, your not a skydiver. Anyone can be a tandem passenger, and it kinda rubs me wrong when I hear of someone referred to as a skydiver when they have only been a tandem passenger. Skydiving to me is very personal and very important. Its a part of who I am, and its a place in life that I truly fit. So what is your opinion and why?

I voted 'other'.
Am I a guy that skydives, or a skydiver does a bunch of other shit to entertain myself? Am i a biker because I ride a Harley, usually with others, or a guy that rides Harley's and does a bunch of other shit to entertain myself?
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I'll never be a skydiver, Skydiving is somthing i do, not what I am

You are so a skydiver - while you are in the act of skydiving (ie in freefall or under canopy). :P
Under Canopy it would be a Parachutist, in freefall, I'm very rarely DIVING:P:P:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am a student skydiver on hiatus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're the "sometimes y"--the one that is a vowel.

For some reason your point went right over my head.

Internally, I've always known I'd be a skydiver. I remember as a kid wanting to pursue it. However, I didn't afford my first Tandem until I was 27, and then actually FINALLY get to the AFF program until I turned 31. Money has been crazy, and its taken 9 months to complete 7 jumps, which I just recently finished.

I guess you might say I only recently became a skydiver, as my actions have finally met up with my ideal when I finished AFF.

Though, you might also say that I've always been a skydiver, as my heart has always been willing. But I know my nature rather well. Though externally, I guess only now that I'm actively pushing through training with the intention of jumping in the future would others call me a 'skydiver'. :P

I'm also a sailor... I just don't own a sailing vessel yet, or know how to sail. But circumnavigate the globe I will someday:) hehehe.

Internally, I've always known I'd be a skydiver
actions have finally met up with my ideal

Sounds good to me. I can remember telling someone when I was 15 that I'd wanted to skydive for awhile. When I was 20 I finally had the combination of money and time that was required (fortunately I was 20 long enough ago that it was a whole lot less money :ph34r:). When I took the class, I was offered the choice between a first jump certificate and a logbook.

I took the logbook. And yeah, to me that's a skydiver.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And I'm a PIRATE!!! (even though I live in the middle of the country... and my boat is not really "piratey".... and I don't much plunder or pillage....) B|:D:D:D

Show us some Pirate Booty:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When I took the class, I was offered the choice between a first jump certificate and a logbook.

I took the logbook. And yeah, to me that's a skydiver.

Wendy, when I was reading my old posts the other day I saw this same quote from you before. And it stuck out to me. :)
Edit: P.S. I would have taken the certificate and bought the logbook--or at least made one. ;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Hi mama,

I voted OTHER. I think each of us defines it uniquely.

For me it was at ~ 200 jumps & when I got my D license. At that point, all of the earlier anxiety had gone away. I usually slept about 1/2 the trip to altitude; ~ about 2500 feet before we would get to altitude, my inner clock would go off and I would start getting ready (get helmet on, check altimeters with others on the load, door going up ); sometimes ( often ) I would be the one spotting. It was just as if this was another thing to do, sort of like putting on my pants in the morning; just another normal thing to do.

I can really remember this time very well, it was if I had crossed a threshold and would never go back.

But that was just me,

JerryBaumchen

IMHO, until you save your own life, your not a skydiver. Anyone can be a tandem passenger, and it kinda rubs me wrong when I hear of someone referred to as a skydiver when they have only been a tandem passenger. Skydiving to me is very personal and very important. Its a part of who I am, and its a place in life that I truly fit. So what is your opinion and why?

From the time I was sitting on the ground when I landed on my tandem, I knew I wasn't done with skydiving. Before even getting to my feet I knew I was going to do it again. Within four hours, I was calling the DZ to find out about getting my license. With persistence and some great instructors, I have managed 7 more jumps this winter despite crappy weather. The whole focus of my life changed with that tandem. Am I a skydiver? I think so. I look at the sky and clouds now with a longing to be in the air that I never knew existed before.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

When you can walk to the door and decide all for yourself whether or not you're going to jump, fully aware of all the consequences and fully willing to take responsibility for all of your actions -- then, you are a skydiver.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

After they have:
a) jumped out of an airplane, and
b) partied with SkyMonkeyOne.

Anyone else who calls themselves a skydiver is really just a poser.

:P

*golfclap*
I think we have a winner. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You're not a skydiver until you dive out last to get your SCS and you take out the formation then buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you self induce line twists and buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you fart so bad on the airplane you think you just shit your pants and you buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you have a cutaway your wife packed for you and you buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you spot a load then land off in a prison and buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you setup for the swoop of your life to only misjudge and skip off the pond like a rock...then buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until your fatass goes through your buddy's canopy and into a wild wrap while you're doing CReW and then you buy beer.

You're not a skydiver until you nearly dropped a beer from 10k while doing a sunset clear and pull and then you buy beer.

So basically you're not a skydiver until you buy beer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

After they have:
a) jumped out of an airplane, and
b) partied with SkyMonkeyOne.

Anyone else who calls themselves a skydiver is really just a poser.

And a really good skydiver? That's one who can party with Chuck Blue and still make quality skydives the next day.

I'll never be a really good skydiver...

Get on the plane and the pilot calls door after a nice good morning fart and you wonder if you shit yourself.

Oh, I'vehad enough of THOSE mornings, even if sometime they are as early as the crack of noon.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'm not sure if I'd call myself a skydiver right now. To tell it like it is, I'm more of a former skydiver who has made a few jumps recently and is trying to get back into the sport.

There was a time when I definitely called myself a skydiver, though. I went through the static line progression originally. One of my jumpmasters had an opinion as to when I truly became a skydiver. On my first freefall, when we were on jump run, he said:

"This is it. Now you are really going to be a skydiver. Welcome!...DOOR!!!"

Despite his assurances, though, and despite the successful completion of my first freefall, I really didn't consider myself a skydiver then. The jump where I myself first thought of myself as a skydiver--remember, again, I went through the static line progression--was when I successfully completed my turns (Figure 8) for my A-license.

To me, that was very significant, because I was no longer just focusing on surviving the jump. If I could successfully complete something in freefall--eg the turns--which wasn't focused solely on saving my own ass and surviving the jump--to me that made me a skydiver. It meant I could begin to have a little fun in freefall and the whole jump didn't have to be preoccupied with merely surviving. To me, skydiving isn't about saving your life but about having fun.

I'm not sure where the equivalent place would be for someone going through the AFF progression. I think it probably varies for everyone as to when they see themselves as a skydiver. But doing those turns was what did it for me.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

There's another definition of when someone truly becomes a skydiver which has always been at the back of my mind. I must apologize because I have 87 jumps, and yet there are probably people with thousands of jumps who don't meet the requirement for being a "real skydiver" I am about to give. But I'll mention it anyways just to get people's reaction:

You aren't truly a skydiver until you make your first jump without an AAD.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014