mamajumps

When is someone truly a skydiver?

i say once you do your lvl 1 aff....anyone can do a tandem, but to depend mainly on yourself (you have to deal with a mal if it occurs) is completely different...you may have instructors with you for the freefall, but once you pull, your life is in your hands, and then you are a skydiver...

What about the static-liners amongst us. When are they skydivers.

I think your a skydiver by definition after you pull for yourself and are responsible for your own life.

On the other hand, I don't count you among the real "skydivers" unless you have your own gear and make 150ish or more a year. Much less then that and you are just a Huge Poser Dushe Bag.

I do count myself as an elitist and I understand that this is not for everyone. You asked for my thoughts on the subject .
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

On the other hand, I don't count you among the real "skydivers" unless you have your own gear and make 150ish or more a year. Much less then that and you are just a Huge Poser Dushe Bag.

I do count myself as an elitist and I understand that this is not for everyone. You asked for my thoughts on the subject .

So since i make about 150-200 jumps, does that make me a Normal sized Poser Douche Bag, if so the Club will need to be renamed the SNSDBC:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

At what jump number per year does one graduate to NON douche bag status:ph34r:edit to ask do NON working jumpers need less jumps per year given that Working Jumpers get paid to jump?
So say if you are a working Jumper you need to be making about say 600-900 jumps per year tor you are merely a a Gigantic Poser Duchebag Wanna be Skydiving Pro?

We need better defined guidelines L.O., write them up please so we all know where we stand
I'm happy being a Poser Douche Bag, I just need to know how much of a Poser Douche Bag to be, Help me out mate please:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So because my financial situation at the moment probably won't allow me to make 150+ jumps this year I'm a huge poser douche bag? So the fact that I'll be at the DZ every weekend packing to pay for the few jumps I will be able to afford doesn't count for anything?

So because my financial situation at the moment probably won't allow me to make 150+ jumps this year I'm a huge poser douche bag? So the fact that I'll be at the DZ every weekend packing to pay for the few jumps I will be able to afford doesn't count for anything?

NO >:( So STFU ya HUGE Poser Douche Bag>:(

:ph34r::ph34r::P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That would make me a mini then

You dont make 150 a year, See you're just trying to POSE even MORE, :ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My thoughts are that those elitist with attitudes need to realize that REAL "non poser douche bag" skydivers live on a REAL dropzone . . . not in Wisconsin. :P

I think your a skydiver by definition after you pull for yourself and are responsible for your own life.

Yes that was very elitist...
There have been some very good opinions shared here. I doubt if I will be able to do 150ish or more a year for quite awhile, so I guess I am joing the douche bag club and that is ok by me.... the reason why I can't right now is b/c I am raising 3 kids alone, working full time and going to school full time. While skydiving is an extremely important part of my life, those things are more important.
This thread did get blown a bit out of whack, all I was trying to say was the people that call themselves skydivers, b/c they have made one tandem b/c its something they want to do b4 they die chap my ass.... thats all. I have almost 5 years in the sport and am still sub 100 jumps and that is way ok with me. My kids have been the main reason I dont have numbers in the hundreds or thousands, and that too is way ok with me. My world revolves around my kids and when I can afford to hire a safe baby-sitter that I trust, you can bet you will find me at a DZ somewhere ;)

Well, Todd, this is one Huge poser Duche Bag bag that plans on coming to your DZ this year because he's heard so much good about the vibe, and lack of elitist attitudes. Many of those positive comments coming in the last few days from people around the country.

Well, we'll always have Fat Annie.

[:/]

I can understand that viewpoint from some skygods that make jumping their lives, but when it comes from an S&TA, well, I get a little wary.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Oh, but you stated here that ZHills is practically in your backyard. Therefore, you should have no trouble achieving Shotgun's definition of a "true" skydiver. >:(

I would strongly recommend a babysitter before attempting that. Preferably one that can stay with your kids an extra day or two if necessary.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...I think your a skydiver by definition after you pull for yourself and are responsible for your own life.

:D:D:D
They missed this part of your post and keyed on your use of "elitist".

I agree with you. I find it hard to put any number to it but in my mind there are a lot of "posers" hanging around like the groupies who made a jump or make 1-2 jumps per month and just hang around for the parties yet call themselves "skydivers".

Let's see...
I could go ride a Harley once and call myself a biker.

I could take the controls of my buddy's airplane for a few minutes of level flight and call myself a pilot.

I could float the ocean on a surfboard and let a wave push me around and call myself a surfer.

I could rent skis and call myself a skier if I survived the semi-controlled fall to the bottom of the training hill.

...ad infinitum

But Hey! Just do it! They all have really good parties! Well, maybe not the pilots...

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Oh come one, a "True Skydiver" would just leave her kids in the car with the window cracked a little bit while she jumped. :P Or just let the kids run amok in the hangar and let the douche bag posers look after them. :S

Did you read Shotgun's definition? That could easily turn into a lost weekend ... :S:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Oh, but you stated here that ZHills is practically in your backyard. Therefore, you should have no trouble achieving Shotgun's definition of a "true" skydiver. >:(

I would strongly recommend a babysitter before attempting that. Preferably one that can stay with your kids an extra day or two if necessary.

edited...

Yes I am 20 minutes from Zhills, and I have sorta partied with skymonkeyone (wasn't a bunch of people there) but he did find some whisky or alcohol of some sort so me and another (unnamed) dot commer could do body shots off each other, so I guess that constitues as partying right?;)

My daughter is getting old enough to go now and not be a nuisance, so if my boys are being properly cared for, I will be there.

Oh, no, no, no, don't let any of your children anywhere near Chuck Blue. They have t-shirts about what happens when you do that. ;)

My daughter is getting old enough to go now and not be a nuisance, so if my boys are being properly cared for, I will be there.

Oh, no, no, no, don't let any of your children anywhere near Chuck Blue. They have t-shirts about what happens when you do that. ;)

hmmm havent seen that shirt yet.... she's about old enough to learn how to pack anyway (and she can't wait to learn)... so maybe that will keep her safely away from Chuck!:D:D

I find it hard to put any number to it but in my mind there are a lot of "posers" hanging around like the groupies who made a jump or make 1-2 jumps per month and just hang around for the parties yet call themselves "skydivers".

et tu Brute?

This is sick. Sad and pathetic actually.
I personally don’t care what you call me. Poser Dushe bag?? Fine if that is what you need to do to make yourself feel special, Go for it.

Skydiving is something I do occasionally. It is an activity. To do this activity does not require someone to forsake all else in life as some would want people to believe.

What the hell is wrong with making 1 or 2 jumps a month as long as the person doing them is not getting on Jumps they shouldn’t be on?

I go to the DZ to relax and get away from the real world. Maybe make a jump or two, Hang out with some friends and have a few drinks at the end of the day. It is NOT about how many Jumps you made today for me, but about how many laughs did you share with friends.

Does this make me a Poser Dushe Bag? I am sure by most definitions, YES. But the people with those attitudes can Kiss my Lilly White Ass.

What the Fuck happened to this sport? What used to be a great group of friendly welcoming people has become a group of hypocritical pompous asses. If you aren’t making every possible load, You don’t belong here. If you don’t make skydiving the only thing in your life you don’t belong here.

I have every intention to right on doing exactly what I have been doing for the past several years. Goto the DZ most weekends and maybe make a Jump or two maybe more if I feel like it or not at all if I don’t. People that think this makes me somehow less COOL than they are can also kiss my Lilly White Ass.

The number of times that you jump out of a plane does not make any more or less of an asshole and has absolutely no bearing on how cool you are.

I'm amazed at how important this question appears to some people (I suppose because I'm not a skydiver ;)).

However, on a more philosophical note, it's interesting that a sport that isn't necessarily one's livelihood, can become *so* defining. I guess it says quite a bit not only about the passion skydiving can provoke, but the type of people it attracts.

Maybe its just my experiences that have given me such a dislike of labels...

Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I think we need to start handing out "Poser Douche Bag" numbers. Since I bought my house, I consider myself lucky if I can afford a few jumps a month. I still keep the trailer at the DZ and I still go and hang out when I can.

I wonder how long its been since the person who started this thread actually made a jump. I'm pretty sure she qualifies as a "Poser Douche Bag" herself! :P Its a pretty amusing thread actually!