RkyMtnHigh

Travis Pastrana - ThrillBillies

HE is getting a ton of advertising on this site.

Personally, i would rather buy a Jeb Corliss video and help support him in his mission to land the wingsuit... Dead or Alive, Either way it will be a huge day for skydiving.

Disclaimer: I hope he survives.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think Jeb would agree that this one is a new level of *sick*! You gotta give the kid credit for having massive balls to do this stuff.

No, you really don't. Not the way he's doing it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree.
This guy has 100 skydives and is doing some pretty impressive stuff. So impressive that i am waiting to read about his death. He does not have the experience to be doing the stuff he id doing and it will be his downfall pretty soon.

Most of us could do what he is doing..... For how long we could keep getting away with it without the right experience is a different story though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I agree.
This guy has 100 skydives and is doing some pretty impressive stuff. So impressive that i am waiting to read about his death. He does not have the experience to be doing the stuff he id doing and it will be his downfall pretty soon.

Most of us could do what he is doing..... For how long we could keep getting away with it without the right experience is a different story though.

He's a stunt-man not a yuppie.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I have always liked Travis Pastrana. My oldest son has a huge poster of him in his bedroom. I think it does take balls to even attempt what he does on a cycle. He has done many things on a cycle FIRST only to have other cyclists follow him.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I have always liked Travis Pastrana. My oldest son has a huge poster of him in his bedroom. I think it does take balls to even attempt what he does on a cycle. He has done many things on a cycle FIRST only to have other cyclists follow him.

Bobbi

In my opinion he (travis) is not much of a role model.. here is a pic from his web site of him shooting at fish from a boat, he litters the desert floor with motorcycle parts (oil, fuels) and destroys plant life to make himself look good for video sales. (note: I assume he littered the desert floor with fuels as I have no way to prove or disprove that act)
Joe

Edit to add pic!
www.greenboxphotography.com

Bobbi

In my opinion he (travis) is not much of a role model.. here is a pic from his web site of him shooting at fish from a boat, he litters the desert floor with motorcycle parts (oil, fuels) and destroys plant life to make himself look good for video sales. (note: I assume he littered the desert floor with fuels as I have no way to prove or disprove that act)
Joe

Edit to add pic!

What a winner!

Boys will be boys, what he does in his private time is just that, private.

There will always be skeletons in everyones closet. Role models aren't supposed to be prefect, they are supposed to be human.

Bobbi

True on that, but it's not private when you post your actions on your web site or make videos of it for profit. Agree that no one is perfect, but I think (once agin just my thoughts) he is reckless and has shown alot of disrespect and whats more sad about that is it's disrespect for his profit and to make himself look cool.
I will teach my children respect and shooting at fish is not respect.
www.greenboxphotography.com

Shooting at fish? come on bro!! U must be kidding if you are telling me that bothers you. at least they aren't hanging on a hook and a piece of rope for an hour. And as far as littering oil and fuel, I'm sure you have not deposited a single drop of fuel into the atmosphere in all of those 3000 skydives, have you? THE GUY RIDES BIKES FOR A FUCKING LIVING!!!!!!! That means he burns fuel too. Littering bike parts???? hahahaha. the places he riders are designated areas, and that means litter all the bike parts and destroy as many plants as you like. He has bigger balls than 98% of the people on this forum, and his ego is not any bigger than an average joe. So I say way to go Travis. you are the man

Shooting at fish is bad, but at least he wasn't bombing the hell out of them like Crocodile Dundee! :D

Besides, chances are he didn't hit the fish, at least not on the first shot.

Anybody see Mythbusters' episode on shooting into water? Good stuff!

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Bobbi

Joe

Edit to add pic!

What's wrong with shooting fish? It's been a few years since I've done it, but it wasn't illegal then, and certainly not wrong for any other reason. Bitches are hard to hit, as well.

Also, my understanding is that the GC bike/BASE jump was a permitted activity done with minimal fuel/oil, and that the bike and/or parts were collected aftewards.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I think Jeb would agree that this one is a new level of *sick*! You gotta give the kid credit for having massive balls to do this stuff.

No, you really don't. Not the way he's doing it.

Ok I'll bite....how should he be doing it to earn your credit?
Life is good

he is reckless and has shown alot of disrespect and whats more sad about that is it's disrespect for his profit and to make himself look cool.

Some how I get the distinct feeling he would be doing this whether he was on TV or not. Maybe he would have a few less toys if he didn’t have videos to sell, but I doubt his life would look much different.
Life is good

he is reckless and has shown alot of disrespect and whats more sad about that is it's disrespect for his profit and to make himself look cool.

Some how I get the distinct feeling he would be doing this whether he was on TV or not. Maybe he would have a few less toys if he didn’t have videos to sell, but I doubt his life would look much different.

If it was not going to dvd's and television he would not be base jumping bikes off the canyon and he would not be jumping out of planes without a rig.

I think he is brilliant on the bike and and excellent stuntman and has great courage.

The thing That people do not like is that he is doing all this skydiving stuff with less jumps than yourself and being really dissrespectful to the laws that we all follow.
If we in the skydiving community started jumping out of planes point break style, even just one person a weekend at each dropzone skydiving would be made illegal and there would not be dropzones. People think of that as disrespectful that we follow the laws to keep skydiving a legal sport while he comes in and breaks the laws to make a profit.

How would you feel if someone did this stunt at your dz and then the next weekend your dz was closed down because one person did something illegal?

We as skydivers do everything we can do to keep skydiving legal, when we do bandit jumps, low pull jumps, use base rigs for balloon jumps, illegal base jumping, snort coke and jump from planes.... We dont then go and show the public this. He is doing stuff that is pretty fucking cool but then showing the public and making money off it, meanwhile an FAA inspector may be right now following this thread in his research and collecting more information for his push to shut down that dropzone all because one person did this stunt.

Travis is doing some sick and cool stunts that are illegal (jumping with no rig) and then plastering it all over the late night talk shows, youtube, dvds etc. for the world to see and activists to get more info to close skydiving down with.

Meanwhile there are tons of other skydivers doing the same and even better and cooler skydiving stunts, base stunts, bandit jumps etc but not plastering it all over the tv and telling the world about it. They are also doing illegal stuff but they are not 'getting caught' or putting it on display to cause trouble for the rest of us and they are not profiting from it with the risk of the rest of us losing out on the sport we do.

Travis, hes the man, there are people on these boards that have done way cooler stuff than his stunts. They just dont tell everybody about it. They keep it in the community.

He can do what ever he wants with his bike stunts. People just dont like that he is now using our sport and doing stunts that are way above his experience level and disregarding all of the lessons we have collectivly learnt from our 'brothers' that have died to teach us lessons.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Meanwhile there are tons of other skydivers doing the same and even better and cooler skydiving stunts, base stunts...

I'm not weighing in on the whole Travis controversy, but I do think you're probably overstating it when you say there are "tons" of other skydivers doing the same or better stunts....

You could be right about him not base jumping with his motorcycle if he didn't have a dvd he was making, but it would not be because he didn't want to, it would be because he would lack the financial backing and permits to do so.
Your argument seems to be that he is disrespecting the sport of skydiving because he lacks the skill needed to "safely" do the jump without a rig, and it was illegal. The chuteless jump was not made in the USA, I don't recall where but I do not think they fall under USPA jurisdiction. So, if they don't, then the jump was not illegal. And if the jump was not illegal, then why stop him?
People do reckless stunts all the time in skydiving, look at Greg Gasson with his chuteless jump, or many others who have gone with no rig. What about swooping down long canyons filled with bolders, or entering aircraft while in freefall? There are lots of things that are super dangerous, and all over the internet and dvds.
So the real question is, if they were killed, would it look bad for the sport? I would say no. Not in the broad spectrum of it all. I think non jumpers can see that if someone dies trying to do a stunt, the risks were higher than an average skydive. Just like that old circus guy falling off of the high wire between the buildings to his death, or if evil knievel had died doing a stunt. Is the public going to banish motorcycles for him crashing into the side of a bus? I think not.