wisdom62

Decision on Used rig or buy New rig

I'm buying my first rig, I'm jumped about 25 times and sick of student rigs. I plan on jumping for a long time to come. So its time to buy my own rig.

I see at Para-Service.com has good prices, was looking at a Wings setup.

I also saw a Used Dolphin for sale in the Classifieds,
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=30753&d=1

and Used Wings For sale.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=31985&d=1

I'm 190lbs 6 ft, so i wasn't sure about the Wings since it has a 170 canopy.
But the Dolphin sounds like it would fit perfect plus it has all tuck flaps and AAD.

Should i buy Used or should I buy a New Wings from Para-Service.com ? Money isn't really a problem, But i also can't go throwing it around, and like to get a good deal.

thanks for the help.
Josh

Thanks for the help I've actually read that before, A while back. it was good to read it again.

Being 6'1 and 190lbs its a little harder to find newer used rigs for sale with 190 canopies. I've found a couple but then i didn't have the money.

I'm talking with Para-Service now about a rig, and if anything comes up on the used market i'll take a look.

thanks again.
blue skies.

Thanks for the help I've actually read that before, A while back. it was good to read it again.

Being 6'1 and 190lbs its a little harder to find newer used rigs for sale with 190 canopies. I've found a couple but then i didn't have the money.

I'm talking with Para-Service now about a rig, and if anything comes up on the used market i'll take a look.

thanks again.
blue skies.

my situation is really not all that different from yours... i have 38 jumps, i'm a big boy. i got into the sport, used rental gear for a dozen jumps, got tired of how poorly it fit. bought a used rig, it still wasn't the greatest but it was what I could afford. then i left the sport for a few years. now, knowing that this obsession is in my blood and is not going anywhere (my first jump was in feb '95), i bought a wonderful new rig from Para Service. It's a wings container, Fusion 210 and a Super Raven w/ a Vigil AAD. The price was just incredible, they weren't pressuring me into something I couldn't afford, and they helped me pick options, canopies and sizes consistent w/ my experience and desires.

Personally, I think you're doin the right thing talking to Roy and Lisa. They're great people and won't steer you wrong.

Tell them I said hi.

-michael dudek, nashville tn

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

At your experience level, a 210 or 220 would be a more suitably sized main and reserve.

If a container will not fit appropriately sized canopies, it is not a very good deal for you, no matter what the price.

It is often very difficult to find the right container used. It must have the proper harness sized to fit you, the proper main container size, to fit your main, and the proper reserve container size to fit your reserve. And that is before you even get to decide how you feel about the colors. It is not uncommon for newer jumpers to buy new containers due to inability to find anything used that is suitable for their needs.

If you do purchase new, some containers offer far better value for your money than others. PM me for more details.

Also, large ZP canopies are often difficult to find used. They hold their resale value very well due to the high demand in the secondary market. Most people find it is still much cheaper to buy new than to rent. It is small canopies that lose their resale value quickly, not large ones.

For Great Deals on Gear