pchapman

Vigil & Mirage - possible compatibility issue

A friend had a compatibility issue when using a Vigil AAD in a Mirage container.

The Vigil cutter (unlike the Cypres cutter) has a plastic sheath that, I am told, protects the loop where it passes through the cutter.

After having been installed for just one packing cycle, the Vigil cutter's sheath was found to be cracked and broken when the rig was opened for a repack. This was on a very small, tight rig.

The Vigil company is sending the jumper a free cutter, but didn't propose any long term solution. I presume they are looking at the issue.

The apparent cause:
On a Mirage rig (with the cutter moved due to the PSB1204 service bulletin), the cutter is pressed between the hard cap of the pilot chute, and the various hard flaps & grommets stacked above the cutter.

On many other rigs, the cutter is not squeezed between two hard surfaces (E.g, it might be between a flap and the soft deployment bag). I don't know to what degree the Mirage's optional new concave topped pilot chute might be an improvement.

I haven't seen the cutter yet, and don't know with what frequency this problem has happened.

The apparent cause:
On a Mirage rig (with the cutter moved due to the PSB1204 service bulletin), the cutter is pressed between the hard cap of the pilot chute, and the various hard flaps & grommets stacked above the cutter.

On many other rigs, the cutter is not squeezed between two hard surfaces (e.g, it might be between a flap and the soft deployment bag).

That plastic insert in the Vigil cutter demands more care on the part of riggers to ensure that the closing loop length is correct and that the cutter is adjusted to exactly the right position. On a Mirage like my G3/PD126, it is possible to get the grommets to line up so there is no pressure on the Vigil plastic cutter insert.

Damage may occur when a rigger uses a positive leverage device, crank, or other assist device to compress the Mirage #3 (bottom) flap. If you are not careful, you can compress the cutter against the temp pin holding the pilot chute in place; withdrawing the temp pin under pressure between the cutter and the pilot chute cap may be what damages the plastic.

A better design for the cutter would be more tolerant of rigger technique, but that's true of many rig design issues.

Mark