cocheese

Cash Cab

Ummm, If using a cell phone while driving is banned in some areas, then what about being a game show host while driving?:P

I predict someone we know from here will be on Cash Cab soon.. Peter, Aprilcat, Skymama?

Who would you call for your phone-a-friend?

I really dig this show. Having a little bit of reality show experience myself, I always wonder how much of this show is true randomness, or in actuality a scripted, totally planned show.

The van that he drives around has the same serial number (or whatever you want to call it) and it seems like it would be pretty well known around the city. Sure, there are taxi's everywhere, but there's gotta be a lot of people that know they are walking into the Cash Cab before they even open the door.

Nevertheless, I love the premise and don't see this show going anywhere for a while.

And how cool would it be to be on it!

Ohh, I would totally pick my grandmother as the person to call. She's a whiz - I've watched her shout out the answers to Jeopardy on more than one occasion.

I know someone who was approached in Central Park by someone with a clipboard... they were under the impression that they were going to be in a commercial or something and the person with a clipboard would get a cab for them and send then on their way to the shoot. When the cab pulls up it's the cash cab. The actual game happens just like on tv, but at the end of it, they don't necessarily give you the money. Sometimes they do, but more often then not, you receive a check in the mail a few weeks later.

I imagined that they probably didn't give them the 'cash' at the end of the show. You always see the disclaimers on game shows "Contestents must meet the requirements before getting the prize" type deals. In laymen's terms, if you can't pay the taxes, you walk away with nothing but your 15 minutes of fame.

Still an interesting concept and a pretty cool tv show, though.

I heard the same thing about people winning new cars and vacations and whatnot on The Price is Right, that before you could claim the prizes you had to be able to pay the taxes on it, and that since so many of the "good ol' boys and gals" we see on TPIR could never afford the taxes on their "IT'S A NEW CAR!" and "fabulous showcases" that lots of the prizes end up unclaimed.

Thank you Uncle Sam.

Elvisio "tweak him by that funny lookin' beard" Rodriguez

I imagined that they probably didn't give them the 'cash' at the end of the show. You always see the disclaimers on game shows "Contestents must meet the requirements before getting the prize" type deals. In laymen's terms, if you can't pay the taxes, you walk away with nothing but your 15 minutes of fame.

Still an interesting concept and a pretty cool tv show, though.

How could you NOT afford the taxes, since the taxes are a small %age of the winnings. if you win $1000 and it's 30% tax you get $700. where is the issue?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Let's say you won a new car. $30K for example. You're gonna get a 1099-misc for $30K worth of income. Also, you're gonna have to pay sales tax on the car wherever you title it. Sales tax at 6% would be $1800.00. So you'd probably have to provide some sort of proof that you're good for the $10,800.

I have no idea how they'd do that.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Ummm, If using a cell phone while driving is banned in some areas, then what about being a game show host while driving?:P

I predict someone we know from here will be on Cash Cab soon.. Peter, Aprilcat, Skymama?

Who would you call for your phone-a-friend?

TECHNICALLY since ben is not the one using the phone while driving it's not an issue.. a phone can be used so long as it's not the driver...

anyway i LOVE this show - ben bailey has great whit - i love the faces he makes into the camera while the people have no idea he's doing it - apparently he's a really great stand up comedian

i dunno but i think it would be pretty awesome to either make some cash on the cash cab show or at least get a free ride since cabbies are crazy with their rates
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Let's say you won a new car. $30K for example. You're gonna get a 1099-misc for $30K worth of income. Also, you're gonna have to pay sales tax on the car wherever you title it. Sales tax at 6% would be $1800.00. So you'd probably have to provide some sort of proof that you're good for the $10,800.

Just give it to me. I have a tax-exemption for my disability. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

no talking about gifts i was talking about CASH, as in CASH cab
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The few times I've watched that show, I keep thinking, "Isn't that dangerous???"

And I keep waiting for some unsuspecting group of people on acid (or other hallucinogenic drugs) to get in the cab and start freaking out when all of those lights come on. :ph34r: