WhoseNuts

IRAQ SAVINGS QUESTION-- ING Direct

Hey Guys

I am still here in iraq and i have a question for the older, wiser people in the group.

I have recently had an offer from a friend of mine to dump my savings into a bank called "ING Direct". I have read reviews about them, and tried to do research on them. My buddy says their legit, but i dont know. I figure since I am not spending the money and only saving it, i should just put it in a high interest account. I would like to know if anyone else has heard of this company and if their legit? Anything you can tell me would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Your Marine Skydiver in IRAQ
Kyle

They're totally legit. I've had an account with them for years.

ING is International Nederlanden Groep (International Netherlands Group). It's one of the world's largest banking groups. More information here.

There are similar high interest savings "direct" type programs at other big banks (I think Citi has one, I seem to remember another somewhere), so you might check around. Your buddy probably gets some incentive for referring you (a while back it was 50 bucks each for the referrer and the referree), and you may get a little extra for starting the account, too.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

OK, well i just wanted to make sure... I am not to concerned about MORE interest here, and in this bank... they all seem pretty the same to me. I have a LARGE sum of money going in there....
does anyone have any specific ideas? i dont really have a whole lot of time for research soo..... any ideas?

ING has one of the better high interest savings products. No fees, no minimums and high interest on every dollar you deposit.

They are completely legit (as mentioned before, one of the largest financial companies in the world). As a matter of fact, I would give them money over most investment and brokerage houses right now lol

Dun dun dun.....and the carrott is dangled....what is so much better for a basic "high" interest savings account?

How about a 1% interest rate compounded daily when you short the USD vs the Turkish Lira. And then just hold the trade open. Of course IQD seems to be moving pretty good as well
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

As many other people have said they are very legit. I have had checking, CD, and home equity accounts with them for 4 or 5 years. They have EXCELLENT customer service and absolutely bar none the best and easiest to use web-site in the industry. Their regular savings rate right now (3.1%) is actually a little higher than some of their CD's:

6 Month 3.00%
03/14/08

Open Now
9 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
12 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
18 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
24 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
30 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
36 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
48 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
60 Month 3.25%
03/14/08

As many other people have said they are very legit. I have had checking, CD, and home equity accounts with them for 4 or 5 years. They have EXCELLENT customer service and absolutely bar none the best and easiest to use web-site in the industry. Their regular savings rate right now (3.1%) is actually a little higher than some of their CD's:

Although places like Countrywide pay 33% more interest (4.05% APY) which becomes significant if you've got earnings you can't spend or sold a house and are just sitting on the proceeds.

If you don't like Countrywide (I decided I didn't like having them in charge of the money which was a home) and don't need to be that liquid, credit unions (who are not for profit) have some good deals on CDs.

My credit union is offering 3.25%, 3.50%, 3.75%, 4.00%, 4.10%, and 4.20% on 6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 60 month CDs. The 36-60 month CDs allow you to increase the interest rate to whatever is currently available once over their term.

They also have no sub-prime or even Alt-A loan exposure.

If you may need the money somewhat sooner, you may still do well with a CD at an institution that offers deposit secured loans - just take out a loan secured loan.

With dropping interest rates, the spread between what I got my CDs at in January and deposit secured loans is about 1.2%. I can take a loan against a 3-year CD after two years and still net 4.3%.

6 Month 3.00%
03/14/08

Open Now
9 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
12 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now
18 Month 2.75%
03/14/08

Open Now