mostwanted

pack-volume: ZP vs. F-111 & 9 cells vs. 7 cells

i read that ZP-canopies need more volume than F-111-canopies when packed...

how significant is the difference?

i also read that 9-cell-canopies need more volume than 7-cell-canopies when packed...

how significant is the difference?

example 1:
220 9-cell-ZP-canopy vs. 220 7-cell-F-111-canopy

example 2:
235 9-cell-ZP-canopy vs. 218 7-cell-F-111-canopy
(= zp.exe vs. super raven)

well, i had one of those really big student rigs during my AFF (235 ZP.EXE - 9-cell-zp-canopy) - would i also need such a big container if i would buy me a 7-cell-F-111-canopy? (e.g. super raven as my main-canopy)

how significant would the difference between my AFF-student-rig and the requiered container for the 218 super raven be?

i am looking forward to your replies. thank you for your helping efforts!

Its a case by case basis, but ZP "feels" like it packs larger than F-111 because it is alot harder to get all of the air out. The actual pack volume is marginal.

9 cells pack about 1 size larger than 7 sells, due to 9 cells having more fabric in the ribs. If you had a container made that fits a ~170 9 Cell snug, you could probably get a ~190 7 cell in there. Your best bet is to check the actual pack volume with the manufacturer though.

Para-Gear's catalog has a good reference in the back, but its not the be all end all list of volumes.

thanks all for your help. (that chart is great!)

posted to add:
the zp.exe 235 has a pack-volume of 570 cu.in. and weights 10 Lbs. - compared to a 218 Raven II with (211 sq.ft.,) 419 cu.in. 6,5 Lbs - compared to a 249 Raven III with (241 sq.ft.,) 515.

ZP.exe 235
570 cu.in.
10 Lbs

Raven II (218)
211 sq.ft.
419 cu.in.
6.5 Lbs

Raven III (249)
241 sq.ft.
515 cu.in.
(estimated 7.5 Lbs)

source: http://www.parachutesystems.co.za/

First off: only trust volume numbers published by container manufaturers.
Hint: the PIA Volume Chart is compiled from tests done by Sandy Reid, a major container manufacturer.

Secondly, new ZP packs up maybe 20% larger than F-111.
Old ZP packs about the same size as F-111, because it is easier to squeeze the air out.

Finally, 9-cells tend to pack about 10% larger than 7-cells because of the extra lines and ribs.

Where can I find the latest version of the PIA volume chart? The one I have is six years old...

(edit to add:) Also, while reading the chart I noticed that all elliptical canopies have N/A in the "PIA size" column. Obviously the PIA standard for measuring the size doesn't work for ellipticals. Is there a standard for measuring the area of elliptical canopies?