MikeForsythe

This is how you drive the price of gas down!

First of all BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I've seen this 50 times... It never works... But hey, I do my part by never buying gas from Exxon. Not since the Exxon Valdez disaster.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've been in the parade for years. I do not knowingly buy from those two.

I'm starting the 30 PMs as we speak...

HH: j/k, dude. j/k
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First of all BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

That's right. Ride your bicycle to work. If you live too far away, move. Move from a house to a studio apartment if that's what it takes to be within both city limits and your budget.

Once enough people do that gas will be dirt cheap. McMansions in the suburbs will be cheap and deteriorate into the new slums. City living will be even pricier.

OTOH, once you do that reducing gas prices won't matter much to you.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

Unless the demand is higher for their Little Guy Gas(TM) in which case they can keep their prices the same or increase them.

Which brings us to problem 2:

Other companies will only reduce their prices if they are losing money from customers purchasing from Exxon and Mobil at lower prices.

If people aren't switching back to Exxon and Mobil, there is no incentive for everyone else to reduce their prices to match the prices of those two companies' gas.

If people do switch back to Exxon and Mobil due to a price reduction, which is probable if the price differential is even as low as 3 percent, Exxon and Mobil no longer have any incentive to further reduce their prices, and the prices will reach an equilibrium at a price only slightly less than their current level.

Since consumer demand is inelastic in the short term (which effectively puts sellers in control of the prices), the gas companies will then re-raise their prices soon after by enough to earn back their profits lost during the very short boycott. Then, maybe, the price will settle back down to current levels.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I just heard on the news this morning that crude oil went down $8 a barrel in the last couple of days and for the first time in over a decade the amount of gasoline used by American consumers had a drop of 1%. Seems there may be a direct relationship there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just opinion, but I don't think so. I also don't think that the commodity pros are driving the price, it's the amatuer investors trying for the easy money. That was one of the major causes of the 1929 crash-wasn't it, popsjumper?
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Gang, the cost of oil, and all commodities going up is directly related to the weakening dollar. You can avoid Exxon all you want, it won't affect the commodity.

Unfortunately, the lower interest rate, along with the treasury pumping $200B into the banking system will not help the situation.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I just heard on the news this morning that crude oil went down $8 a barrel in the last couple of days and for the first time in over a decade the amount of gasoline used by American consumers had a drop of 1%. Seems there may be a direct relationship there.

Um yea....when you overinflate something 1tenfold its easy to drop 1% than it makes the masses think they're getting a discount.

Have you seen the oil profits in the last few years?
It looks like a stair case.
My photos

My Videos

I saw the oil profits. I'm just pissed off that I didn't buy more shares a couple of years ago when I could have.

In situations like this you can either try to win or let yourself lose. Buy oil stock, conserve by not using the inflated product, and voila! The pain goes away.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And what about when oil was at it's record high yet gas was less per gallon than last summer. Why when oil was $80 a barrel was gas $3.50 a gallon last year. Then oil goes to $100 a barrel and gas is at $2.90 a gallon.

Because it is all a friggen sham!!!! The price goes up when everyone is using it. Not because they are trying to curb use, they are trying to make the most money they can. Price per barrel does have an impact on price, but somehow it's missed by the masses that we are getting raped at the pump and there is not a dang thing we can do about it.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I'm suprised no one linked this yet- so here ya go.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Boycotting certain gas companies will not drive down the price of gas. Sorry.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Probably because we all know that already.

Wanna drop gas prices?

-Get your fat ass out of the car and walk to the local stores.

-Catch a ride into work with someone.

-USe your logic when you are running errands. Map your trip and don't waste gas.

-Don't speed, you use more gas that way.

-or simply stay home
My photos

My Videos

I buy my gas at the local grocery store and have been for the last few years. Unfortunately, the gas prices are still going up, and will likely to continue. Thankfully, I drive a car that gets decent gas mileage (28-35 mpg) so I don't fuel up often.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself