simplyputsi

What could cause cable tv to be disrupted?

I mean what could be done to the cable before it gets to the cable box or tv that would disrupt the signal enough that you could not watch tv?

Would a strong magnetic source do the trick? Or do you have to have something physically invade the wire, like a tap or something.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You name it - corroded connector, water intrusion into the cable or some other penetrating damage are the most likely.

water intrustion would disrupt? I guess it makes sense, but wouldn't there have to be a lot of water to do that. And would the water eventually dry out and everything be fine?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

2 years ago lightning ran in on my line and fried the connection.

Last year my rottweiler chewed almost all the way through it (outside the house).....it surprised me that he wasn't electrocuted. How many amps/wattage run through a cable ?

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Last year my rottweiler chewed almost all the way through it (outside the house).....it surprised me that he wasn't electrocuted. How many amps/wattage run through a cable ?

Don

Not that much, would not kill a dog.

Edited to add: I am refering to cable tv cabling. RG6 cable.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I can't tell from your post. Do you have cable problems, or do you want to cause cable problems?

Does it matter? :):)
The most effective way to disrupt a cable signal is to cut the cable entering the domicile.

of course it's also pretty obvious... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Ok looking for non obvious, not permanent, and well something done with ease.

I mean can't I put something around part of the cable that disrupts the signal, or is the shielding too much? I read that a magnetic field could do it, but in my experience this is not so.

maybe I just have to borrow a rat for a few days.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

but wouldn't there have to be a lot of water to do that. And would the water eventually dry out and everything be fine?

No, because there can be a little water in some place, and a small break in the cable can let the water in.

An no on the second account as the places where there is water are uasually protected. There exists toning equiptment that can be plugged in to tell how far down the leak is. It's expensive stuff, it's the sort of thing the cable guy might have.

Don

The same amount of amps/watts you will find across the leads of a $10 rabbit-ears antenna; The cable transports a signal, not power.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A few years ago I turned on the TV to find the picture quality gone to shit. I checked everything inside the house. Nothing wrong. Went outside to where the cable connections enter the house (near ground level), and found the main cable all chewed up at the splitter. Fucking animals, whatever they were... Luckily there was extra cable so I cut the damaged portion off and re-capped the connections. TV picture was fine after that. No problems since. But a project in the future will have me re-routing that cable line from outside up through the attic to a new location for the splitter there instead...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just take a small sewing needle or pin and poke it through the center of the cable and out the other side. If it touches both the inner conductor and the outer shield braid, it will short circuit the cable and no CATV. As long as the needle touches both the shield and the center conductor, you're ok. Pull the needle out and it's working again. No permanent damage other than a couple tiny holes where water might enter the cable over time.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Just take a small sewing needle or pin and poke it through the center of the cable and out the other side. If it touches both the inner conductor and the outer shield braid, it will short circuit the cable and no CATV. As long as the needle touches both the shield and the center conductor, you're ok. Pull the needle out and it's working again. No permanent damage other than a couple tiny holes where water might enter the cable over time.

this is the kind of answer I'm looking for. I did read somewhere, again, that if even one of the insulating threads touched the center the signal would not work.
How to make that happen though?

any other ideas appreciated.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

The coaxial cable has a center conductor of solid copper surrounded by a plastic insulating layer. The insulating layer is surrounded by a layer of braided very thin copper wire ("threads"?). Around that is the black insulation. If a pin were poked all the way through the wire it would be very likely to touch both conductors. One should be able to feel the needle hit and then sort of "deflect" around the center conductor as it is poked through. As long as the needle touches both the inner and outer copper, it'll short it out.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

My response is simply rodents...Your questionable house keeping habits have led to an infestation. My advice befriend the rodents, hope that they aren't spiteful, build them a small couch and let them watch TV with you. Just a thought, Who knows I could be totally off base.

Yeah thats right...I didn't fall completely off the face of the planet. How you been buddy?
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Get a knife, make a little slit in the cable at a point where it is not close to the connections and then put a piece of tin foil inside the cable.

What is the intended purpose of the tin foil?

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Drunks meeting poles on the road? Well, actually, off the road, eh?

Screw it all. Break into the house and steal the TV.
I might need a big screen LCD or something like that...who knows?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First, I want a star and a smiley face for figuring out that you wanted to screw with someone. Second, who and why?

* :)
:)

In case you're not aware, actions such as you're suggesting are considered 'passive/aggressive', and are indicative of a personalty flaw.

Leave this kind of action to the people who are too cowardly to approach the issue face to face.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"