shropshire

The best car chase in film history is ....

The Blues Brothers.:P

:D:D:D:D:D2nd best

I'm not sure if the Blues Brothers have the best, but they had all the funniest chase scenes.

(VROOOOM....)
"I don't believe if it's that shit black car again"
(CRASH)
"Boy, are you in big trouble"

The chase through the mall was outstanding. And yes, they really messed up a real mall.

The climatic chase through Chicago under the elevated railways at 100+ mph was fun!

The drive off the end of the unfinished bridge by the neo-nazis was classic! "I've always loved you". :D

I almost shed a tear when the Blues Brothers' car fell apart at the end of the chase. :$:D

Oh and how about that RV going into the water, "don't you say a fucking word!"

Good times, man, good times! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I enjoyed Vanishing Point. (I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger with the 383mag.) The race scenes in VP seemed a little too contrived and safe.

I had 10 1/2 inch tires and air shocks to beef up the suspension, but it will still break loose if you kicked it down at 50mph. The tires would light, the back end pushed out, and when it caught, the body would torque over and pin you back to the seat. That didn't happen in VP.

In Bullit, when Steve McQueen missed a corner, he slammed it into reverse, the tires lit, and the tires got some wheel-hop while backing up. That is how it really happens.

Also, in one scene, he loses it and he slides sideways for a while and a little backwards. The first time that you slide 60ft sideways, it puckers you. I had a friend die when a Challenger convertible rolled (440 6-pack).

VP was fun, but Bullit seemed like real drivers doing it right.
:)

Gah, not a real film buff among you - it's Bullitt!

But it was the best. The raw '60s filming style and the streets of San Fransisco (with real traffic on them) - unbeatable combination.

I stand corrected:$

It's the best because the cars were evenly matched.

Found It... The best 10:36 you will ever spend

Ronin

Evenly matched!?!?!? LOL!!!!! The prop master jacked up that Mustang, changed rear gears, stiffened the suspension, better shocks, added bigger sway bars, tires & wheels, then added headers, intake, carb, & cam to the engine. During the initial runs chasing the BONE STOCK Chargers the Mustang couldn't keep up, so they swapped SMALLER tires on the Chargers in an attempt to slow them down. It didn't work. During filming, the 2nd unit director was yelling at the Charger driver to SLOW DOWN because it kept walking away from that poor Ford!

BTW, despite the popular urban legend, the guy on the motorcycle that lays it down in the dirt wasn't someone that ran the road block.

I think one of the reasons Bullitt turned out so well, in spite of the fact that they showed the same scenes multiple times from different angles & the Charger lost something like 14 hub caps, was the fact that most of the chase was filmed at real speed (though they did under-crank the film in a few parts). Another was the tight "point of view" cameras inside the cars. Watching it at the drive-in, in the early 70's, wrenching on my steering wheel during the chase, convinced my girl friend at the time I was crazy! :)

Yea, Blues Brothers is another favorite. What a quotable movie that was!

"It's 107 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark & we're wearing sun glasses."

"Hit it!!"

Thank you noble sir.....long live the true champion and legend, king of the road, the 1960's Mopar Line.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm not sure if the Blues Brothers have the best, but they had all the funniest chase scenes.

(VROOOOM....)
"I don't believe it it's that shit blackBOX DODGE car again"
(CRASH)
"Boys, are you're in big trouble"

:D

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Bullet.... Never bettered, never will be.

So that was a short thread:)

Have you seen Death Proof or Ronin?;)

Yes, Ronin.... I posted the Ronin chase video (above). It didn't push the standard IMHO

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Early morning, little to no traffic. Too easy. :P

Try this then.:S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWiXq5p2ny0&feature=related

Now THAT's a helluva run! B| You kind of wonder how many of those vehicle drivers he passed said to themselves "that fucking idiot is gonna die" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That fucker was so lucky.

When he was lane splitting (driving inbetween the lanes) he kept weaving in and out of holes in traffic. Anyone who lane splits knows that a hole in traffic is a bad thing, because it allows cars to change lanes and cross your path. You're way better off when the cars are packed in there, and they have no place to go.

That fucker was so lucky.

Actually, that fucker is dead. Killed trying to break his own record on the same road.

Well then he proved all those motorists' sentiments correct... :S

In Bullit, when Steve McQueen missed a corner, he slammed it into reverse, the tires lit, and the tires got some wheel-hop while backing up. That is how it really happens.

VP was fun, but Bullit seemed like real drivers doing it right.
:)

Yes, McQueen did do the stunt driving up to & including that missed turn. He admitted it was a stupid mistake & the wheel-hop was a result of his anger at himself for missing the turn. He also admitted that after that, he let the real stunt drivers take over most of the rest of the chase scenes (at least those that were not under-cranked).

As for doing chase scenes on public roads without permission, someone mentioned the James Bond film with the spiral bridge jump (forgive me, I forget the name of the film) with the Rambler. Same film, they also had a chase scene through the streets of Bangcock. MOST of that chase was filmed without permission during a normal weekday.

The story goes: The director & producers tried for quite a while to get police sanction for that chase but as the filming schedule there was coming to a close & police cooperation was still non-existent, they filmed it anyway! The production crew just followed behind the chase & paid off anyone & everyone that happened to get involved. Said it was faster, easier, & cheaper than paying off those that could make it "official."

-JP-

Thank you! Attached is how one should break-in their newly rebuilt Mopar! Everything in that car was rebuilt-replaced except the window regulators! It had well under 100 miles on it when the pic was taken, & one week later I put over 600 miles on it in 2 days, driving to/from Carlisle, Pa for the Mopar weekend.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My favorite car chase scene was in Ronin until I saw Death Proof...

I've never seen Bullit, Vanishing Point, or French Connection... B| guess I have some movie watching to do.

Though I can't call it the greatest, Death Proof's stuff really rocked!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

You know, after all these posts, I'm surprised nobody bothered to mention Smokey and the Bandit. They had some good fun chases, didn't they? :)

(VROOOOM....)
"I don't believe if it's that shit black car again"
(CRASH)
"Boy, are you in big trouble"

The chase through the mall was outstanding. And yes, they really messed up a real mall.

The climatic chase through Chicago under the elevated railways at 100+ mph was fun!

The drive off the end of the unfinished bridge by the neo-nazis was classic! "I've always loved you". :D

I almost shed a tear when the Blues Brothers' car fell apart at the end of the chase. :$:D

Oh and how about that RV going into the water, "don't you say a fucking word!"

Good times, man, good times! :D

Not only the best for all the reasons given, but I drive past the trashed "Dixie Square Mall" every day on my way to work.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You know, after all these posts, I'm surprised nobody bothered to mention Smokey and the Bandit. They had some good fun chases, didn't they? :)

Step away from my thread.>:(

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome