Twoply

Help! Cleaning a coffee thermos

Who knows a good way to get that stuck-on coffee funk out of a stainless thermos?

I've used vinegar, boiling water, ice cubes and soap, but nothing is getting that coffee stain stuff off the inside skin. Its almost impossible to get a brush of any kind in there.

Who knows a good way to get that stuck-on coffee funk out of a stainless thermos?

I've used vinegar, boiling water, ice cubes and soap, but nothing is getting that coffee stain stuff off the inside skin. Its almost impossible to get a brush of any kind in there.

Get some espresso machine cleaner.. like this:
http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Espresso-Machine-Cleaner-c65p1834.html?utm_source=product_feeds&utm_medium=google_products

There are other similar products,
put the stuff in there, let it sit in there a while. rinse well. It seems to do the job on the stainless steel espresso machine parts.
It would be better if you can get a brush down there, but, you know, this is decent.

Haven't tried it with coffee, but with other similarly "baked on" stuff denture cleaner worked great. Fill with water, add a couple denture tablets and let them do their thing. Might take a couple treatments if it is really thick on there.
Killing threads since 2004.

Why would you want to get rid of dried on coffee funk? That's just the mark of a well seasoned coffee thermos, adding a richness of taste to all coffee added to it from this point on. ;) At least that's what I keep telling myself watching the inside of my blue coffee vat turning a deeper shade of brown every year B|

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Why would you want to get rid of dried on coffee funk? That's just the mark of a well seasoned coffee thermos, adding a richness of taste to all coffee added to it from this point on. ;) At least that's what I keep telling myself watching the inside of my blue coffee vat turning a deeper shade of brown every year B|

Mmm...sort of like aging fine whiskey in oaken barrels, eh?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I always used a product called "Dipit" available at K Mart. Just follow the directions.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"