Unstable

Hey College Kids - Pulled any all nighters lately?

Last semester I wrote a 12 page English paper in one night. That sucked.

I think I may need to pull another one soon. Business plan competition coming up soon. Me and a buddy joined onto a team of engineers that have no f*ing idea how to write a business plan so the 2 of us are basicly rewriting the whole thing in two weeks. It's going to suck.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

For example: in place of dx/dt a formula would simply have v.

Yeah, but that limits the entire class to constant velocity, acceleration, force... I just don't see how anyone can understand the concept when that's all they're exposed to.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I was a naive freshman who trusted her advisor when he said "You'll like this one better than general physics". I obviously didn't learn since I took the second semester of it too. I've never been more thankful for a B!!

What is the difference between the two classes?

In Florida we have College Physics and University Physics, the primary difference being University Physics utilizes Calculus, while College Physics requires only and understanding of Algebra and Trigonometry. The material is pretty much the same from what I've heard, although I've only taken the University Physics sequence.

General physics is a 3 or 4 credit hour class with a prerequisite of trigonometry. It's algebra based physics and is the kind that most people outside of physics/engineering majors take. Engineering physics is a 5 credit hour class with a prerequisite of Calc II (you can also take it at the same time as Calc II). It's the calculus based physics that usually only people majoring in physics, engineering, and maybe chemistry take. Along with those like me who listen to their advisors.

No, I didn't punch my advisor, but I did change my major after a couple of years. Ended up with gobs of hours of physics, calculus, stats, etc. that didn't count for anything. :S

In my opinion, the lack of sleep harms you more than the extra time spent studying helps.

In college I was working furiously to get a piece of code written for a software assignment. Finally, about 3am I had it finished except for the commenting. Went to bed proud of my accomplishment.

Next morning I woke up and sat down at the terminal to do the commenting. Started looking at my code. WTF? Oh, shit! What the hell was I thinking???:S

Had to rewrite most of it. After that, I said screw it; I'm getting enough sleep so I can do my thinking with a clear head. Unless sex or money is involved, I'm in bed by midnight.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How is it possible to actually understand the mathematical background of physics without calculus?

Seriously.

For example: in place of dx/dt a formula would simply have v.

I suspect most of the people taking non-calculus physics are more interested in passing the class and checking off the block in their general science requirements than in understanding the mathematical background.

So, any of You college kids pulled one of these lately? On what?

Of course...2 nights ago was a 15 page paper on Martin Luther King Jr.......took me until 7AM.

Last night was a bar night...Next thing I know I was at a house party (its 5:30AM) and people were getting all worked up by sniffing only what I can assume is powder sugar.:S

Crazy ass university students...
SKYDIVING = HAPPY

Yeah, but that limits the entire class to constant velocity, acceleration, force... I just don't see how anyone can understand the concept when that's all they're exposed to.

I agree that Calculus makes it easier to understand. In either case, the classes are essentially survey classes. The concepts really aren't explored in depth until Mechanics, E&M, etc, when the formulas aren't given, but rather derived.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

General physics is a 3 or 4 credit hour class with a prerequisite of trigonometry. It's algebra based physics and is the kind that most people outside of physics/engineering majors take. Engineering physics is a 5 credit hour class with a prerequisite of Calc II (you can also take it at the same time as Calc II). It's the calculus based physics that usually only people majoring in physics, engineering, and maybe chemistry take. Along with those like me who listen to their advisors.

No, I didn't punch my advisor, but I did change my major after a couple of years. Ended up with gobs of hours of physics, calculus, stats, etc. that didn't count for anything. :S

That sounds a lot like our University Physics and College Physics in Florida. I've also changed my major since I took Univ. Physics 1-3, and my new major requires College Physics 1 (or 2), so I'll have to try to get a waiver of some sort so I can substitute one of my UP classes for the requirement.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Eng Phys one was brutal, but I made it through just fine - stumbling, but fine.

Eng Phys II isn't really taught FOR the student - that's pretty clear. It is usually taken by Students just as the enter the college of Engineering (or in my case, before you graduate because I've put it off) as a way to weed out those without the study skills to make it. I have taken very few courses, even graduate level courses, as tough as it. Not that the material is hard, per say, but more because they make it hard. Calculus Proofs on exams, brutal grading, about 3 hours of HW an evening, daily quizes, et cetera. It's just one of those courses that consumes you. I think every major has a course or a professor or two like that.

I was up til 6, crashed on the couch til 10, and now I'm in class. I have about 2 hours to review, we'll see how it goes.
=========Shaun ==========

That sounds a lot like our University Physics and College Physics in Florida. I've also changed my major since I took Univ. Physics 1-3, and my new major requires College Physics 1 (or 2), so I'll have to try to get a waiver of some sort so I can substitute one of my UP classes for the requirement.

That's exactly what happened to me. It was no problem for me to get the substitutions approved. They let me sub Engineering Physics for General Physics, Calc for Trig, and Java Programming for the class that teaches you how to use a mouse and create new folders in Windows.

I pulled one last week. The key is not starting in on the nergy drinks until later in the eve and eat snack food to avoid the high speed wobbles.;)

Good luck on your test!!!

Edit: Will your proff let you take in formulas? Besides F=ma

I found studying while making a formula sheet helps a bunch also reworking homework problems helps too. Physics rocks it truely is the foundation for the rest of the sciences. Physics with calc is a cake walk you primarly use cross and dot product which is more like complex algerbra.

Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

energy drinks are no good. they give you a great kick but then they also make you tired after about an hour.
best is to try not to drink coffee regularly, or anything with too much caffeine... so then when you really need the all nighter, a little bottle of coke will work like a charm and keep you up all night.

Edit: Will your proff let you take in formulas? Besides F=ma

When I took that class (same class and school as Unstable, but different professor and 8 years ago - I feel old now!!) we were given a page of formulas stapled to the back of the test. Unfortunately, the formulas weren't all that useful because you had to do a whole bunch of calc proofs to get to the point where you could use the formula.

I was in the same boat for my second class in Eng physics the proff said he would provide all the formulas that we needed on the test.

When test day came he gave every one in the class an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with F = ma printed on it in about 72 font. He thought it was funny and I felt like craming the paper up his ass.

Sure you can derive everything you need from that fundlemental formula (eventualy) although when faced with time contsrants and the stress of a tests proffs need to get realistic.

Java Programming for the class that teaches you how to use a mouse and create new folders in Windows.

LMAO!!! :D:D

No all nighters here. I'm trying to get stuff done ahead of time - like the 10 page paper due in a month that will be mostly done by Monday - and keep up on the reading so I don't have to cram for tests.

That sounded really mature and responsible, didn't it?

Java Programming for the class that teaches you how to use a mouse and create new folders in Windows.

No all nighters here. I'm trying to get stuff done ahead of time - like the 10 page paper due in a month that will be mostly done by Monday - and keep up on the reading so I don't have to cram for tests.

Teachers pet.;)

I usually start off the semester really enthusiastic and stay ahead or at least on schedule with things, but then somewhere about halfway through I start dragging along. Fortunately I'm all finished with classes and exams now. But it is time to start figuring out what I'm going to do for that dang dissertation...