DigitalDave

Loose chinstrap burn

Not sure if this is the proper place for this but I figured someone might learn from my mistake.

I have a bonehead gunner helmet with a plastic friction-type adapter on the chin strap. I never cut the excess 3 inches of strap webbing off once I fit it to me. Normally, it's stowed under the foam chin piece.

It came out in free fall today and slapped against my neck hard enough to draw blood.

Lesson learned .. don't let anything potentially flap around in free fall. Cut that shit off, or make damn sure it's stowed. That's gonna leave a mark.

Exactly the reason I don't wear the fashionable iPod like some do. But on the plus side, chicks dig scars.:|

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I got mine adjusted just right and then I took a needle and thread and tacked it.

The end result is that it is always the right size, never needs adjustment, and the end never has to be tucked in because its tacked.

I used thread that was a contrasting color to the black strap so that if I ever have to remove the tacking its easy to see.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Rich Brooks swears that during one of his jumps many years ago both his shoelaces came undone in freefall and entangled with each other... or was it Sparky flew up to him and tied his shoelaces together in freefall... anyway, I can't recall which he said it was really... old guy's stories change everytime you hear them. :S

Anyway, Rich, upon discovering his shoelaces were tied together after opening, he wasn't sure how he was going to run out the landing... until he remembered he had a hook-knife. :P

:D:D:D

Not sure if this is the proper place for this but I figured someone might learn from my mistake.

I have a bonehead gunner helmet with a plastic friction-type adapter on the chin strap. I never cut the excess 3 inches of strap webbing off once I fit it to me. Normally, it's stowed under the foam chin piece.

It came out in free fall today and slapped against my neck hard enough to draw blood.

Lesson learned .. don't let anything potentially flap around in free fall. Cut that shit off, or make damn sure it's stowed. That's gonna leave a mark.

I am chuckling to myself right now because I just did this myself last week, but not as bad. Not the first time I've done it either. Tunnels will get ya too with the helmets and loose suit parts. I got bruised up from a large suit in the tunnel so bad everybody thought my fiance was beating me up!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Rich Brooks swears that during one of his jumps many years ago both his shoelaces came undone in freefall and entangled with each other... or was it Sparky flew up to him and tied his shoelaces together in freefall... anyway, I can't recall which he said it was really... old guy's stories change everytime you hear them. :S

Anyway, Rich, upon discovering his shoelaces were tied together after opening, he wasn't sure how he was going to run out the landing... until he remembered he had a hook-knife. :P

:D:D:D

That's actually happened to me when i was learning to STAND in freefall, i didnt need a hook knife though, i just steered with one riser and undid the laces with my other hand:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

that is freaking funny

I've never seen anything quite like that! Ouch :) One guy's camera fell off his helmet during free fall. It landed about 100 feet from a crowd of spectators. Imagaine if that fell on somebody, or a moving car, or an airplane. . . scary!

The first time I went to the wind tunnel, which was prior to my 1st skydive, I was wearing a regular golf shirt under the jumpsuit. The shirt collar slipped out of the suit and gave my neck a nasty beating.

At least in the tunnel you can stop and fix the problem. Your ride sounds a little worse.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

That's a picture of my neck, after wearing a Guner 1/2 hour or so in the tunnel. Never had that trouble with it in the sky. I've only worn a Factory Diver (no chin strap) in the tunnel since then. I also fixed the Guner strap, but now only wear it in the sky.

We had a guy not buckle his white Pro-tek before a jump. We had a general idea where it should've come down but its never been seen again.

I did the same thing once. My first thought was, "I hope it doesn't kill anybody, the helmet has my name in it."

After the jump, I was at the display case, pricing another helmet when a friend walked in wearing the helmet I lost in freefall ! It had fallen in front of him under canopy and he followed it to the ground. The helmet and the Dytter inside both survived.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

We had a guy not buckle his white Pro-tek before a jump. We had a general idea where it should've come down but its never been seen again.

I did the same thing once. My first thought was, "I hope it doesn't kill anybody, the helmet has my name in it."

After the jump, I was at the display case, pricing another helmet when a friend walked in wearing the helmet I lost in freefall ! It had fallen in front of him under canopy and he followed it to the ground. The helmet and the Dytter inside both survived.

I hope he bought beer for his first helmet recovery.