Icon134

Exercising to lose weight?

For those that have ever tried to change your appearance... lose a few pounds, etc from a relatively stagnant state

How long did it take to notice a change? and did you feel like you gained weight before you lost weight?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It takes a while for one to notice it themselves. People around you will start to notice the change before you do

Also get someone to measure you. If you are weight trining. You may not lose weight, but you will lose inches around the middle and gain inches around the arms and legs
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

For me personally, it took a few months, then one day it was like "Daaayuum, where did that muscle come from?"

You notice the weight loss from some "diets" a lot more quickly but I don't think its nearly as gratifying as the increased muscle tone, strength and endurance you get from regular cardio and strength training.

I hope I don't make this too long. I have some experience with this.

You know I trained for a few years, rather heavily, to be able to participate in triathlons. I lost a bunch of weight my first year because I was not eating right. The second year I gained some muscle and was eating right so did not loose a lot of weight.

Deciding to not do triathlons this year, I decided I wanted to at least keep what I had worked so hard to achieve. So I went back to the gym and started lifting and doing cardio again. My goal this time was tone and loose weight. I lost a few pounds within the first month, by a few I mean 2-3. I was doing weights 3 times a week and cardio twice. I switched to cardio 3 times and weights twice, but at the same time decreased my calories by approximately 500-750 calories a day.

I've been on that for almost two months now, and have manged to loose maybe 5 lbs. But maybe i've gained some muscle during all this, so weight loss could be a moot point, or moo point according to Joey :D.

Anyway, the biggest difference I have noticed is that I do look different where I was hoping to, my midsection people, focus. My guess is I've lost about 1-2 inches from my waist as my pants now require me to notch my belt one more smaller and it's on the loose side.

I started my quest hmmm December I believe. I of course had those holiday meals in my way, and thus maybe contributed to my slow results around that time. However, what are we looking at 4 months later I'd say I lost somewhere around 5lbs of weight, mostly fat, and do notice a change in my appearance.

So it takes time man, time. And for me it involved cutting those calories out to start to loose weight. I spose I could have worked out more/longer to cut calories, but then I might as well be training for triathlons again.

ok it is long and i dunno if I even answered your question. but I think I did.B|

Skymama's #2 stalker -

.......or moo point according to Joey .

Thanks for that one! :)
And I agree with your post- its a long slow process but worth the effort!

I've been doing cardio and strength training since September (before that, months of mostly just cardio) but I haven't been that good about cutting calories. My weight has actually gone up since November but my clothes still fit just fine because I've gained muscle mass and my body fat % has gone down.

Icon134 gets a prize.

He seems to be the only skydiver on these forums who knows that "lose" is spelled with ONE FUCKING "O"!!

LMFAO! I usually just sit there and chuckle to myself every time someone talks about "loose"ing something. :D:D:P

Loosers. :ph34r:

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

what is funny is that i was like no way did I spell it wrong. So I went back and read mine and yup I did. I even used the word loose correctly, but I guess I think loose and lose are the same thing. Idiot!!!!

I'm not as think as you dumb I am.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Icon134 gets a prize.

He seems to be the only skydiver on these forums who knows that "lose" is spelled with ONE FUCKING "O"!!

:D:D:D Loose is what your pants are after losing weight... ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Icon134 gets a prize.

:D:D:D Loose is what your pants are after losing weight... ;)

Maybe people are just trying to pry those extra pounds loose from their bodies! :P

......or moo point according to Joey .

Thanks for that one! :)
A moo point?

Yeah, like.... a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter.

:D

I like it when people say it's a 'mute' point.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

what is funny is that i was like no way did I spell it wrong. So I went back and read mine and yup I did. I even used the word loose correctly, but I guess I think loose and lose are the same thing. Idiot!!!!

I'm not as think as you dumb I am.

At least you didn't go back and edit it like (I suspect) Broke did. :D:P

And yeah, a mute point, because you know, it's silent. :D

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

For me personally, it took a few months, then one day it was like "Daaayuum, where did that muscle come from?"

You notice the weight loss from some "diets" a lot more quickly but I don't think its nearly as gratifying as the increased muscle tone, strength and endurance you get from regular cardio and strength training.

Yeah. What she said. Felt like nothing was happening and then just woke up ten lbs. lighter and floating in my jeans, then every month or so the same thing happened again...:S

I turned 45 almost a month ago and basically have weighed the same since HS, (180-190) however, I have had some "shifting" of muscles as i like to say....

As spring broke last year 2007, I was not feeling to good and deciding a change was in order! I would diet myself into excercise and all would be good. I even went to a Dr. near the END of my diet to see that if I started a calanstetic regime, if I was "healthy" enuf to take it! Hell, I hadn't played frisbee or been on a softball team in 15years, and
p/u full contact no pads fball was long since gone, I wrestled 5 1/2 yrs in jr and sr high,(3x lettered) one year of track (I deplore running, frisbee and sftball are different), but put me in the weeds with nature, starve me for an extended wknd (3-4days) and I WAS "good to go" on day 5!

I have the best friend in the world and His name is Justin and he IS a personel trainer and he's turned me onto a few things over the years. One of these non fad applications was DIET/food combining.
My diet last year consisted of HIGH protein (non cooked) shakes from Ron Kosloff http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff.htm NO.... NO way am I a bodybuilder! lol! But the "IronGuru" and Ron knew/know their stuff!

Anywayzzz, the shakes and fruit and veggie diet small portions more often like every two hours and nothing but water 4hrs before bed, with 0.03% carb intake and maybe a 8ozs of GOOD/clean meat once aweek...

I shitcanned almost 26lbs of junk inside of 3mos!!! and haven't felt that good since my heyday when I was 26ish-32ish... Well I fell off the wagon just before turkeyday 07'!
RE~GAINED 11lbs at this present time and feeling almost like a failure...

Here comes the MOST important ingredient to losing weight.....

DISCIPLINE and WILLPOWER!!! Period!

I was so freaking amazed at what I had accomplised in that SHORT time span. My end goals were NOT met, but I KNOW that with the correct frame of mind, that the impossible IS possible!

My goals were to lose my ever increasing belly (because it HURT to do the things that I use to do), which would help me get back into some sort of physical activity, which would help me quit the cigarettes, which would save me some jump tix or new rig cash and I would mentally and physically BE and feel better....

So I have started uP again and THIS YEAR will be my year!!! Heres to grapefruit and pineapple!

oh and free ranging RAW EGGS!!! Never did them years before, but my hair is so much softer and shinyerrrr... lol Besides they dont have a taste!:P

best of the best to all of YOU who TRY!!!

peace and wellness
:DD

oh and the cost difference between good and bad foods, non issue! Except health!

Ok, So I haven't seen any of you in a while, BUT...In January I decided that enough is enough, I felt fat and out of shape and wanted to make a change. I looked around on the internet starting in December, and found Operation Bootcamp, honestly the best decision I ever made. I did it in January and March, took feb off so as not to get burned out. Anyway in 3 months I have lost about 30 pounds, taken about 4.5 inches off my waist and put on a bunch of muscle. It really is a lot about what you eat. If you work out and eat like shit, you aren't going to see very good results. The key is to keep that Metabolism kicked into high gear, and make your body work for you.

It builds on it self, the more lean muscle you build, the more calories you burn.

Simply did I miss anything?
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

I was running almost everyday without really any result. I just wanted to lose about 15 pounds. (I was 190, I wanted to be 175 - I'm 6'1") Anyways, I bought a roadbike and started biking everywhere. I noticed a difference in about one month. I dropped 5 lbs last months - GOOD START!
=========Shaun ==========

Ok, So I haven't seen any of you in a while, BUT...In January I decided that enough is enough, I felt fat and out of shape and wanted to make a change. I looked around on the internet starting in December, and found Operation Bootcamp, honestly the best decision I ever made. I did it in January and March, took feb off so as not to get burned out. Anyway in 3 months I have lost about 30 pounds, taken about 4.5 inches off my waist and put on a bunch of muscle. It really is a lot about what you eat. If you work out and eat like shit, you aren't going to see very good results. The key is to keep that Metabolism kicked into high gear, and make your body work for you.

It builds on it self, the more lean muscle you build, the more calories you burn.

Awesome Hammy!!! Good for you. And I don't see that you really missed anything. Muscle good, fat bad. Stick with it, and soon enough you can just maintain with little effort.

I was once told this and it makes the most sense ever. If you gain 2lbs a year for 10 years, which is a low estimate, in 10 years you will have 20 extra pounds. Now more typical is 5lbs a year, and that means you'll have 50lbs extra in 10 years. Maintenance is the key to stopping all this.
That isn't directed at you hammy, it's just a blanket statement.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Awesome Hammy!!! Good for you. And I don't see that you really missed anything. Muscle good, fat bad. Stick with it, and soon enough you can just maintain with little effort.

I was once told this and it makes the most sense ever. If you gain 2lbs a year for 10 years, which is a low estimate, in 10 years you will have 20 extra pounds. Now more typical is 5lbs a year, and that means you'll have 50lbs extra in 10 years. Maintenance is the key to stopping all this.
That isn't directed at you hammy, it's just a blanket statement.

It should be, but I think I have hit the point where I have to workout, and get jittery/ feel let down when i don't get to.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama