brianfry713

Weekend numbers 3/29-30/08

:)
21 tandems in Davis Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday. 1 speed star in Minden, NV on Saturday. A few flights in my Cessna 182 including circles above Yosemite Valley around the clouds. Two new brakes lines on my Mojo thanks to Pete Swan in Lodi. One more week before I go back to working in a cubicle.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

>:(:10:0

Great visit to Southern California, including 15 minutes in the tunnel with Mel (booyah!)... very productive session. 5 great jumps at Elsinore on Friday and Saturday, and 5 biggish ways at Perris on Sunday. :( to come home to the rain and dreariness in Seattle, though the weather's supposed to improve by the weekend - hoping I can get a few more jumps in on my repack before it expires.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

:) : :|

ICT was pretty much overcast 1200 to 1700 all damn weekend. Dallas was out too.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

B| 14 :D

some wing suiting, some really GREAT RW, and a buddies 12000th jump (17 way) plus my first official coach jump (referred from the lead AFFI) it was a great weekend
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

I finally got to jump my new Pilot!! It's awesome. I only did 1 jump cause it was damn cold, but it was a good one...and of course i got in another kisspass.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

0:2:0

Just two jumps. Probably the only jumps I was gonna make if I hadn't gotten hurt, since the weather rolled in soon after.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

0:3:0

Showed up at the dz and at the same time received a call from manifest asking me if I could come out and do some tandem videos.

Did 2 tandem vids to break in my new HC5 and 1 5-way star, plmost of a right hand dounut for Beth's (GF) 200th skydive. This friday, saturday and sunday I'm going to be retaking a coach course as my rating lapsed a couple of years ago now.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Oren was organizing 20-way this weekend.
We did 4 jumps.

I got to move around a little and play in some different slots.
B|

There was also a night-accuracy competition that I watched.

From Latzi's website:
pt 1
pt 2
pt 3

The round was our 3rd point.

Many people think that a round is an easy skydive.
I find them challenging.

A round does not have the cross supports of other formations and a wave can go through it easily.
On a 20-way, if each person is just 2 inches higher than the person on their right, it is a 3.5 ft difference by the time it gets back to the first person.

another fun and challenging jump

...and he centered me in the pic so well. B|

Awesome pics, looks like a great jump! Thanks for sharing! Hopefully I'll make it down there sometime soon and join you guys on some Oren 20-ways. B|

I agree, a round is challenging. We attempted a 10-way speed star last Saturday and the 2-way base was spinning b/c they didn't close it up. By the time it got to a 7ish way it was wavy as hell. Never closed the round, so it was more like a C shape of people with fall rate issues. :D

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

the 2-way base was spinning b/c they didn't close it up. By the time it got to a 7ish way it was wavy as hell. Never closed the round, so it was more like a C shape of people with fall rate issues.

Many times, the 2-way doesn't close up because it makes it easier to dock more people fast. They were spinning because of them. They need to figure that out.

* Fall rate *
To match fall rate, have two people, that are across from each other, set the fall rate. Then, the people on each side of them will just look across and match that person. Now, you have 3 on each side going the same speed. The other 4 can just dock and match it.

For 16-way, use the people at the 3,6,9, and 12 positions.

* Movement *
(This is going to sound obvious) The easiest way to find out where the wave is coming from is to look at the video and see who is moving.

You can spot two types of fall rate problems from video. One is going too fast, they will be very still and spread out and trying to get all the air they can.
The second type will give you all the movement problems. You will see a floaty person who cannot fall fast enough and their legs will be moving all over the place.

* Waves *
If it takes a hit from a dock, it will send a shock wave through the formation. Imagine that everyone is laying on floats in a pool and someone pushes down on one raft hard. A hard dock does the same thing.

People forget that grips on the formation are not to be used to save yourself. They are secondary.
You should be able to fly down and get in your slot and stay there, without grips. We do it for practice before big-ways (it is scary).

Imagine a 40-way line as an intertwined spiral.
You get the no structural support, but turbulent air from both sides and the front and back.
You just have to stay still and match the fall rate.
The pic is here Same rules apply for successfully building a round.

Many times, when wavy stuff starts, people start panicking and over-compensate and move too much.
That makes it worse.

Remember, if a round isn't closing, don't fly to the grip, fly to the center and the grips will come closer.

Skydiving is like a party. Dress appropriately, show up on time, and be polite when you get there. ;)

If a line is waving up and down or forward and backwards and you're trying to dock, keep yourself still and make the dock in the middle of the oscillation. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If a line is waving up and down or forward and backwards and you're trying to dock, keep yourself still and make the dock in the middle of the oscillation. ;)

We did an odd one that was a 40-way open accordion attempt. The pics look strange because it was two 20-way lines facing each other and flying no-contact.

We starting building it from the center. Right around the 20th person, the center would go low and it would fold over the middle.

This is an interesting pic. 60-way flown as 10 6-way lines.
line dancing You had to stay relative. Kind of stressful, in a way. Very challenging.