ChrisClark

Riggers - look at picture. Comments?

Hmmm, doesn't look like mine but can't really tell what's going on. Amd what's the narrow white tape at the top of the slider? Hmmm, as long as the nose was open and not wrapped probably not so bad.

Nope, can't really figure out exactly what was up looking at the picture.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't think I was very clear earlier, in the first photo all the lines are covered by the stabilizers. The stabilizers should be pulled away completely from all lines (see new picture), this stage is very vague in many manuals however the new Talon FS manual shows it very clear as does the Smart manual.
I asked Precision about this and George Galloway replied confirming this fact. The reason I have posted this is because of the number of pack jobs that I see with lines covered, I have probably been guilty myself of not knowing what to do with that last stabilizer.

Ah! Thanks for the second photo, that looks more like the way I do it and now that you mention it, and looking at the first a few more times, the first does look a bit "odd"... but frankly, without being able to discet it more in person, I really can't say its Black Death. Good on ya for noticing and thanks for sharing.

It seems we're talking about that last aft bit of stabilizer, between the D lines and the trailing edge. Where I jump, it is known as the "J", from its shape when students are taught to flake it when flat packing their mains. I don't know if anyone else uses the terminology.

It has always been logical to me to flake it to the outside like everything else.

Yes that is odd.

It looks like the last rigger transferred a main packing trick to reserve packing ... a bad idea if you do not understand the entire process.
The primary reason for wrapping main stabilizers around steering lines is to keep the main steering lines center rear while rolling the tail seam and bagging the main canopy.
By the time riggers learn how to pack reserves, we expect them to be neat enough that they do not need that trick to keep reserve steering lines center rear.
I never had this problem because I finish all my flaking and folding on reserve stabilizers before flaking the tail and confirming that steering lines are clear.
That pack job is unlikely to kill anyone, but it should be neater, with the steering lines above/behind/clear of the stabilizers