sharimcm

Need some help - cheap spy cams?

Let me set the stage... My ex was transferred to a job in Florida, and left his house in Texas mostly vacant (the furniture is still there). From time to time, I'd go to the house, take all the fliers off the door, make sure the grass was mowed, the A/C was set high (usually 80), etc. The house is always in pristine condition. Today was an exception.

I walked in to the house and there is a towel on the floor, a blanket and two drinking glasses by the couch, a bag of Kisses (which the ex doesn't eat chocolate), the TV remote in the middle of the floor, balled up towels in the master bath, garage entry door unlocked, A/C set at 73, Powerade container on the counter (he doesn't drink Powerade), an energy drink in the trash (he doesn't drink energy drinks either), and the closet door was open. I called my ex to ask when the last time he had been there... That was January... He said he left the house spotless. One strange thing was he mentioned that the last time his buddy checked the house (in late Feb), there was a Cup-a-Noodle container in the trash and a fork in the sink. Those had since been removed. To his knowledge, no one has been to the house except Greg (his buddy) and me.

Anyways, what he asked if I could do (with Greg's assistance) is get a spy cam (he'll pay for it) and set it up to see who is staying at the house (if anyone). Are there any cheap systems out there that will record or broadcast streaming video without being too noticeable to someone? Are they difficult to set up? It peaks my curiosity since I will be staying at the house in about a week for a few days, and I would prefer not to have an unexpected guest. I did ask the police department to do a 'courtesy patrol' of the neighborhood, and their answer was 'we don't do that anymore.' Ummm... OK... So, don't bother them unless you're getting murdered.

Any help is appreciated. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Judging from your post, I'd say the first thing you should do is

1. Call the police.

2. Change all the locks, and make sure the windows are secured (i.e. put a dowel in the window/patio door track) and garage door also.

3. Change any electronic access codes to your security system (if you have one)

As for cameras, I don't think that it would be a good idea, unless you get a nanny camera of some kind, just make sure it is in something that wouldn't get stolen.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Any sort of camera system that will also notify you so you can catch the guy or record an image so that you'll have proof is going to cost a bit of money.

HERE is a "cheap" one that will prove somebody was there, but that won't really catch the guy in the act and enable the cops to arrest him.

What I think you'd really want is something that both takes a picture and emails it to your phone, but that's going to require a spare computer to be installed on-site.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Claymores, some 2lb test line, plastic spoons, foil, and some of those wooden clothes pins. B|

Done properly the intruder will only make one more entrance but you will still have to clean up another mess.>:(

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I have to imagine that there's a technoweenie out there who knows how to hook up a camera with a motion detector and VCR.

Here's one I found for a PC and webcam.
http://www.deskshare.com/wcm.aspx
http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/27/how-to-use-your-pc-and-webcam-as-a-motion-detecting-and-recording-security-camera/
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Quade is right that probably the best way is to have a spare laptop stationed at the house for a while.
A laptop shouldn't be too hard to hide, including a cheap small webcam (I picked up a few for 6.99 at Fry's a while ago).
There is software available that turns the webcam(s) into a motion sensor. The software can be configured to start recording as soon as motion is detected, and then send pictures to your email address, store the video on an external server, etc.
I don't know if there is any good free software for Windows, but if you (or any of your friends) is a bit decent with Linux, a good and free tool would be Zoneminder.

Biggest "problem" here is whether or not you have a laptop you can station in the house for a while.

Lock all the doors? Just a thought.:)

or ask the current girlfriend/boyfriend for the door key back:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm looking for something to at least show a profile of the person 'staying' there. I'm also TRYING to locate the neighbor's phone number (I don't live close to the house at all) and see if they've seen anything. I called the police, and they're no help because "it isn't an emergency." All the doors and windows are locked and secure (I made sure of that)... The only thing I could figure out is that someone either knows the garage door opener code (which I am changing when I can find the instructions or I will take it down completely) or they have a spare key somehow. My ex is concerned, as he should be, but he's 1000 miles away. There's not much he can do at this point. I'm going to take the drive back up north tonight to see if there are any cars in the driveway or if any lights are on. I know when I left, nothing was on except the A/C, which was running at a comfortable temperature.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

if you have a key, then just unplug the juice to the garage door opener. That takes care of that problem.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

if you have a key, then just unplug the juice to the garage door opener. That takes care of that problem.

I went back last night, disconnected the garage door opener and locked it. I finally got the police to come investigate and they found one of the back windows unlocked (after I made fucking SURE they were all locked). They also found a pair of worn socks, and an empty bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 in the front yard that wasn't there when I was there earlier in the day. I'm getting the neighbor kid to mow the lawn and cut the hedges back before I stay there next week. I looked at nanny cams and those things are fuggin' expensive. B|

I don't know how to fix your problem, sorry! [:/] Sounds like the cheap webcam turned motion detector might be a good idea.

The thing that struck me the most (besides your life in danger when you stay there of course! :o) was 'Man...she is one heck of a cool ex!' :D:P

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

'Man...she is one heck of a cool ex!' :D:P

As I was talking to my ex last night he said, "Are you sitting down because I have to tell you something." As I sat down in fear of what he had to tell me (like he has herpes or something), he said, "You are extremely good. You have done me no wrong, taken care of me, and helped me out of many ditches. Thank you." I sat there in silence. I wasn't sure what to say... Him and I agreed we were better friends than lovers, and I left him. We meet up with each other when he's in town (unless his psycho girlfriend comes too), still call each other, etc. Hell, the man sent me $200 as a Christmas gift back in December. He's one cool ex!! :)
I wish all my ex's would send me $200 as a gift. :D