Rdutch

Home property value checker

I know there is tons of web sites that will tell you the value of you rproperty by address, I was just wondering what is the best one you have found/used, or know about. Most of the ones I looked at required you to sign up for, which means receiving tons of solicitation ect.
Thanks for the help.Blue SkiEs
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Aye caramba! I clicked up that link, typed in my address and there is a recent Microsoft Virtual Earth sat photo of my house..you can practically see into the windows! sheesh- no privacy in this world anymore.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

zillow is pretty good, but any home property value checker is not very accurate in this market. -- (especially in the Michigan market where I am!) If you are looking for a rough estimate, it should be alright, but don't expect it to be spot on. It could be from $10,000-$50,000 off.

Yeah, Zillow (IMO) way overvalues my house. It's nice to fantasize, but I knock the "Zestimate" down quite a bit when realistically estimating what I could get if I sold today. Actually, towards the lower end of their range is probably where I'd list my house if I listed it right now.

But I do like it for ready access to data and trends.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You should be able to do an internet record search in your county's property appraiser's office. (You can do your county, I just checked. ;)) You can find the value, assessed value, amount someone paid for a property, year it was built, what the sales have been in the neighborhood, etc. It comes in very handy, I use it for work all the time and am using it for properties that I am looking at. Keep in mind that most of the values are for last year and will most likely be assessed for a lower value this year. IIRC, that will be done in August.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

zillow is pretty good, but any home property value checker is not very accurate in this market. -- (especially in the Michigan market where I am!) If you are looking for a rough estimate, it should be alright, but don't expect it to be spot on. It could be from $10,000-$50,000 off.

Yeah, we just had our home appraised, and when I checked our address on Zillow, it was about $40K less than what the appraiser valued our home at. But, of course, the appraiser is taking into account the upgrades we've done to our home.

None of these are going to be as good as a professional appraisal. But of course you get what you pay for. :D

Skymama's suggestion of looking for the local taxing authority's assessments/appraisals would work well in some markets, not so well in others. In King County (where I live) the county's assessed values lagged way behind the market for years, though now they're a lot closer than they used to be. Great for keeping my tax bill more reasonable, but useless for figuring out how much the house is worth on the open market.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You should be able to do an internet record search in your county's property appraiser's office. (You can do your county, I just checked. ;)) You can find the value, assessed value, amount someone paid for a property, year it was built, what the sales have been in the neighborhood, etc. It comes in very handy, I use it for work all the time and am using it for properties that I am looking at. Keep in mind that most of the values are for last year and will most likely be assessed for a lower value this year. IIRC, that will be done in August.

yea I did that for the last few weeks when I was finding a home.
The good thing for the buyer is you can get an idea how much the seller owes on the house and use that in your favor.;)

...sucks if you're the seller.
according to Zillow they value the house $25,000 higher than my county public records value it.
I would be nice but I still got in about 10 or 15,000 less than its value. and we're expecting a huge surge of people here within the next year.B|
My photos

My Videos

No web site can accurately do that. Tax office will also be off (tax office says my old house is worth $126,000, appraisal done 6 months ago was $157,000, new appraisal will probably be higher as a neighboring house that is smaller than mine just sold for $170,000).

If you want to know the value, get an appraisal done. They run about $300.

For a decent idea, if you go to the Remax web site, you can type in the home address, and it will give you the selling prices of other homes that are close, along with date of sale.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

For the house I bought, it said it doesn't really exist and assessed the land as $59,000. Considering that the house really does exist (barn built in 1890, renovated into a house in 1977) and appraised at $196,000, I'm skeptical. So I typed in the addy for the house I'm selling.. the picture is recent since it shows the dumpster that has been in the driveway for a couple of weeks. Said it was worth $169,500. I wish!!!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I like Zillow.com - no need to sign up, and it has tax info, value trends, sale info, etc.

When I typed in my home address, it showed a map for a house that is a block away from where I actually live.

Therefore, I can't trust anything it says.

Strange.. I've used it a few times and never got that type of error.

John: what does it tell you when you zoom in on your actual house, and click on it? Does it display another address?
Remster

Yeah, Zillow (IMO) way overvalues my house. It's nice to fantasize, but I knock the "Zestimate" down quite a bit when realistically estimating what I could get if I sold today. Actually, towards the lower end of their range is probably where I'd list my house if I listed it right now.

But I do like it for ready access to data and trends.

Thanks for the link. The graphical interface to nearby recent home sales and selling price seems pretty handy.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I like Zillow.com - no need to sign up, and it has tax info, value trends, sale info, etc.

When I typed in my home address, it showed a map for a house that is a block away from where I actually live.

Therefore, I can't trust anything it says.

Strange.. I've used it a few times and never got that type of error.

John: what does it tell you when you zoom in on your actual house, and click on it? Does it display another address?

Nothing happens when I click on it.

Attached is a screen image. You can see from the address I entered at the top, that the house it outlines in red as the target, isn't even on the correct street.

The screen shot you provided also says it has no matching results. I'm not sure why the interface is choosing to highlight something when it has no results at all - that's bad interface design on Zillow's part, for sure.

As for your home address - that might have more to do with the mapping software Zillow uses than Zillow itself. My street address often ends up mapped wrong simply because of the way my street is. My street address is in the 2200 block, but there's no 23rd Avenue, only 22nd and 24th. So my house (which is only one house off of 24th Avenue) will often get mapped mid-block even though it's at the end of the block.

way overvalues my house. It's nice to fantasize, but I knock the "Zestimate" down quite a bit when realistically estimating what I could get if I sold today.

Damn, that was the most excitement I have had in a long time!! :ph34r::ph34r: In todays market I doubt I could get THAT much for it. I bought my house about 7 years ago so hopefully I can get enough out of it that I made a little profit! ;)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

I also bought 7 years ago and I know I'll make quite a bit of money (even the low end of the Zestimate is a large profit for me) but no way am going to make what they think my house is worth.

What K said...

John, looks like the mapping SW they use is off. I would assume theinfo for the property that it assigns to that address is what the history for that address is, ie, the map is fubraed, but the data is accurate (not precise, but accurate).

Again, its not a perfect tool, but I think it can give some valuable info.
Remster