DHolland

Damn This Sport Is Expensive!

I just bought my first rig and my god, expenses are adding up fast.

Never, ever keep track of the cost. If you ever put it on paper, you will be shocked. If you just spend a little bit here and a little bit there, you'll never have to meet mister defibrillator. Just don't add it all up.

Don't add up the costs of beer and fast food and sweets and cigarettes, if you do any of those. That becomes pretty depressing too.

I saw a couple on TV who spent about 4000 a year on pepsi max. Pepsi Max, of all things! I think about that when I spend money in the tunnel, At least I spend money on something I enjoy. I drink water, and fly the tunnel.

;)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

10 grand my first year, but who's counting?!? and, 10 grand does not buy a harley, and a harley can not make you feel this good!

if you really want to talk money, buy an aircraft. anything with with word "airplane" on it cost 4X. :o

You can get a decent harley (sportster) for half that in the US.... (I am very jealous :)
http://www.hd4sale.com/pages/New/2008-04-06.html

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

It all comes down to what it's worth to you. I got my B and first rig for about 2000 but that was back a few years. This weekend I got my new Velo (50 jumps used) for 1700. I will order a new SR Vsion this week 1700. The refund will go for the new 113 optimum 1300. I've almost made 100 since 1/1. Just an average year for me.

So, after 17 years in May(11), I figure about 125G. If you don't count the medical bills. If you count them, it's about 1.5 million but thats a whole different story.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

10 grand my first year, but who's counting?!? and, 10 grand does not buy a harley, and a harley can not make you feel this good!

if you really want to talk money, buy an aircraft. anything with with word "airplane" on it cost 4X. :o

You can get a decent harley (sportster) for half that in the US.... (I am very jealous :)

but then you have to listen to all that noise and still go slow! :P i love my stock pipes on my VMax.

Well, this is my first post here. Just started AFF out at Skydive San Diego. I did 2 & 3 today.

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean. In a previous life, I was a flight instructor. Its about $6k just to get your license flying (if you're good) and then its about $100 an hour after that. Chews through money even faster than skydiving, I dare say.

welcome to the jumping world. i did it in reverse...jumped then learn to fly. i went with the E-LSA trike, under 20 grand, can do your own repairs, and low cost to fly...about 30 an hour including fuel, engine tear down costs, and basic repair.:)

I wonder, is there any question as to what this crowd will be spending those tax rebates on this year.

Mine is to help pay off my credit card. I don't dare use it for anything else. However, if I was to blow it, I would probably go buy a Blu-Ray player.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Lets not forget the unexpected, sudden costs...

Imagine a cutaway that involves a snag on a camera helmet. By my best guess, here is the approximate cost:

Flat Top Pro: $800
Camcorder: $300 (I use a really cheap one, too)
Still Camera: $1200
Fisheye Lens: $600
Memory Card: $80
Cameye/mounting hardware/cutaway system/cables: $250

So that's a little over $3,000 in the helmet alone. This is all assuming that the main is not lost, and of course not figuring in the cost of a repack and all that fun business.

I have a friend in the sport who not only accomplished this amazing feat, but it was also on the first day out with the new helmet setup (riser slap on the FTP opened the latch, slid right off his head.)
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Imagine a cutaway that involves a snag on a camera helmet. By my best guess, here is the approximate cost:

So that's a little over $3,000 in the helmet alone. This is all assuming that the main is not lost, and of course not figuring in the cost of a repack and all that fun business.

I have a friend in the sport who not only accomplished this amazing feat, but it was also on the first day out with the new helmet setup (riser slap on the FTP opened the latch, slid right off his head.)

If you think that's a high unexpected cost, you've probably never femured. It's a completely different order of magnitude, and that's a relatively inexpensive injury.

:|
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Expensive compared to what?

An excellent point.

People routinely spend thousands of dollars on dirt bikes and gear. With gas prices the way they are now, I'd bet that a day spent riding would be close in cost to 4 or 5 jumps when you figure in getting out there and back again.

I use to complain about the price of getting into skydiving, until I got into snowmobiling. In my first 3 years in the sport I spent alittle over $25,000.00 that included 500 jumps, two rigs, a wingsuit and camera equipment with helmet.

My grandfather gave me 2 snowmobiles. So $1200 for a used trailer, $350 for new trailer tires, $20,000 for a new SUV to pull the trailer (since I only owned sedans), $1000 for studed snow tires(wheels, tires and 2 sets of snow chains), $1000 for suits, helmets and gloves for family. That does not include the $100 per trip for gas. So, just to get to the parking lot with snowmobiles that were given to me it cost me $23,550.00. Oh, yeah new sleds run from $7000 to $10000 each.
Kirk

Expensive compared to what?

An excellent point.

People routinely spend thousands of dollars on dirt bikes and gear. With gas prices the way they are now, I'd bet that a day spent riding would be close in cost to 4 or 5 jumps when you figure in getting out there and back again.

Good point - I made a comparison between photography and skydiving on another board and was surprised to find that I'd spent roughly $10k on gear and training to getting the "A" license. B|

Makes the ~ $5k on camera gear I have seem like a bargain... until you add in the computer, software and camera accessories.... B|
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, but why would you? :P@normiss
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, but why would you? :P@normiss
He said decent and sportster in the same sentence:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you think that's a high unexpected cost, you've probably never femured. It's a completely different order of magnitude, and that's a relatively inexpensive injury.

:|

HAHAHAHA!!! Yea, I know someone who crashed a couple of months ago and his hospital bills are at about 214,000.00![:/];):)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I wouldn't say nuts but the man certainly has more disposable income than myself. I wouldn't buy new for my first rig though.

Nor did I. Come to think of it, I probably won't buy new again, except maybe the main canopy, which will still be a Triathlon or other similar canopy.

Prices have gone waaaaaaay up since the $2400 I plunked down for a complete brand new rig, main and reserve 10 years ago.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Go to College, get a good job, you're gonna need it for more things than skydiving.

I am in college right now and that is more the reason I am hurting financially from skydiving. I know it is less than sailing and i didn't know it is less than ballroom dancing, but it is still a major part of my income right now, I guess i cant complain unless i get injured though.B|

Shit, I just spent a little over $6000 on my first rig.:S If you only paid $2700, then you got off easy.

YOU ARE FUCKING NUTS

Yes, I know. However, it is a brand new fully loaded (that means I got pretty much every option possible, even stuff they've never done before) Vector 3 with PD Reserve, Cypres, and Safire 2. It shouldn't be a surprise that it would cost that much.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Too funny.
But if you compare other adventure or expreme sports to it, it's pretty comparative. At least learning to fly and flying is, as is scuba diving and sailing too, I think.
But the outlay at the beginning is the toughest though, really.
Gear doesnt' need to be top of the line or the most expensive to get started either.
I fact, for me I think it smartest to buy used until I become experienced and downsized too.
But buying a used rig is cheaper than renting like I needed to do up til last year...