DHolland

Damn This Sport Is Expensive!

I took a break from skydiving for about 8 months and now i am back and plan on getting licensed and jumping weekly. I just bought my first rig and my god, expenses are adding up fast. Maybe they could make a mastercard commercial out of this.
AFF: $1300
Your First Rig: $2700
Lift Ticket Cost Per Jump: $22
The look on your face when you find out this is just the beginning of your skydiving expenses: Priceless

Just would like to know how much everyone thinks they have spent in this sport our how much they currently spend per year. I need to know if I am going to have to get a 2nd job :P

-Dennis

You will soon get over the idea of determining how much you spend on skydiving. Just do like the rest of us and have your pay check direct deposited to the DZ. Saves a step.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I just bought my first rig and my god, expenses are adding up fast.

Never, ever keep track of the cost. If you ever put it on paper, you will be shocked. If you just spend a little bit here and a little bit there, you'll never have to meet mister defibrillator. Just don't add it all up.

Expensive compared to what?

An excellent point.

People routinely spend thousands of dollars on dirt bikes and gear. With gas prices the way they are now, I'd bet that a day spent riding would be close in cost to 4 or 5 jumps when you figure in getting out there and back again.

First year is always expensive then it settles down.

You'll still spend all your disposable income on Skydiving and become really good at cooking up Kraft Dinner and making PBJ Sandwiches.

The best part is you wouldn't have it any other way.

Have fun! Enjoy the ride!!

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Expensive compared to what?

Try competitive sailing, just the boat was $300,000+. And if you are on the Grand Prix circuit you better have several million available.

When I quit sailing every weekend and took up skydiving I would piss-n-moan when the proerty taxes were due. My sailing friends told me the same thing, "quit counting." I haven't sailed in three yrs but keep the boat because I know I will again. Oh, and you can tell by my forum name that it wasn't a 300K boat.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

If you get into a Soaring Club, it'll be about the same;

Scuba..about the same.

Kitesurfing is expensive upfront for classes and gear, but not so much after that.

Competitive sailing is expensive, like Mike said. My family has been into competition sailing since I was very small and all the yacht club dues and costs and maintenance of the boats and regatta fees really add up. About 5 yrs ago, I decided to stop crewing for my brother and start skydiving. Perhaps I'll go back some day but I couldn't afford both at the same time.

10 grand my first year, but who's counting?!? and, 10 grand does not buy a harley, and a harley can not make you feel this good!

if you really want to talk money, buy an aircraft. anything with with word "airplane" on it cost 4X. :o

10 grand my first year, but who's counting?!? and, 10 grand does not buy a harley, and a harley can not make you feel this good!

if you really want to talk money, buy an aircraft. anything with with word "airplane" on it cost 4X. :o

haha which answers the question that many people have:
Q:What makes planes fly?
A:Money!

To the OP, i hear you. 300 to put my new rig together, putting round 300 towards a coach rating course, first curency jump was 70. I was out of work for a while due to injury so spending that kinda cash before even jumping made me remember what this sport costs! Thank god im a packer:)
BASE 1384

Well, this is my first post here. Just started AFF out at Skydive San Diego. I did 2 & 3 today.

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean. In a previous life, I was a flight instructor. Its about $6k just to get your license flying (if you're good) and then its about $100 an hour after that. Chews through money even faster than skydiving, I dare say.

Over the last 7 years, I've spent about 40K on skydiving. (I really haven't jumped much in the last 2-3 years)
Boooo!

With regard to other sports/activities, skydiving is nothing when compared with ballroom dancing. I've spent well over 12K in a little over a year and I'll easily surpass skydiving if I keep this up. What scares me is that I haven't even competed much, which is where your money gets drained very, very quickly. (I understand the ladies have it worse because of the expense of costumes/dresses).
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Can you explain why ballroom dancing can be expensive it is boggling my mind.

Certainly, I'll do my best to answer your question.

Well, for starters, you do need a pair of dance shoes, which can cost about 100-200 dollars a pair. Depending on how much you dance, and how serious will determine how often you need to replace them. I'm still on my first pair (for now)

Lessons (this is where your money mainly goes)
I work with Fred Astaire, which is a franchised dance studio, and each lesson costs about $100. They have you buy your lessons in blocks, so 10 lessons costs about $1000. I'm pretty serious about it, so I use up ten lessons in about a week or so. I usually buy a block of 30-50 every six months. My last block of 50 cost about $4700.In order to entice you, they do offer bonus lessons, and other incentives to get you to sign up. They gave me 15 bonus lessons for that block that I bought.
Now all of that is just for basic lessons. I've found that each instructor makes about 20 bucks a lesson, so the remainder goes to the studio (franchise fees/overhead/etc) Now all of that is just for basic lessons. Until very recently, you could buy blocks of just private lessons or group classes, if you so desired. Now you have to buy a combo blocks of groups/private lessons.

They charge different rates for other activites. Choreographed showcase routines (like Dancing with Stars) cost about $2800 (I've done four so far).

There is a program called Starlight, where the instructor will go with you to a dance club where you can put what you've learned in the studio, on the dance floor. Each Starlight costs (last I checked) about $300. This includes three hours of dancing and dinner on the studio.

Now competition is where the real money is made. Depending on what you do (solo showcase/open/closed patterns) will determine the cost. A competition can cost 4-5K easy. That includes entry fees/and entry for each heat you dance in, and a Saturday night dinner for you and your instructor. Now I haven't talked about costumes (you gotta look good, just like skydiving). I try to piece together what I need to wear from my closet or Goodwill. The ladies on the other hand, need dresses, and the cost of a ballroom dress can run upwards of $3000 (if she doesn't make it herself or rent one) If you don't believe me, Go here

Let me calculate total cost of my last comp:
Entry fees + 2 showcase entries: $1400
Routine choreography/lessons=$2800
My costumes: $25 (Phantom of the Opera mask/glue/2 roses)
Total: $4225 (approximate)

Now if you go out of the local area/state to compete, add in airfare, hotel rooms, meals (just like a boogie)

Does that answer your question? (I got 2 first places for the routines)
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Let me calculate total cost of my last comp:
Entry fees + 2 showcase entries: $1400
Routine choreography/lessons=$2800
My costumes: $25 (Phantom of the Opera mask/glue/2 roses)
Total: $4225 (approximate)

Now if you go out of the local area/state to compete, add in airfare, hotel rooms, meals (just like a boogie)

Does that answer your question? (I got 2 first places for the routines)

WOW:o that's a Hell of a lot of money to look gay:D:D:D
Justkidding. i admire dancers

My brother and his former wife used to own and run a dance studio, just like DZOs there's not a huge ammount of money to be made (at least initially) especially if you want a good studio space in a good area.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?