tetra316

Roaming cat question

My cat has dissappeared:( He usually goes out during the day and comes in at night with occassional overnighters for a day or two. However, I haven't seen him since last Saturday. Now I'm starting to wonder if he'll be coming back. I've already check the local shelters just in case and plan on rechecking in a couple days.

So you cat owners, do you think I should leave food outside for him? I've never done that always thinking if he's hungry enough he'll come back in. Any helpful tricks?

Do you have any neighbors on vacation? sounds like he might have gotten locked in a garage.

Well...I just moved but only a couple blocks away. I have been checking back at the other house every evening but he's already come back to the new house a couple times before this so I'm sure he knows where home is. As for neighbors I have no idea, I don't even know any.

Although not often, my cat will take off for a week at a time. It worries me, but he has always made it home.
Leave an outside light on and some food.
Hopefully he'll find his way back soon.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

The only way a cat should be let outside is if you live in the middle of freaking nowhere and have no neighbors. Anything else is irresponsible pet ownership and being a less than considerate neighbor. :S Although I don't wish any harm to your cat, you also know that's a risk you take when being neglectful of pets like that... the cat's the one that pays the price.

Lecture done :)
Does anyone live in your former place? Have you asked if they have seen the cat? A very large live-trap might not be a bad idea to sucker the wayward feline in for a meal and catch him.. maybe one at each the old and new house (assuming the new owners of the old place are ok with that). Putting food out won't help much unless you are watching the food bowl non-stop.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

The only way a cat should be let outside is if you live in the middle of freaking nowhere and have no neighbors. Anything else is irresponsible pet ownership and being a less than considerate neighbor. :S Although I don't wish any harm to your cat, you also know that's a risk you take when being neglectful of pets like that... the cat's the one that pays the price.

Lecture done :)
reply]

Lecture accepted. Yes I do know it's risk however I do NOT think it's being neglectful. I still wouldn't change it even if he does/doesn't come back. He's always a much happier cat after being let outside ( I have kept him inside for up to 3 weeks once due to surgery.)

As both a cat owner and former neighbor of someone who let their cat out most of the time, I do feel it's neglectful. My 3 cats are never allowed out, and they are perfectly happy hunting bugs in the house and sunning themselves in the huge windows.

My neighbor's cat has killed more birds, rabbits, and fish in my fishpond than I can count. I have rescued everything from mice to rabbits from it, so it's not guesswork that the carnage in my yard is from this thing.... he doesn't eat them, just kill them. So I pellet gun the fucker in the butt. Not enough to hurt it or embed the pellet in the skin, I only pump the gun up enough to sting him a little. Not everyone is as nice as I am... that cat will end up hit by a car or shot with something more powerful than my pellet gun one day.

Just because not all your neighbors complain doesn't mean they appreciate your cat in their yard... it's rude to them. A cat doesn't understand traffic, it's neglectful to let it out to play in traffic like that. Cats who are kept in the house are perfectly happy being kept in the house. If you want to let him outside, do it in a fenced yard and supervised.... that's responsible pet ownership.

Edited to add I really do hope yours comes back fine and healthy... As much as I bitch about cats, I really would be crushed if anything happened to one of ours.

Sometimes, poor kitty has to live outside. Not that I agree with it. I am usually an indoor cat person, but one of my two cats was peeing on the floor everyday. Tried everything, every remedy, EVERYTHING! The vet said I had three choices...live with the cat piss all over the house (no way, that is disgusting) , put the cat down (HELL NO!), make kitty an outdoor cat. I was very nervous and two months in, so far so good. We do have a fenced in backyard and she doesn't really leave the backyard.

I do realize sometimes kitties do preferred to live outside, it may be in more their nature for some of them. But I think a fence or some kind of invisible fence training is good.

I really hope your kitty comes home and when she does maybe consider some kind of fence or training.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

My cat has dissappeared:( He usually goes out during the day and comes in at night with occassional overnighters for a day or two. However, I haven't seen him since last Saturday. Now I'm starting to wonder if he'll be coming back. I've already check the local shelters just in case and plan on rechecking in a couple days.

So you cat owners, do you think I should leave food outside for him? I've never done that always thinking if he's hungry enough he'll come back in. Any helpful tricks?

Has he been fixed ????
Mine used to like getting in peoples cars when they left the windows open, he scared an old neigbour of mine she set off he was asleep on the back seat and then wanted out sharpish.
Hope he comes home .

LilD
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

While I am not the biggest fan of letting cats roam, I really hope he comes home soon.

I am sure he is fine, he is probably walking on cars and damadging personal property like my neighbors cat. When he is bored he will come home, or he will break into my apartment and run amok. I will return him back to you in that event. :|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

My wife tells me that one week may not be the end of the world if you cat hasn't been neutered. Do you have the "chip" in him? It may be mating season, so he may be out having a good ole time.

You should probably send a few pics to the area shelters just in case.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My neighbor's cat has killed more birds, rabbits, and fish in my fishpond than I can count.

And that is exactly why I appreciate that my next door neighbor lets their cat run free. It is the only predator around to take care of those goddamn rabbits that keep digging holes under the foundation of my house, patio, porch, and drive.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My wife tells me that one week may not be the end of the world if you cat hasn't been neutered. Do you have the "chip" in him? It may be mating season, so he may be out having a good ole time.

You should probably send a few pics to the area shelters just in case.

Yes he's neutered but no chip. I think I might be considering that.

I'm gonna say 2 things & I hope nobody gets pissed off.

#1 It's a cat, and it's gonna do whatever it wants to do!

#2 It's a male cat! Male cat piss stinks like hell!
If your cat is tagging the wrong spot or walking on someone's car, your new neighbors might not be very nice to kitty.

Just my 2 cents. :|

I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I'd have to disagree. My 2 oldest cats are 12 years old now. The first 10 years of their life they lived in 3rd floor apartments where outside was only the patio. 2 years ago I moved to the dz, and they managed to escape a few times. They LOVE being outdoors. Now I just let them out whenever they want. I have to almost trick them to get them to come inside at bedtime. They're both skinnier, more energetic, and seem healthier than they ever were before.

I certainly wouldn't let them out if I lived where I used to live, but I'm amazed - they've gone from acting like they were 12 and sleeping all the time to playing like young cats again.

Sorry I can't help you in retrospect. We always taught our cats to connect "wet kitty food" with the sound of a spoon being hit on top of a cat food can. I have had to use it twice, driving around the neighborhood and tapping on the can hanging out the window, be we always got the cats back. FWIW, it works.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

As both a cat owner and former neighbor of someone who let their cat out most of the time, I do feel it's neglectful. My 3 cats are never allowed out, and they are perfectly happy hunting bugs in the house and sunning themselves in the huge windows.

My neighbor's cat has killed more birds, rabbits, and fish in my fishpond than I can count. I have rescued everything from mice to rabbits from it, so it's not guesswork that the carnage in my yard is from this thing.... he doesn't eat them, just kill them. So I pellet gun the fucker in the butt. Not enough to hurt it or embed the pellet in the skin, I only pump the gun up enough to sting him a little. Not everyone is as nice as I am... that cat will end up hit by a car or shot with something more powerful than my pellet gun one day.

Just because not all your neighbors complain doesn't mean they appreciate your cat in their yard... it's rude to them. A cat doesn't understand traffic, it's neglectful to let it out to play in traffic like that. Cats who are kept in the house are perfectly happy being kept in the house. If you want to let him outside, do it in a fenced yard and supervised.... that's responsible pet ownership.

Edited to add I really do hope yours comes back fine and healthy... As much as I bitch about cats, I really would be crushed if anything happened to one of ours.

Your kidding right...... Who would keep a cat inside its whole life[:/]
just like seeing a tiger in a big cage!! Sure your cat might be CONTENT but it doesn't know any better..... Tell your neighbor to put a bell on his cat Put a bit of wire over your pond and be happy its killing the mice and rabbits it sounds like you have in your garden!!!! I suppose you nursed the mice back to health and let them go maybe into your garden again????

My cat is the mother of all rat and mice catchers but he gets a bell during the day. If i tried to now keep him inside for the rest of his life he would go nuts...No way i could do that its just not right. If he dies .... he dies.... But at least my cats LIVED fought for its little piece of territory and become a great little hunter!

And who lets countless numbers of there fish to die without doing anything... Responsible pet ownership???

Live traps can work. and id place them around your old house... Even though you've moved your cat probably has a nice bit of territory and wont be giving it up without a fight so thats probably where hes been heading ...This can lead to problems especially if it has to now cross roads to get there. I hope everything works out for the best and it turns back up. Its never nice to loose a pet [:/]

The longest ive herd of a cat going missing was my mate moggy who disappeared for a week and a half then turned back up safe and sound . :)
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

http://www.rd.com/newsletter-archive-parent/laugh-lines/laugh-lines-housework-hilarity/article28466.html

Scroll down to "Humor in Uniform" and you'll have a pretty good description of why my black and white cat disappeared for 2 weeks. :| He returned, thankfully, but was still pretty pissed. I think he never forgave us. [:/]

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Sounds like you have the attitude:
I'll let my animals run free. It's YOUR responsibility to protect your property from them.

What's wrong with that picture?

Farm cats are working cats and do a service.
City cats are not. They are destructive.

I would guess that attitude extends to your vicious dog...and your bully kid...and your whatever.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Very true Pops.

And to the guy who feels that way, yes, I really did nurse 2 mice back to relative normalcy and let them go in my garden again. I have no problem with the critters in my yard. A chipmunk gave birth in my house then died (of natural causes as far as I know) in my house and I raised the 2 babies (Squeak, Stumpy, and Annie) until they were big enough to fend for themselves too.

I have no problem with barn/farm cats.... they do a job, they are generally to some degree feral. House cats are not feral, they are pets.