Groundbound

1st static q

Relax, have fun and follow your instructor's teaching.

Literally anything beyond the above that you read about on the internet won't apply to you personally and can be potentially dangerous!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm finished with IAD (similar to static line) and I'm on my coach jumps. Listen to your instructors and ARCH ARCH ARCH. Also, if your not sure about anything, even if it seems like a minor detail, don't be afraid to ask! Once again, ARCH, and youll pass all your static line jumps wtih no problem.

Here's one issue I have mininightmares about:
We are on radio with him. I have seen the operation in action and he talks via handheld to the newbie, descending parachutists. I remember him shouting LEFT as in pull the left (toggle? rope?). Then PULL BOTH or something like that to flare at the landing.

Here is my dilemma and I am sure I will hash it out with him beforehand....

He never says

a) How Fast to pull
I could snap it down quick, or leisurely, or something in between?

b) if you should pull all the way down or what.
I could pull to my shoulder, my elbow, my waist - which?

Thanks!

Have you taken your first jump course yet?

If not, this will be covered in depth! If you have taken it, express your concern to your instructor.

I can not stress enough how dangerous it is for you to learn from the internet, especially at this stage in your progression!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Appearently you missed my first reply.

So... Let's try again:

Smile, Breathe, Relax!!! B|B|B|

Regardless of how useless you think my advice is now… I am confident that someday you will look back on this and realize that this is one of the key elements of success in this sport.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Here is my dilemma and I am sure I will hash it out with him beforehand....

He never says

a) How Fast to pull
I could snap it down quick, or leisurely, or something in between?

b) if you should pull all the way down or what.
I could pull to my shoulder, my elbow, my waist - which?

Thanks!

Don't worry.

You will get taught all about what to do before you get on the aeroplane. You're not expected to just pick it all up over the radio while you're in the air;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Have you taken your first jump course yet?

If not, this will be covered in depth! If you have taken it, express your concern to your instructor.

I can not stress enough how dangerous it is for you to learn from the internet, especially at this stage in your progression!

This is very good advice.

The radio procedures will be covered during the class.
How fast to pull, how far to pull, what the commands will be.

Different places use slightly different phrasing, and anything anyone says will only confuse you.

Serious (if generic) advice -

Stay hydrated and fed. It will be a long and intense day. You won't be able to do your best if you are hungry and thirsty.

Dress appropriately. Warm, cool or somewhere in between depending on weather/location. Layers that you can add or remove is best.

Make sure you understand what is being taught.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Make sure you go before you get geared up. If you really want to annoy your instructor, wait until you are fully geared up, ready to get on the plane and then say "I gotta go":D:D:D

Most Important - Don't forget to have fun:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I am planning on my first static line jumps and wondered if anyone has any tips. I have only done one tandem, ever.
Thanks

(Really... the folks here are NOT trying to duck your questions... we're all instinctively wanting to write books of information to you, but we've also learned that the BEST thing for you to do is NOT get partial answers here to these questions, but insist on getting good answers from your instructor.)

Relax, breath, listen to what you are taught and enjoy. :)
JW
(sitting on my hands to keep from typing more internet advice)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

You have received here all the advice you need, Dave: Wait for the course and talk to your instructors.

If you're just unable to curb your enthusiasm, read a book.

Specifically, read this book.

It's full of good information that you can apply to any instructional method and it will give you a head-start on the information side of skydiving. Knowledge is power, as they say.

Have fun!

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

First ... all that will be covered in detail during the ground school prior to your first static-line jump. You would be wise to listen closely to your local instructors.

They will teach you enough that you can steer the parachute to a safe landing - without a radio -. Listen closely to everything your local instructors say about steering your own parachute - by yourself.

I know where you are coming from, that is very respectful of you towards my instructor, and has the potential to save me problems if I were to erroneously mistake your experiences as advice on what I should do when I get there.

It does however, leave a poster completely in the dark about what to expect. That is all I am asking for, and all I would do with any offered info is bank it as "what others have experienced".

Wish there was a way around this dilemma. A DZ.com poster like me will end up asking those they know who have done this before, for their experience. I could ask the teenager who did it last year about these details. Somehow I think the combined knowledge of the many here, who do it regularily would provide better information.
The other advantage of hearing answers on this forum is
a) hearing a range of answers is useful to get a scope where 'normal' might lie.
b) if there are universally accepted practices - I could start getting them now rather than using only short-term memory on the day of the jump.

Maybe I should put the questions as a poll on member's experiences?

OK lets try this question.

If one fails to flare at all (ie person freezes up or physically unable as in unconscious etc), what might they typically expect?
Broken bones, or just a strained ankle?!
Just trying to learn the unflared descent rate and impact forces.
I promise not to use any answers to modify any of my bonafide training, I and my heirs absolve any responders of all legal liability!
;)

The answer is "it depends" and that's the reason why asking it in person helps. It depends on the particular parachute you're using, your weight, the terrain where you're landing, and probably other stuff it doesn't occur to me to think of off hand.

The previously suggested book (Parachuting), or JUMP: Skydiving made fun and easy both give a lot of information that the author thought about before just spouting off.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If one fails to flare at all (ie person freezes up or physically unable as in unconscious etc), what might they typically expect?

Either would be fairly typical, or it could be nothing, or it could result in much worse injuries, or death. You take your chances.

But seriously, it is a bad idea for anyone to give you any advice yet about what you will learn. Even if the advce you got was correct, you don't yet even have a reference frame to correctly process what people would tell you. We can't put a rig in front of you and talk you through it. We can't show you the controls. We can't demonstrate your exit position and get you to practice it.

Your instructor will be able to do all these things on the day, and he will be there to make sure you are learning and understanding what he is showing you. All we can do is give you easily misunderstood words. Relax, chill out and wait for your course.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

OK lets try this question.

Just trying to learn the unflared descent rate and impact forces.
I promise not to use any answers to modify any of my bonafide training, I and my heirs absolve any responders of all legal liability!
;)

You could walk away without a scratch or you could die or anything in between. Seriously.

There are WAY too many variables to answer that question. It depends on wingloading, type and size of canopy, condition of gear, your descent rate, where you are landing (terrain conditions), how you impact the ground, winds, other obstacles in your way, how you fly the canopy etc, etc, etc. The only good answer we could give you would be to ask your instructor since only they will know the answers to the above conditions.

I've known students/experienced skydivers that have landed without a flare that have walked away unhurt and others that have broken various bones (back, wrist, ankle, leg whatever). You probably won't actually die from not flaring but you could hit your head on a rock just right, helmet or no, or snap your neck instead of PLFing correcting.

Chances are you'd be just fine but this IS skydiving after all. Not bowling.

I am planning on my first static line jumps and wondered if anyone has any tips. I have only done one tandem, ever.
Thanks

It's OK to open your mouth and smile! It's not like riding motorcycles where you have to worry about bugs. ;)

Welcome to the sport!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."