Darius11

Need Math help.

I am trying to figure out what distance has a car traveled. the car goes zero to 60 in 5.8 sec.

Then setting that as the fastest the car can possibly accelerate. I am trying to figure out what’s the fastest possible speed the car could reach in 32 yards.

Can anyone help me?
Please write formula so I know how to do it.

Thank you
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I am trying to figure out what distance has a car traveled. the car goes zero to 60 in 5.8 sec.

Then setting that as the fastest the car can possibly accelerate. I am trying to figure out what’s the fastest possible speed the car could reach in 32 yards.

Can anyone help me?
Please write formula so I know how to do it.

Thank you

D*R=T

rearrange that to suit your needs.

Can’t do distance over time because we know how fats the car can go in 5.8 secs. But don’t know how much distance the car travels. So I have to assume an average acceleration rate.

Don’t know how to figure that out.

Then after the average acceleration rate is determined I have to find out what is the fastest possible speed the car could be at when it is at 32 yards.

I have no idea if this is even possible.

While this could be done in theory a LOT of assumptions would have to be made. In particular that the acceleration is constant. I would wager a guess that NO car has a constant acceleration rate from 0-60. There are simply too many variables as far as the efficiency of the engine, transmission and tires are concerned.

Let's just look at the engine. Engines rarely have completely flat torque curves and can rarely accelerate from 0-60 in one gear. Because of this, just based on the engine alone the car might start out somewhat slower in the 0-5 range, pick up considerably in the 5-50 range and then slow down the acceleration in the 50-60 range. I'm not saying that's the case with the car you might have in mind, just that the acceleration will probably vary over the course of the run.

Based on that, a simple 0-60 time is almost meaningless in trying to figure out how fast it would be going after 32 yards.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Are you trying to get out of another speeding ticket?

John I am asking for help, not from you from people who are interested in helping me out. I know you feel the need to say something on every post I make because of our differences of ideas but it is almost like you can’t wait till I make a post in Bonfire. How board are you man?

Pitiful that’s all I can say.

Don’t expect another response from me.
God knows I try to ignore your threads can't you do the same?:|

While this could be done in theory a LOT of assumptions would have to be made. In particular that the acceleration is constant. I would wager a guess that NO car has a constant acceleration rate from 0-60. There are simply too many variables as far as the efficiency of the engine, transmission and tires are concerned.

Let's just look at the engine. Engines rarely have completely flat torque curves and can rarely accelerate from 0-60 in one gear. Because of this, just based on the engine alone the car might start out somewhat slower in the 0-5 range, pick up considerably in the 5-50 range and then slow down the acceleration in the 50-60 range. I'm not saying that's the case with the car you might have in mind, just that the acceleration will probably vary over the course of the run.

Based on that, a simple 0-60 time is almost meaningless in trying to figure out how fast it would be going after 32 yards.

Thanks man:)
I kind of thought it would be impossible, but I figured I would try to see if one of the brilliant minds we have on here could figure it out. I have been out of school so long I can’t remember 99% of the formulas I learned.

The answer to all math questions is 42.

You're welcome. :|

Yes. I like this answer.

;) Bet the real answer, based on constant acceleration, wouldn't be very far off from mine either. :D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

So what you are saying is Yes, you trying to get out of a Speeding ticket?:D:D:D

Oh yea dude it is for court.

I am not even trying to argue that point or hide it.

I am just sick of Johns BS on every post I make and would love it if he realized he doesn’t like me and just ignored me. I think ignoring me rather then being always ready to pounce on a thread I have posted would be better for all of us.

The answer to all math questions is 42.

You're welcome. :|

Yes. I like this answer.

;) Bet the real answer, based on constant acceleration, wouldn't be very far off from mine either. :D

I would even love to know the answer based on constant acceleration if someone has that.

My brain hurts too much. B| Where did you get the 32 yards figure from? That's like only 1/55th of a mile!

Google earth, I used the average car length. 196” and then found a car on the picture and used what the car size was and transferred it over the other distance on the same Sat picture.

I would even love to know the answer based on constant acceleration if someone has that.

60 miles per hour = 88 feet per second.

88 * 5.8 = 510.4 feet

32 yards = 96 feet

96 / 510.4 = 0.188

60 * 0.188 = 11.285

So . . . I'm going to say that at a constant acceleration rate, the car would have been going 11.285 mph at the 32 yard mark.
quade -

If the speed is constant, then you would do this:

T/R=D

Unfortunately you need to calculate utilizing beginning and end velocities.

Even with all kind of assumptions, one this is for sure: speed is not constant since he is accelerating ;)

Assuming _acceleration_ is constant (and Quade made it clear that this is a big assumption to make), what you have is:

x = Vinitial * t + 1/2 a * t

where Winitial is your initial speed (0 if starting standing still), t is the time, and a the acceleration
Remster

I see what you did as a calculation, but if you use the method I stated in actually measureing this, you would find that the car would be traveling faster than that in 96 feet.

From the start you have a faster rate of acceleration which tapers off as the car shifts out of first gear, and actually flattens out as the car increases in speed.

That's why I said unfortunatley, velocity for him would not be a constant, and actually is would be a somewhat spiral curve(but not exactly), instead of a straight line.

We could all calculate this to death and be very wrong, or measure it with the means I suggested,and get the actual answer.

From the start you have a faster rate of acceleration which tapers off as the car shifts out of first gear, and actually flattens out as the car increases in speed.

Or . . . you have a SLOWER acceleration rate at the very beginning.

What if you have a front wheel drive, turboed car with a lot of torque and is prone to wheel spin off the line . . . ;)

Not that I know anything about THAT situation.
quade -

60 miles per hour = 88 feet per second.

88 * 5.8 = 510.4 feet

32 yards = 96 feet

96 / 510.4 = 0.188

60 * 0.188 = 11.285

So . . . I'm going to say that at a constant acceleration rate, the car would have been going 11.285 mph at the 32 yard mark.

But you're not using it as acceleration, but rather constant velocity? figuring out inerta from a stop is the part that's giving me a headache. :S
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1