RALFFERS

Lazer eye surgery

Am thinking about having it done... Yes, I know to obviously get someone with experience & a good reputation, but the things is, despite all that - would you do it? I know a few of you are eye doctors; please chime in. Anyone who's gone through this - please let me know of your experience with it...

Now that I started working again, I have to decide really quickly on whether to go through with or not as I am currently insured (but soon wont be, as soon as my 1st check comes in.) I only have a -1.0 in my right eye & a -0.2 in the left (at least that's what it was 18 months ago & I don't see any differently) so it's not like it's a big deal; but nonetheless I'm not good about wearing my glasses & don't like too.

Another problem not related to the above is, as I said - now that i'm getting paid, my medicare coverage will be cut, leaving me without any insurance. No, I'm not a leach feeding off the system & will gladly pay for coverage if it was made available - problem is, I'm excluded everywhere except medicare because of the C.P. Obviously, for jumping, as well as other day-to-day things...I need health insurance!

I may sell supplemental benefits - BUT - I don't understand how insurance companies work.. :S There are many other things riskier than jumping, & something else I could be excluded for, but not the C.P. What the hell?!... [:/]

I hate actuaries & underwriters... (wish I didn't :() Nothing personal to anyone.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I had it done in January and love it. I've had some problems with dry eye brought on by the fact that I work full time around fire, but I use eye drops religiously and the doc says the dryness is just an annoyance at this point, no harm being done.

I passed up the opportunity to do it in 1999 and regretted it up until the point I had it done in January.

It's been a long time since I heard anything about insurance covering Lasik though, so I'm not sure where the insurance comes into play in your decision.
Killing threads since 2004.

My husband had it done this year and is really happy with the results. The doctor determined he only had to have one eye done, which was nice because it really cut the cost. He only missed one afternoon of work and besides the normal recovery time of a little swelling and having to use special eye drops, there was nothing weird or odd that happened.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm contemplating it as well, however my insurance doesn't cover it and I agree with the previous poster, very few, if any, companies do. One solution could be is a flexible spending account offered through your employer, which will deduct a certain percentage from your wages pretax which can be used to cover medical expenses otherwise not covered by your insurance, including laser eye surgery.
As for the surgery itself, there are a number of different versions, your surgeon will recommend the most suitable for you. Whatever happens, don't go to the place offering the cheapest procedures, make your decision according to the reputation of the clinic and the number of surgeries they've done.
Good luck!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

My Doc said I'm too old now for it.:o Been wearing contacts since i was 12. Got them for playing hockey, and liked them so much.

I fear eye surgery, yet had it when i was 4. Still got that crazed lazy eye when i look over my shoulder.:S

I would try one eye only for the first year on the eye that is worse.

I had PRK surgery a few years ago and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has got the itch.

Having PRK instead of Lasik was a bit of a disappointment because PRK is a little more invasive and takes alot longer to heal. They told me I would be uncomfortable for a few days. Uncomfortable my ass! I was in crazy pain for 2 days and felt like a bag of shit for a month. I couldn't look at a computer screen without the contrast turned down, sunglasses and the lights of for about a month. Drops helped, but the relief dissapated quickly.

That aside... I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. The only reason I am telling you that story is because I had only expected to be disturbed at work for about a week and that was not the case. It caused some real problems trying to get my work done for about a month. They might tell you otherwise, and it will most likely be better for you.. but it can happen. :)

Cheers and gl.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I hate actuaries & underwriters... (wish I didn't :() Nothing personal to anyone.

Yeah! Damn us for doing our jobs!!!!
How did I know you were gonna pop up in here?.... Hiiiiiiii Valllllllll :)
Now, shush you! :P:D You know that bike riding is more dangerous than skydiving, or that my disability (as it relates to health insurance) does not get worse over time - unlike cancer. Yet I'm denied for the former. :S

I just don't understand how the numbers are worked out, that's all.

I just don't understand how the numbers are worked out, that's all.

I've never worked for the Health/Life side, so I can't comment on that specifically. What I can say in general, however, is that a certain group, no matter how much you don't think it happens, costs a company more money than other groups. Hence, that group gets charged more or excluded. As much fun as it would make my job, actuaries really don't sit around and decide who we hate and charge them more.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I had PRK in both eyes over 10 years ago. Went from 20/800 (left) and 20/600 (right) to 20/25 (left) and 20/20 (right). My vision hasn't changed at all over time.

Insurance didn't cover it, but I consider it some of the best money I've ever spent!

I'm cool with having to pay for it out of pocket if insurance doesn't cover it - that's alright, it still needs to be done.

What I am worried about is the need of health insurance for everything else. Obviously, I need it just like everyone else but am denied for the above reasons everywhere I go. I'm going to be buying supplemental from where I work, but still need regular coverage to go along with it.

What is your left eye script? There is no such thing as -0.2... it's either -2.00 or -0.25 or -0.5?

If you were glasses part time, why would you want a surgery that is full time? How old are you? Any dry eye or allergy issues? Are you ok with wearing reading glasses at 40? Being a little nearsighted like you are is actually a GOOD thing at 40, and you will lose that advantage.

Do a search on here for LASIK and PRK and you will find craploads of information. For skydiving, I'd recommend PRK. PRK is NOT more invasive than LASIK as one person stated... it's actually much less invasive. PRK cornea heal to 100% after surgery, LASIK corneas never heal to 100% strength again (which is why I would not recommend LASIK to skydivers).

If you have specific questions, let me know. I do a lot of pre and post op care for several different refractive procedures ,though my gut instinct is that with a script as low as yours, the risk probably far outweighs the benefits in your case.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I hate actuaries & underwriters... (wish I didn't ) Nothing personal to anyone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i still love you. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Being a little nearsighted like you are is actually a GOOD thing at 40, and you will lose that advantage.

Hi, Jen. I think I met you last year at Start Skydiving in Lebanon, Ohio. You wrote the article about the fuzzy helmets, right?

Anyway, I have been nearsighted for years and my vision is still decent in my 50's. In fact, a couple years ago, I forgot my glasses and did 4-way and landed okay. I don't think I'll ever do the LASIK thing. I work all day without my glasses and read at night without them. Your thoughts??

Blue Skies! B|
Ed Lightle

What is your left eye script? There is no such thing as -0.2... it's either -2.00 or -0.25 or -0.5?

If you were glasses part time, why would you want a surgery that is full time? How old are you? Any dry eye or allergy issues? Are you ok with wearing reading glasses at 40? Being a little nearsighted like you are is actually a GOOD thing at 40, and you will lose that advantage.

Do a search on here for LASIK and PRK and you will find craploads of information. For skydiving, I'd recommend PRK. PRK is NOT more invasive than LASIK as one person stated... it's actually much less invasive. PRK cornea heal to 100% after surgery, LASIK corneas never heal to 100% strength again (which is why I would not recommend LASIK to skydivers).

If you have specific questions, let me know. I do a lot of pre and post op care for several different refractive procedures ,though my gut instinct is that with a script as low as yours, the risk probably far outweighs the benefits in your case.

Oooops, sorry for the faulty memory on the script. :$ You just jogged my memory, the left eye is -0.5 & the right is -1.0 (that being under the assumption that it hasn't gotten worse.)

Thank you for that information; I never knew there was something like PPK, nor was I aware of its benefits over LASIK. About the part-time thing though; the doc I saw said to wear these corrective lenses full time - & at first, for like a year I was really good about it. Now however, they're constantly lost, or I just don't feel like wearing them I'm gonna stop doing that though.

So what your saying is I should wait till it's worse to have the procedure done?... Fair enough.

Edited to add: You asked how old i was, forgot to about that... Going on 27 at the end of July.

I hate actuaries & underwriters... (wish I didn't ) Nothing personal to anyone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i still love you. :)
Okay, so hate was a strong word - I'm sowwy... :$ Val, ya know I luvs ya too! :)
GROUP HUGGGGGGGGG! :)

Where are you 2 hiding anywa??....

Has anyone ever had contacts implanted? My eyes are to bad for all the laser stuff and I wanted to have it done as soon as possible. I would appreciate a PM if anybody did it.

Define 'too bad for all the laser stuff'? Are your corneas too thin? What is your prescription? Do you correct to 20/20 (see 20/20 WITH your glasses or contacts)? Dry eye problems? Age? Allergy issues? Other health problems/medications? There's a lot that goes into determining if you are a candidate for a refractive procedure or not... more than most people think.

About the implantable lenses.... I'm not a huge fan of the concept... they put an artificial lens up against the natural lens of the eye. Problem with that is theoretically, that kind of trauma (and to a very fragile ocular system, that is traumatic), it may increase the odds of traumatic cataracts forming/earlier onset of cataracts. I say theoretically because the procedure hasn't been around long enough to know for certain.

Depending on your age, goals, ocular health, and prescription, a better option may be a lens replacement. They remove the natural lens of the eye and insert an artificial one.... the same procedure as cataract surgery, but before the cataract actually forms. Drawback is that you will need reading glasses for all close work after the procedure.

Exact prescription:
Eye: Right
Base Curve: 8.6
Diameter: 14.5
Power: -8.50
Axis: 20°
Cylinder: -1.25

Eye: Left
Base Curve: 8.6
Diameter: 14.5
Power: -9.00
Axis: 160°
Cylinder: -1.75

I'm not familiar with the american system of measurement so I have no clue what 20/20 is. I'm 20 and (as far as I know) as healthy as can be. No allergies and my eyes are never dry. I can let my contacts in 24/7 for 2 weeks straight if I have to.

I'm not sure about it but I think the replacement gets ruled out cause of the cylinder. I don't really think it's a great option anyways since I don't really feel like reading glasses either. I wouldn't take the risks and then still needing what I'm trying to get rid of.

Yep, I'm the fuzzy helmet girl. I want to get back out to SS, especially now that you have 2 former Chambersburgers there.... you guys have both Selena and Greg, and I miss the living crap out of both of them... give them both a hug for me :)
Anyway, my bet is that you're a tiny bit nearsighted, maybe -1.00ish... the perfect script... you can function at distance reasonably well, you can focus up close reasonably well, the best of all worlds :)

Achchchchchchchchhhghghadkfgaoihgioandg!! 2 weeks straight in the contacts? Think underwear... you wouldn't wear the same pair of underwear for 2 weeks non stop because it's gross and unhygenic, you'd at some point clean them. Contacts are even worse... they are mostly water, so absorb everything in your tears and the air around you, they get really nasty by the end of 2 weeks. Even with the lenses like Purevision and Focust Night/Day, it's a good idea to pick one day a week to leave them out overnight to clean/disinfect and give your eyes a break. The risk of corneal ulcer with sleeping in lenses, even those lenses approved for it, is pretty high.

Ok. Contact lens lecture done :)
Depending on your corneal thickness, you may still be a refractive surgery candidate, so I'd go see a surgeon and get a pre-op workup... worst case scenario, they say you aren't a candidate, you keep wearing contacts, and go merrily on your way. LASIK would probably be your best option based on the Rx, but only the surgeon can determine that, and even then only after measuring your corneal thickness, corneal topography, etc. If you're wearing soft contacts, make sure you don't wear them for at least 2 weeks prior to the consultation, or all the readings are thrown way off.

You're the right age, health, and script for refractive surgery, you just need to find out if your corneas are thick enough for candidacy. :)

With your script, although you could get refractive surgery done, you'd be nuts to do it. You function fine without glasses (except maybe for night driving/night jumps/movies, far distances) and when you're 40 you'll be delighted to be a little nearsighted... not having to get readers like most other 40 year olds. If your vision doesn't bother you enough to wear your glasses very often, then it probably isn't worth it to go through the risk of surgery over it.

Hehe thanks on the how to wear a contacts lesson;)
I nearly always take them out over night and I just let them in for a long time if I believe the hygienic circumstances are worse where I sleep than in my eye:S

I'll consult a surgeon when I'm back in Switzerland. How high costs can I expect?