warpedskydiver

Cougar Shot and Killed in Chicago Tonight

The report read that it was being spotted for weeks......if that's the case, then the police could have lured it somehow, while waiting for animal control. Fuckers!! >:(

Btw, Roscoe village is only about 10-15 minutes away from my house - I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about this.

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Um, they said animal control was there and couldn't find it then left....

It had been running loose evading capture for days....

It is a wild (UNPREDICTABLE) animal capable of human injury and/or death....

If the cops had seen it and not shot it, people would be bitching about them not getting it when they had the chance, especially if it had then injured or killed someone or their pet.

Yes, it is a sad day for the cat, BUT unless he could be SAFELY contained until tranqs got there, too bad so sad.

Even if the cops themselves had the tranq guns, you realize tranquilizers take several minutes or more to work on the animal depending on where it is shot with them.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

What was Amazon doing in Chicago??

No way can you pin this on me. >:(>:(

I think the cops reaction was very very sad.. the poor thing was cornered and essentially harmless this is just a bunch of macho assholes looking for a kill[:/]>:(>:(>:(.

This was probably someones pet that got away... some people do keep them as pets.. I had a friend in Ohio who had a very playful cougar as a pet.

I have seen many big cats in the wild and I will give them a pass every time. They perform a function in the ecosystem of weeding out the weaker animals that need to be removed.

They are also beautiful creatures and true hunters. Most people would be very very lucky to even see any of the cats in the wild... they are reclusive and stay away from people.

What was Amazon doing in Chicago??

No way can you pin this on me. >:(>:(

I think the cops reaction was very very sad.. the poor thing was cornered and essentially harmless this is just a bunch of macho assholes looking for a kill[:/]>:(>:(>:(.

This was probably someones pet that got away... some people do keep them as pets.. I had a friend in Ohio who had a very playful cougar as a pet.

I have seen many big cats in the wild and I will give them a pass every time. They perform a function in the ecosystem of weeding out the weaker animals that need to be removed.

They are also beautiful creatures and true hunters. Most people would be very very lucky to even see any of the cats in the wild... they are reclusive and stay away from people.
Like Remi said..........SWOOSH!!! :D:D:D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I think the cops reaction was very very sad.. the poor thing was cornered and essentially harmless this is just a bunch of macho assholes looking for a kil

Riiiiight. Ok. Put your ass out there with cop equipment and react to a potentially dangerous situation with a dangerous animal. Pitbulls are bad enough, but a damned cougar? Shame on animal control for not quickly and correctly reacting to protect the animal's life by being the first responders. You know the officer's shift briefing didn't include a "hey, there's a cougar running around, so we're going to try to setup some live traps and issue out some tranq rifles even though you've never been trained on them, so good luck!" Their shift brief consisted of police officer duties, which really don't include dealing with dangerous animals on a daily or even weekly basis.

Blame training, blame the system, but the officer reacted as they were trained to in a deadly force scenario.

And not the hot older chick cougars looking for young meat. That's an acceptable cougar in the city.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You know the officer's shift briefing didn't include a "hey, there's a cougar running around, so we're going to try to setup some live traps and issue out some tranq rifles even though you've never been trained on them, so good luck!"

Why Dave, what could possibly go wrong???

:D:D:D:D:D:D
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Ever seen a scared couger.. they cower or climb a tree... they ONLY attack if you threaten them.. keep back.. keep your distance and the evil mean kitty will just hiss and growl a little and will not move. They had it cornered next to the porch.... watch the video.. and watch Chicago's not so finest act really stupid and kill a creature that did not need to die.>:(>:(

Ever seen a scared couger.

Honestly, no. I've seen Mountain Lions and Bobcats, but never a cougar.

they cower or climb a tree... they ONLY attack if you threaten them

Yeah, if you say so. You know I've never been trained in cougar cultural awareness and I'm not a bird and turtle officer (game warden), so I wouldn't know. What is easy to observe is that a large animal, that is dangerous and an obvious danger to human life and property is not properly detained.

How many of those Chicago officers had been trained to properly deal with a cougar? How many have been trained that a cougar may not attack you unless it feels threatened and how? You don't know, do you? Then you can only say that it was unfortunate that there was a lack of training in regards to an extremely rare situation for a city cop. Blaming the officers may be a little much.

Could the officer has acted differently? Maybe, but I wasn't there and neither were you, so you will never know how you would have reacted if you were in their shoes with their training or lack of training regarding specific incidents.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."