Jessica

DZ.commers -- then and now

Look at your profile. There's a date that shows when you first signed up on DZ.com. Mine is Oct. 19, 2000.

Describe what your life was like then, then describe what it's like now.

Then: Twenty-four-year-old newspaper copy editor. Swingin' single. Idea of a good time was to drink and smoke and behave raucously until the bar kicked us out. Kind of lonely. Lived in a one-bedroom apartment in the trendy part of town with two parrots. Thought about nothing but skydiving and how to skydive more. Traveled a LOT. Had big dreams.

Now: Thirty-one-year-old high school journalism teacher. Married. Pregnant. Idea of a good time is DVR'd episodes of The Office and 30 Rock along with a pint of cookies 'n cream. Happy. Lives in a three-bedroom house in the 'burbs with a cute boy, a cat, and one parrot. Does not skydive. Does not get to travel as much as she wants. Has big dreams.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I'm still pissed i wasn't invited to the wedding!! :P

Anyhoo, i'll have to do my then & now later...i'm actually kinda too busy at work to get into it now.

Miss you!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Then: Thirty five year old skydiving equipment salesperson on disability while recovering from a spinal fusion. Had one particular guy that I'd have sex with on a semi-regular basis. On lots of drugs. Idea of a good time was two minutes without pain. Lived near Perris on a half acre with my teenage son, two dogs, three sheep and a horse. Thought about nothing other than getting my life back. Had big dreams.

Now: Forty two year old full time college student. Happily taken. Idea of a good time is walking miles into the woods and setting up a tent or enjoying a cold beverage from a non-descript red cup. Live in northern California and love it. Love to travel. Barely staying current. Has a really big dream.

Then: Single, packing bitch, living with mom or in bunkhouse at DZ, no job (in between jobs ;) Didn't care about much other than skydiving. Jumping every chance I got.

Now: Common law, 6 week old son (born on leap day Feb. 29th), own a house, good 9-5 job, hate packing, jump maybe 6 weekends a year. Don't care about much other than my son and my girlfriend.

My life is way different. Jumping less, but enjoying it more when I do.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Interesting topic. Today's my 12 year skybirthday! :D

12 years ago I was a sedate and ordered woman....just going through a divorce.

Now, 12 years later, skydiving's got under my skin and my thoughts are more wide open then they've ever been. To keep out of the political conversation and controversy (that will for sure send this to SC), the simple (personal) changes since starting skydiving are (in this order):

--started drinking coffee (yeah, I -was- completely innocent enough to not have even tasted this!)
--changed my white Acura for a red Mustang!
--started drinking beer/wine (thanks to another skydiver who introduced me to that)
--got a tattoo
--pierced my ears

Go ahead and laugh, but in my bio family upbringing those are HUGE changes (and 3 of the 5 changes they still don't know about). And I wouldn't change it for the world. The view is alot happier and colorful than ever before and I have my skydiving family to thank for it. :)
>

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Then: Arrogant, Know-it-all that could piss of the pope, just started skydiving, but couldn't get enough, working construction watching checks and profit go to other people.

Now: Still arrogant, and know that I know less than I ever knew then, and can not only piss off the Pope, but the Baby Jesus and Mother Mary as well. Still working construction, but watching the checks and profits go to the insurance companies from own pocket. Slowed down on the skydiving a bit, but not overly much.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Then: 22 years old, working full-time at major mortgage company, working part-time at a grocery store, going to school, had a few jumps under my belt, loving life.

Now: 27 years old (today), still loving life. Married with a 17 month old son, not jumping quite at much, still going to school. We own two flight schools, I own my own vinyl and sign/banner making business, and I am a stay at home mom.

Then: Hated Skyride. Made self-depreciating jokes about hearing loss. Posted lots of sick, twisted, or funny pictures.

Now: Still hates Skyride. Still joking about hearing loss. Not posting as much stupid crap as before. Dad to a 2 year old.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Then: 35 years old, married, owned a home, raising 2 kids and working for my Dad in Central Florida. I went skydiving only if it didn't interfere with my kid's schedules.

Now: 42, married, own a home, raising 2 kids and working for my Dad in Central Florida. I go skydiving only if it doesn't interfere with spending time with my kids. They mostly ignore me now unless they need money. :P

Pretty much the same life, I just have a different husband and home. :ph34r: Oh, and I have more wrinkles and cellulite...damnit. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Then: 30 year old excited about doing my first four s/l jumps the previous two days. Single, home owner, and happy.

Now: 32 year old excited about getting my instructor rating (weather permitting) this weekend. Engaged, owner of a house for sale, and very happy.

Miss you, Jessicakes!

The first time I registered was sometime in June, but under this screenname I registered August 15, 2001.

Then: 21 years old. 70-some skydives. Single. Innocent (pre-Sunshine days). About to start my last year of school. My idea of a good time was to drink and makeout with boys. Also, my first nephew had recently been born, and I LOVED hanging out with him. I was obsessed with skydiving but too poor to do it much, and I wanted to go to every boogie I could.

Now: 28 years old. 1200 skydives. Still single. Less innocent. Working downtown crunching numbers. My idea of a good time is still to drink and makeout with boys (I just don't do it nearly as often :ph34r:). I also still love hanging out with both of my nephews. I love skydiving more now than I did then, and I want to go to every skills camp I can. My appreciation of skydiving grew, but my obsession level faded.

There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Then 29 years old, married only a few months to a guy I loved but was convinced was suicidal since he jumped. I had one tandem and no plans to do more. Optometrist, living in suburbia with far too many animals. No kids, hoping to adopt someday.

Now 33 years old, just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. Had our ups and downs, but mostly ups. 650+ jumps, AFF instructor, Rigger. How the fuck did that happen when I had no urge to ever do more than a tandem? Optometrist, selling the house in suburbia after moving to my dream home in the country, still too many animals, and in the process of adopting out of foster care.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

September 29, 2004

Then: 33, still a student skydiver, only had about 7 or 8 jumps, had only been to one DZ. Didn't think I'd even post on DZ.com (hah!). Single, homeowner, living in Seattle. Working at a job I liked but didn't love. Thought Bonfire was weird and didn't make a damn bit of sense - every time I poked my head in here it seemed to be a bunch of random threads and inside jokes and people I didn't know.

Now: 37, C licensed skydiver, around 350 jumps, have jumped at 22 or 23 DZs. That whole not posting thing, well, we can see how that turned out. In a happy relationship, still own the same home in Seattle. Just got laid off from a job I loved. [:/] Think Bonfire is weird and doesn't make a damn bit of sense - every time I poke my head in here it seems to be a bunch of random threads and inside jokes and people I don't know. ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Innocent

BAWAAAHAAA!

I'm pretty sure Bill said that I was 99% angel or something like that. Or I said that and attributed it to Bill...either way, Bill said it! And Bill's never wrong! :ph34r::)

My angel rating went down after I met Sunshine, Wildblue, Remster, Phreezone, Jessicakes, Skybytch....and the rest of you crazy nuts!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Then I was 31 just starting AFF loving every minute of it. Had a great house with a lake view in Tahoe, single, no kids, working for a family practice/ urgent care, and always had extra money for fun stuff.

Now I am 35 didn't finish with AFF, adopted my little brother, have a small apartment with a view of the mountains if i look out the window just right, bad knees, and all extra money goes to activities for the little guy in the house,I still work in an urgent care/family practice, and have met alot of great people from here.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Then: ~Grumpy old fart. :(

Now: ~Grumpy OLDER fart. >:(

But in the scheme of things - you are only .000000000000034% older.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun